Unpopular Opinions #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Therefore my opinion is, the way people spell their name is how you should spell it
My name can easily be shortened and when I send emails I sign off with my full name as that’s the way I wish to be called. 9 times out of 10 I get a reply back with it shortened. It’s so bloody rude!

Reactions: 10
Honestly I think repeatedly misspelling a foreign name is totally unacceptable and ignorant, however I personally don’t see an issue if someone fails to get the pronunciation right (unless they’re getting it so badly wrong they’re saying a completely different name altogether)
This reminded me of an issue my mother had at the GP lately. The GP mispronounced her name so badly that she didn’t recognise it as hers, the GP then wrote it on a peace of paper and then still mispronounced it after my mum told her how to pronounce it. And then, because it wasn’t enough to mispronounce a name that many are able to pronounce without issue, she told her that she should have come with a translator… because she didn’t recognise her mispronounced name

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
I have a name that can be spelt multiple ways - I don t care how people spell it, it would never cross my mind to correct someone or to be offended or annoyed if someone spelt it wrong! X
My name only has 4 letters yet I still get people adding extra letters to make it the same name but spelt differently, it’s only 4 to start with!! Why are you trying to make it longer!!!
This isn’t my name but it’s like being called Tracy and someone spelling it Traycee

• Haha
Reactions: 2
People who didn't donate to a cause or GFM etc should STFU about how the money is spent. Why is it those who donate never seem to have as much as a problem with how its spent than those who didn't donate.

I would not have thought this would be a UO but when you see so many who didn't give anything telling others how it should be spent I think it will be a UO.

Reactions: 4
My surname is like this. It starts with a G but on every letter I receive they spell it with a J. Infuriating.
Similar here. It doesn't have a Y or E in but that's how everyone spells it. Partly because now it's a bloody boys name! (one of those stupid ones that are actually surnames - not like James, Thomas, Martin, etc)

And no one can pronounce it - it's English / Scottish.

On the other hand, I think when a GFM is set up specifically for medical treatment (usually not available in the UK) then it shouldn't be spunked away on other stuff.

If the GFM is simply to support a family, then they can spend it on whatever they like.

Reactions: 6
It’s a multifaceted word in Scotland - use it in many ways.
My mum ( a Londoner) said her and her friends always greeted each other like this when she was little . "Whatcha my old bleep" I thought she was lying or miss-remembered but read years later that it was used as a greeting

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
UO: if you start work at 9am and you’re regularly strolling into work at 8.59, knowing it’s going to take you 10 minutes to log in and get going, you’re late. A start time of 9am means you are ready to start work at 9am, not just in the building for 9am.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
The whole name thing is annoying, my name is super phonetical, and people still get it wrong. My favourite name I’ve ever been called is Elaine 😂 there isn’t even an E in there

UO: if you start work at 9am and you’re regularly strolling into work at 8.59, knowing it’s going to take you 10 minutes to log in and get going, you’re late. A start time of 9am means you are ready to start work at 9am, not just in the building for 9am.
If they’re not going to pay me for being there at 8:50, I’m not going to be there for 8:50

Reactions: 22
If they’re not going to pay me for being there at 8:50, I’m not going to be there for 8:50
But if you’re being paid to provide a service from 9am, you should be ready to begin providing that service from 9am - like call centre staff, receptionists, retail etc

Reactions: 3
Nah my job takes up enough of my time for too little pay so I make no apologies for strolling in and making a coffee etc. Work shouldn’t be a prison camp

Reactions: 17
What kind of computers are you all using that 10 mins to get started??

'Getting going' for the day is so vague. I work on software projects and when we scope out work, even though our days are 8 hour work days, we always use 6/6.5 hours as an estimate for a work day on actual project material because people always get pulled into other tasks - answering emails, messages, HR stuff etc.

Reactions: 9
It’s annoying when people count every second and minute that they work. Won’t stay a minute past their finish time but spend half the day avoiding doing anything useful🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.