Unpopular Opinions #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think breastfeeding is as taboo as people make it out to be, or maybe i have become desensitised to it?

I had no interest in doing it myself so maybe i didnt notice it, but my friends who did are all happy to whip out their boobs anywhere so I assume they haven’t been mumshamed for this
The fact it becomes a news story when someone is asked not to do it in a shop or wherever tells me it's not really an issue. You never see the headline 'woman feeds her baby in Costa and no-one batted an eyelid'

Reactions: 1
Thank you for giving me some insight into chronic disability. I was trying in my original post to think of reasons why certain medics are dismissive of illnesses that they can’t easily diagnose and how the nhs is criticised by so many people. Is it the nhs as an institution or the people they employ? I’ve been treated by the nhs for serious illness and will always be grateful.
I have a chronic/invisible illness and multiple health issues and been in and out of hospital since I was 13. I’m now 30 so I’ve seen nearly every type of doctor there can be.
I find a lot of the younger doctors are more likely to be open minded about chronic illnesses and invisible illnesses and look ‘outside the box’ when it comes to your medical care. However they are very few and far between. Older doctors have grown up in this world where chronic illnesses and invisible illnesses automatically meant you were a trouble maker, you weren’t working hard enough to make yourself better, it’s a ploy to get attention etc. Very outdated thinking. The last two types I think are the most controversial but it’s a massive issue and I think it needs to be addressed. I am a woman and the majority of doctors I have seen have been male. Male doctors love to dismiss female patients and their pain and can often treat us like we are hysterical or that pain is part of our life and we should deal with it. This is generally in my experience from older male doctors. And to segue into my final point and maybe the most controversial- a lot of the doctors in the NHS aren’t British. I don’t have a problem with that, if you’re helping me then your background or religion doesn’t matter. It does cause an issue with chronic illnesses and invisible illnesses because of cultural issues, these doctors can be very rude and abrupt and it’s almost like if they can’t see the issue then there isn’t one. It also causes an issue when related back to how male doctors treat female patients, when you have a doctor who comes from a culture where women are second class citizens then they can end up treating women in a similar matter here under the NHS.
This is just my view and what I’ve experienced throughout the years and from talking to other people suffering with long term health issues and other women who have faced similar discrimination. It’s not all the time but it does happen enough that it should be mentioned.

Reactions: 5
The fact it becomes a news story when someone is asked not to do it in a shop or wherever tells me it's not really an issue. You never see the headline 'woman feeds her baby in Costa and no-one batted an eyelid'
well yeh that happens sometimes, but its not a case of it being done every single time a woman whips out a boob but the way that some woman go on about it, you would think they are being shunned from Society in general for breastfeeding or get comments every single time

i can see why you’d think this and forgive the thesis I’m about to write but hopefully it makes sense! It’s really close to my heart as it’s my experience so I’m not having a go I’m just really passionate about it and suggesting that normal tests = no illness is a common misconception (and I guess understandable) - if that’s true I’d better sell my wheelchair eh? 😅

Many, many illnesses do not have reliable one size fits all diagnostic tests or treatment. My condition is a cluster of symptoms that over 250k people in the UK have - whilst everyone experiences this condition differently, there are main symptoms that everyone experiences that if they could be treated, would drastically improve my quality of life and allow me to work more. Would you tell someone with rheumatoid arthritis or M.S which are diagnosed by exclusion that they don’t have an illness because it isn’t showing up on tests? Long Covid/ME don’t have diagnostic tests either but shall we not set up any research into the treatment of that? mental health issues don’t show up on tests but are real. Should the healthcare system just assume that we know everything there is to know and not strive for more effective treatment and understanding of common but complex illnesses?

People deserve quality of life and research into little understood conditions - surely that’s the whole point of healthcare? Currently a lot of treatment IS inadequate and patients are just expected to live with pain. Tests coming back normal doesn’t just magically disappear your symptoms and make you all better although I wish it did 🤪

Research into treatment for these conditions is underfunded and slow and a lot of that is to do with people having really crap attitudes towards chronic/‘invisible’ illnesses. People only care when it happens to them. Is it that an individual member of the NHS’s fault? No. I don’t view the nhs negatively because they can’t treat me, I view them negatively when they deny me my basic dignity because of their own preconceived opinions and views on disability. Maybe I’ll never be cured, but tbh I’m fine with that, they’re not miracle workers and I don’t think healthcare will advance enough in my lifetime.

However that doesn’t mean I should be neglected and left to piss myself because I can’t walk but the nurses believed I just wasn’t trying hard enough. I’m talking about medical negligence which if you have a widely misunderstood chronic illness is sadly a really common occurrence. I have met some fantastic doctors who tried their absolute best for me but it doesn’t make the traumatic experiences any easier to deal with.
As someone who is paralysed by MS I find this whole illness thing from the other poster entirely bizzare. Oh to live in a perfect health bubble where the NHS is a 5* exemplary service. I have been in hospital for 14 months. My care has been both excellent and inhumane.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
well yeh that happens sometimes, but its not a case of it being done every single time a woman whips out a boob but the way that some woman go on about it, you would think they are being shunned from Society in general for breastfeeding or get comments every single time
I've mentioned my dad a lot on this forum. He's in his 80's and very old fashioned. He doesn't like adverts for sanitary products because 'some things should be private' . We were in a cafe recently and a lady on the table started feeding her baby. I braced myself expecting dad to say something but he didn't bat an eyelid. I genuinely don't think society cares.

Reactions: 8
My name is 'normal' and at 41 years of age I have to spell it out and pronounce it for most people.
I feel your pain 😅😅 my surname is common as muck but I always have to spell it out (even though there’s only one way to spell it) and I always thought about that when naming my children in the hope people could spell their names easily!

Reactions: 2
if you have to book two seats on a flight because you're too fat to fit in one then you shouldn't be flying. I'm not talking about slightly overweight people because hey, most of us have a few extra kgs, I mean the people who are so fat that you wonder how they manage to wipe themselves after a shite.

also, not everyone has a bikini body.

Reactions: 10
if you have to book two seats on a flight because you're too fat to fit in one then you shouldn't be flying. I'm not talking about slightly overweight people because hey, most of us have a few extra kgs, I mean the people who are so fat that you wonder how they manage to wipe themselves after a shite.

BIB: sponge on a stick. Or [not to bring the discussion this way again] a bidet. Allegedly.

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Nah fr, take this as an example.

My surname is like this. It starts with a G but on every letter I receive they spell it with a J. Infuriating.
My name is very uncommon as it’s Indian and I just ask people if I can write it down for them now as it’s easier than spelling it out. I don’t mind people spelling/saying it wrong if they’ve only heard/read it but it does annoy me when people constantly get it wrong. I’m doing teacher training so get observed when teaching on placement. Every time I got the feedback form my name was spelt differently, despite it being the same person who did all of my observations. The mentor was lovely and really helpful but it really annoyed me how they knew my name was difficult to spell but couldn’t take a minute to check it, or at least spell it the same wrong way every time.
Therefore my opinion is, the way people spell their name is how you should spell it and if you can’t be bothered to check don’t bother trying.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
My name is very uncommon as it’s Indian and I just ask people if I can write it down for them now as it’s easier than spelling it out. I don’t mind people spelling/saying it wrong if they’ve only heard/read it but it does annoy me when people constantly get it wrong. I’m doing teacher training so get observed when teaching on placement. Every time I got the feedback form my name was spelt differently, despite it being the same person who did all of my observations. The mentor was lovely and really helpful but it really annoyed me how they knew my name was difficult to spell but couldn’t take a minute to check it, or at least spell it the same wrong way every time.
Therefore my opinion is, the way people spell their name is how you should spell it and if you can’t be bothered to check don’t bother trying.
That’s really poor and horrible to not make an effort to spell your name correctly and so consistently incorrect is uncalled for. I would be really upset about that, especially something so important.

Reactions: 5
That’s really poor and horrible to not make an effort to spell your name correctly and so consistently incorrect is uncalled for. I would be really upset about that, especially something so important.
I've worked for the same company for 15 years and both first and surname is consistently spelt wrong.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I also have a foreign last name and totally understand that it can be difficult to pronounce/spell. I do appreciate when people make an effort, one of my managers struggled a bit but she did it from memory by the second time, made a mistake and then got it right within the next few tries. Just felt so good?

I do wonder whether she's made the effort because she's not British herself and understood the importance of that 🤷‍♀️ But that might be a bit of a fig roll conversation

I have a name that can be spelt multiple ways - I don t care how people spell it, it would never cross my mind to correct someone or to be offended or annoyed if someone spelt it wrong! X

Honestly I think repeatedly misspelling a foreign name is totally unacceptable and ignorant, however I personally don’t see an issue if someone fails to get the pronunciation right (unless they’re getting it so badly wrong they’re saying a completely different name altogether)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.