Unpopular Opinions #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 1500862
i spent more time looking at the leg than the bikini 😬🫣
Really? How strange. I noticed the following things in this order 1 - the top doesn’t look like it fits, 2 - I love the model’s smile, 3 - oh god, it’s PLT, the quality will be awful and finally 4 - she has a prosthetic. The first 2 took up most of the time I spent looking at it.

Reactions: 6
Maybe it’s just the stuff I see on TV/watch in my free time but the quality of series has really declined. I can’t tell if it’s bad script writing or acting but it just doesn’t seem right

I love that disabled people are getting represented more. We do exist, you know, and we do like wearing pretty clothes. Not that I’m saying anyone here has said otherwise, but the thing is disabled people are so underrepresented in the media it can be like we don’t exist or people can have a good gawk at our missing leg/wheelchair/funny stims or body movements and then we fade out of existence until the next good gawk comes along. Which leads to the kind of comments like ‘omg I spent more time looking at her leg than the clothes’ when in reality… who cares? It’s a prosthetic leg she’s not being propped up by ultra realistic dildos is she. 😳

(Sorry for saying ‘we, we’, I don’t mean to speak for everyone and it sounds wanky AF but it IS something that affects everyone with a disability 😅)

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I love that disabled people are getting represented more. We do exist, you know, and we do like wearing pretty clothes. Not that I’m saying anyone here has said otherwise, but the thing is disabled people are so underrepresented in the media it can be like we don’t exist or people can have a good gawk at our missing leg/wheelchair/funny stims or body movements and then we fade out of existence until the next good gawk comes along. Which leads to the kind of comments like ‘omg I spent more time looking at her leg than the clothes’ when in reality… who cares? It’s a prosthetic leg she’s not being propped up by ultra realistic dildos is she. 😳

(Sorry for saying ‘we, we’, I don’t mean to speak for everyone and it sounds wanky AF but it IS something that affects everyone with a disability 😅)
Yeah I mean, what do people prefer? That they hide their bodies away and don’t let them ever be seen lmao? Disabled people exist and are really not that rare either considering that there are over 14 million of them in the UK. Smh some people are just pig ignorant, like how are full grown adults still oggling at disabled people like they’ve never seen an amputee before 🤦‍♀️. Clown behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
representation matters even if people don’t think it looks pretty. I went out a few weeks ago and oh my god the amount of people that acted like they’d never seen someone in a wheelchair on a night out before?! Honestly I’ve never been so dehumanised, it was bleeping horrible.

also disability and weight can be directly linked (eg I’ve put on weight because I’m disabled and can’t walk and I’m on meds that have increased my weight as a side effect) - often you can’t change your disability OR your weight, I’ve been really calorie controlling my diet and it’s just not shifting and I cannot physically exercise (which I really miss)

so my unpopular opinion is that unhealthy bodies still matter and should be respected even if they are unhealthy. I don’t need a running commentary on what I need to do or why I’m unhealthy. I know I am. I won’t ever be healthy because I have a lifelong incurable chronic illness. Should people like me hide away and never be represented? equally I don’t need people telling me how beautiful and inspiring I am but it’s be nice if disabled people’s appearances weren’t constantly scrutinised and went beyond our weight/how disabled we look/our mobility aids. It’d be useful to see people in wheelchairs or with disabilities modelling clothes (especially sat down) as I struggle to find things that look good sat down - it’s all designed for standing up.

I doubt having a chronic illness and being overweight ‘inspires’ or encourages people to be like me seeing as they spend half their time pretending I don’t exist or telling me how they’d top themselves if they were me.

But maybe if there was decent representation I could go out for a single aperol spritz without people going ‘WOOOOOW’ and treating me like I’m a freak show 🤪

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Are we all doing our reactions? If so, here’s mine:

1. She’s a glowy goddess

2. Eye shadow 😍

3. I love that we get model diversity and I hope things never change

• Heart
Reactions: 8
representation matters even if people don’t think it looks pretty. I went out a few weeks ago and oh my god the amount of people that acted like they’d never seen someone in a wheelchair on a night out before?! Honestly I’ve never been so dehumanised, it was bleeping horrible.

also disability and weight can be directly linked (eg I’ve put on weight because I’m disabled and can’t walk and I’m on meds that have increased my weight as a side effect) - often you can’t change your disability OR your weight, I’ve been really calorie controlling my diet and it’s just not shifting and I cannot physically exercise (which I really miss)

so my unpopular opinion is that unhealthy bodies still matter and should be respected even if they are unhealthy. I don’t need a running commentary on what I need to do or why I’m unhealthy. I know I am. I won’t ever be healthy because I have a lifelong incurable chronic illness. Should people like me hide away and never be represented? equally I don’t need people telling me how beautiful and inspiring I am. It’d be useful to see people in wheelchairs or with disabilities modelling clothes (especially sat down) as I struggle to find things that look good sat down - it’s all designed for standing up.

I doubt having a chronic illness and being overweight ‘inspires’ or encourages people to be like me seeing as they spend half their time pretending I don’t exist or telling me how they’d top themselves if they were me.

But maybe if there was decent representation I could go out for a single aperol spritz without people going ‘WOOOOOW’ and treating me like I’m a freak show 🤪
My mates walking with a stick now and is in pain & he hates it. It's funny how some people view him as " alright" ( not an obvious disability, like a missing leg or a wheelchair) . I've noticed this . I don't know why ? Very many people have varying degrees of disability or are not fully able-bodied , and disabilities affect so many people

Absolutely. And I feel this way about overweight people as well. Bigger people have to wear clothes too, having plus size models for clothing isn’t glamourising it, it’s simply giving people of all shapes and sizes the chance to look and feel good about themselves and to be more comfortable in their own skin.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My mates walking with a stick now and is in pain & he hates it. It's funny how some people view him as " alright" ( not an obvious disability, like a missing leg or a wheelchair) . I've noticed this . I don't know why ? Very many people have varying degrees of disability or are not fully able-bodied , and disabilities affect so many people
i can only speak from my experience but I think it’s a mixture of things:

1) loads of people refuse to use mobility aids that wouod
Improve their lives because they see it as ‘giving up’ or being ‘negative’ (look at the Queen)
2) people don’t understand that fluctuating disabilities are a thing and think disability means you can’t walk (people have gasped when I have stood up from my wheelchair to reach a shelf LMFAO)
3) there’s just not enough representation or education about disabilities. people are very much walking sticks = old people
4) I think a lot of people really hate the idea that it could happen to anyone at any time and people with disabilities are often not born with them. It’s like mass denial. I have (ex)friends who just refuse to acknowledge my disability cos it means they’d have to acknowledge that this happened to me for no apparent reason when I was previously healthy and couldn’t do anything to prevent it. It makes them uncomfortable so they’d rather insinuate that I’m being dramatic and want some attention 🥲

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Absolutely. And I feel this way about overweight people as well. Bigger people have to wear clothes too, having plus size models for clothing isn’t glamourising it, it’s simply giving people of all shapes and sizes the chance to look and feel good about themselves and to be more comfortable in their own skin.
I love peoples excuses that it just encourages unhealthy eating as if not having clothes for fat people just stopped people from being fat! I do genuinely think body positivity is a sham, as we should promote healthier eating habits and exercising and we should also be teaching people how not to fall into territories of unhealthy eating especially eating disorders.

Sadly many people don’t recognise binge eating as an eating disorder as usually anorexia is the main focus. If someone is eating unbelievable amounts they’re clearly trying to fill a void just as how many anorexia sufferers control their weight as a way to take control of their life.

Not having plus sized clothes or plus sized mannequins isn’t going to stop people from being fat it’s just going to set in even worse body issues which can result in an eating disorder.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Are we all doing our reactions? If so, here’s mine:

1. She’s a glowy goddess

2. Eye shadow 😍

3. I love that we get model diversity and I hope things never change
Your no 2 made me go back to check, can’t zoom in enough to check out her make up but I stand by my comment about her fabulous smile, FAR too many models look totally miserable which never encourages me to buy

I couldn't care less that she's missing a leg, but she's got fat spilling out of that swim suit and looks rank. She's been picked because she's missing a leg, not because she's a model. Models are supposed to be thin, it makes the clothes look better.

People can prattle on about fat acceptance, but we all know, thin looks better. You wanna be fat, be fat, but just know that nothing will ever taste as good as skinny feels. You can't make people find fat attractive, it's evolutionary.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I couldn't care less that she's missing a leg, but she's got fat spilling out of that swim suit and looks rank. She's been picked because she's missing a leg, not because she's a model. Models are supposed to be thin, it makes the clothes look better.

People can prattle on about fat acceptance, but we all know, thin looks better. You wanna be fat, be fat, but just know that nothing will ever taste as good as skinny feels. You can't make people find fat attractive, it's evolutionary.
kate moss, is that you?!

it’s a dangerous rhetoric either way tbh - and this post is just as damaging as how you perceive seeing fat people in a positive way to be. also worth pointing out that what is perceived as attractive has changed with generations (look at classical paintings for a start): it isn’t evolutionary. but there’s a lot of worrying language in this post that i’m not touching with a barge pole 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31

We don’t all wear clothes to be attractive to other people. We wear clothes to cover our modesty, keep our bodies insulated against heat and cold, to keep us clean; to express our individuality and because it is a societal norm and you’d get arrested in most cases for not wearing any in public. No matter your size, we all need clothes and preferably ones that fit the body we have.

Thin can be dangerous too as we’ve seen very much with models who basically starve themselves in order to “look good.” Attractiveness is subjective anyway. I personally wouldn’t want to see someone’s bones poking out but that’s me. I would never shame someone with that body type just because I didn’t find it attractive.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
We don’t all wear clothes to be attractive to other people. We wear clothes to cover our modesty, keep our bodies insulated against heat and cold, to keep us clean; to express our individuality and because it is a societal norm and you’d get arrested in most cases for not wearing any in public. No matter your size, we all need clothes and preferably ones that fit the body we have.

Thin can be dangerous too as we’ve seen very much with models who basically starve themselves in order to “look good.” Attractiveness is subjective anyway. I personally wouldn’t want to see someone’s bones poking out but that’s me. I would never shame someone with that body type just because I didn’t find it attractive.
Indeed. To be honest I think people find slim/athletic bodies more attractive than model skinny. Obesity kills but so does anorexia.

Reactions: 18
Indeed. To be honest I think people find slim/athletic bodies more attractive than model skinny. Obesity kills but so does anorexia.
Generally, yes. We should continue to encourage healthier food choices and exercise. I just don’t see the point in shaming people on either end of the scale just because you don’t find it attractive. So what? Everyone’s different and going through stuff, being fat or thin doesn’t make you a bad person. You do you and all that.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

You when you got out of bed this morning 😅
71F3B6E5-DBFA-43C7-899A-6F49017E2512.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.