Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mental health issues and depression wouldn't be such a big problem if people were a healthy weight and again even less of a problem if that healthy weight was maintained by daily exercise.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
I refuse to have any real candles lit in my house, they're the leading cause of house fires

Reactions: 7
Idk.. I don't think I have self diagnosed as this but do think of myself as suffering as I didn't have any lung or breathing issues until I had my first bout of Covid in Jan 2020.. Since then every so often I get all wheezy and chesty and have breathing problems..I'm not saying there's not a lot of this exaggerating etc about though...
i had covid in march 2020 when you only got tested if you were hospitalized. i acn honestly say i have never been that ill ever in my life.
It took me a good 6 /7 weeks before i could walk even a short distance without getting out of breath.
Even now i get breathless in the cold and often get chest pain or sore throats for no reason. Like you its definitely left me with side effects but not bad enough that it stops my daily life its more an irritation and its unkikely a Dr would actually do anything

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Interesting articles in the last few days about Hollywood "Going woke, going broke" and how the inability of straight white men to even get an interview is probably going to end in a class action law suit. Apparently the staffing quotas and guidelines about topics are set, and if you don't play ball your film or series is automatically barred from winning certain industry awards etc.

I think this new trend for using light-hearted entertainment to raise awareness about perceived social or political injustices is kind of an echo chamber or an Emperor's new clothes situation. Everyone is too afraid to say "You know what, this film / series we have made is actually preachy boring bullshit that no one is going to like. I think we should write something interesting, funny and relevant, and duck who it offends."

I'm still waiting for that brave soul to turn up in Hollywood/ Netflix or the BBC production teams!

Reactions: 17
I used Angel for about a year around 2007 and I honestly had people asking what the awful smell was 😳. I find just walking past someone wearing Alien triggers a migraine and makes me feel really sick.
I was similar with lactose touch of pink. I wore it like constantly at school and people always said it smelled really weird! Now just the thought of it makes
me feel ill

Reactions: 3
I was similar with lactose touch of pink. I wore it like constantly at school and people always said it smelled really weird! Now just the thought of it makes
me feel ill
I used to spend loads of money wearing Estee Lauder Modern Muse until people started sniffing round me going "what smells like laundry? Something smells like doing the washing" and I stopped buying it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Interesting articles in the last few days about Hollywood "Going woke, going broke" and how the inability of straight white men to even get an interview is probably going to end in a class action law suit. Apparently the staffing quotas and guidelines about topics are set, and if you don't play ball your film or series is automatically barred from winning certain industry awards etc.

I think this new trend for using light-hearted entertainment to raise awareness about perceived social or political injustices is kind of an echo chamber or an Emperor's new clothes situation. Everyone is too afraid to say "You know what, this film / series we have made is actually preachy boring bullshit that no one is going to like. I think we should write something interesting, funny and relevant, and duck who it offends."

I'm still waiting for that brave soul to turn up in Hollywood/ Netflix or the BBC production teams!
There was a interesting video review of squid game and why it was so popular. The narrator said it was because there was absolutely nothing woke about it. I found that interesting.

I said something the other day about Obama and was accused of being racist even though what I said had to do with him as a person and nothing to do with colour I say the same about many politicians all over the world. but I must not include him or I am racist.

Reactions: 19
Salted caramel everything is OTT.
Particularly in cake …. Not nice.

Reactions: 10

My husband writes scripts as a hobby. He's recently written a full film that's pretty good. He wanted to enter it into a competition, but many won't accept applications from straight white men and the ones that do won't even consider letting a script by a straight white man win.

Hows that fair. He also grew up poor in a crappy little village up north. So it's not like he can use his "white male privileged" to get a foot in the door. I know he is privileged in some ways for being a SWM, and he probably wouldn't be where he was if he wasn't. But I still don't think it's fair he can't even be considered for certain things.

This country has more of a class problem than a sexuality or race problem. Look at TV, it's all people who are connected through relatives or friendsoor connection made through private schools.

It should be about getting talent through from people who aren't from rich and/or connected families.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
My husband writes scripts as a hobby. He's recently written a full film that's pretty good. He wanted to enter it into a competition, but many won't accept applications from straight white men and the ones that do won't even consider letting a script by a straight white man win.

Hows that fair. He also grew up poor in a crappy little village up north. So it's not like he can use his "white male privileged" to get a foot in the door. I know he is privileged in some ways for being a SWM, and he probably wouldn't be where he was if he wasn't. But I still don't think it's fair he can't even be considered for certain things.

This country has more of a class problem than a sexuality or race problem. Look at TV, it's all people who are connected through relatives or friendsoor connection made through private schools.

It should be about getting talent through from people who aren't from rich and/or connected families.
See to me thats totally racist to not accept scripts from white males. It's completely racist.

UO white privilege is no longer relevant in this country. I grew up poor white fatherless in a home of people on benefits and was always looked down on for it. Being white has never got me anywhere in life that I didn't take myself. At school college and workplace I have been alongside people of all different races and can honestly say I was never treated with privilege.

If anything I was treated worse as people in authority are so scared of being labelled racist.

The UK in particular has a class problem. No matter your colour if your poor your looked down on. Thee are many POC I well paid positions of power or good careers but nobody wants to hear that. They want the poor me sob story no matter the person's race.

Just my opinion.

LOL what!?
Disagree with this I had terrible PND after my first when I was a size 8 healthy and slim. My weight was never to do with it. It was a chemical imbalance in my brain.

My depression NOW is due to me letting letting myself become overweight following the PND due to hiding myself away.

Bit of a double edged sword really.

Reactions: 17
White privilege is of course a real thing. It doesnt mean you havent struggled.

Class is a huge issue in the UK though, and the issues around working class get ignored and ridiculed instead. When you add in race, it gets more complex.

Reactions: 4
Mental health issues and depression wouldn't be such a big problem if people were a healthy weight and again even less of a problem if that healthy weight was maintained by daily exercise.
So what's your explanation for slim people who have mental health issues or depression?

Reactions: 25
White privilege is of course a real thing. It doesnt mean you havent struggled.

Class is a huge issue in the UK though, and the issues around working class get ignored and ridiculed instead. When you add in race, it gets more complex.
Sorry to me it isn't and that's my unpopular opinion.

See to me thats totally racist to not accept scripts from white males. It's completely racist.

UO white privilege is no longer relevant in this country. I grew up poor white fatherless in a home of people on benefits and was always looked down on for it. Being white has never got me anywhere in life that I didn't take myself. At school college and workplace I have been alongside people of all different races and can honestly say I was never treated with privilege.

If anything I was treated worse as people in authority are so scared of being labelled racist.

The UK in particular has a class problem. No matter your colour if your poor your looked down on. Thee are many POC I well paid positions of power or good careers but nobody wants to hear that. They want the poor me sob story no matter the person's race.

Just my opinion.

Disagree with this I had terrible PND after my first when I was a size 8 healthy and slim. My weight was never to do with it. It was a chemical imbalance in my brain.

My depression NOW is due to me letting letting myself become overweight following the PND due to hiding myself away.

Bit of a double edged sword really.

I have no doubt our first POC to be PM will be my local MP who is absolutely useless as an MP and has his head up Boris arse. he is highly educated and has had a life so far removed from mine in terms of class could not get much lower than my family but I'm privileged and he is oppressed

Your 2nd point. Drs really need to understand different types of depression. No point in antidepressants for those who have reason to be depressed.

I lost everything over 20 years ago. my children, my home my career my family my friends and had to be moved by the police to a whole new area. I was depressed because I had a very good reason to be depressed, what did they do? well they didn't give me the help I needed they gave me pills that started me on a huge roller coaster

now finally 24 years later I am getting the counselling I needed back then, to help me understand what happened and why it happened. Not NHS counselling that is one size fits all but real counselling around my needs and circumstances

I have no doubt our first POC to be PM will be my local MP who is absolutely useless ( good looking though) and has his head up Boris arse. he is highly educated and has had a life so far removed from mine in terms of class. could not get much lower than my family but I'm privileged and he is oppressed

Your 2nd point. Drs really need to understand different types of depression. No point in antidepressants for those who have reason to be depressed.

I lost everything over 20 years ago. my children, my home my career my family my friends and had to be moved by the police to a whole new area. I was depressed because I had a very good reason to be depressed, what did they do? well they didn't give me the help I needed they gave me pills that started me on a huge roller coaster

now finally 24 years later I am getting the counselling I needed back then, to help me understand what happened and why it happened. Not NHS counselling that is one size fits all but real counselling around my needs and circumstances
Sorry hear what happened to you sounds awful.

I got a limited 4 talking counselling sessions but while I got them they did help.

What annoys me is I asked GP for gym pass and was told no those are only for addicts. Seen said addicts selling their gym passes 🤣

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Sorry hear what happened to you sounds awful.

I got a limited 4 talking counselling sessions but while I got them they did help.

What annoys me is I asked GP for gym pass and was told no those are only for addicts. Seen said addicts selling their gym passes 🤣
I'm paying for private therapy at the moment because the 6 sessions I got, the counsellor was so terrible that I stopped after 3. She pretty much told me that I needed to try and 'snap out of it'.

I had to go to the GP during the week and ask for medication because my anxiety is the worst it's ever been. It was actually my counsellor who suggested it.

Oh and for the record, I'm a size 6-8.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Sorry to me it isn't and that's my unpopular opinion.
I'd agree. I went to school in the mid 70s in West London & it was a real mixture of people of all cultures , creeds etc. We all went on-through night school, working hard , etc to get to what we have today. One schoolmate from Guyana has a string of car dealerships and one who has a Turkish Dad and an English Mum has his own I.T. company in Texas in America. We all put hard work in , had knockbacks etc. There's too much of this white privilege bandied around and usually by people who couldn't be bothered to attend school, or make any sort of effort etc and then moan on media that they are castigated against or don't get the chances or options. That hasn't been my experience nor my mates. I'm not saying it hasn't happened- of course it has- but it's in no way ' universal. I also know a Pilot who's family came here from Uganda ( his Dad is an Indian ) when Amin threw them out of the Country, and he - through hard work , 2 jobs etc. got taken on and trained by British Midland ( as was) & ended up flying BAC 1-11 jets. He says if he can do , anyone can , by his own admission, he's crap at maths lol ( as am I)
My unpopular opinion, to add to it .

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.