Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't want my media to be full of white men and straight people etc, and I don't care how "woke" that makes me. That said, I do think And Just Like That is bad. Instead of portraying any of the new characters of colour as their own people it comes across as a "some of my friends are X." It has all sorts of "queer" and "non-binary" characters but, with Stanford gone it doesn't have any normal gay or lesbian people
I feel the same. I don't feel like wanting representation is woke at all. I just cringe when TV shows start with the condescending, heavy handed lectures.

Reactions: 15
When looking up recipes and they have a whole essay about how they love cooking the recipe for their family and how much the recipe is loved.

Then the recipe is all the way at the bottom of the page.

I appreciate the recipes but 🙈
This! 😫 I was in tesco earlier getting Ingredients and I couldn't remember what yoghurt I needed, I'd forgotten to screen shot the recipe, so had to scroll through about 20 pages of drivel with limited signal

Reactions: 1
Don’t know if this is the right thread. But UO maybe. I’m sick of being lectured in EVERY tv drama I try to watch.
Oh that programme looks good…aaand misogyny bad, capitalism bad, can’t say those words. Toxic toxic everywhere
Oh that new series looks good and dark…aaand racism bad, transgenderism good, no human is illegal, white man evil
Riiight this series looks interesting…aaand women rule the world, straight people bad
Yaay that programme is back…aaand format changed. Everyone white is racist
And round and round it goes. No wonder I end up watching old shows
Edit-of course racism etc is bad. I’m just sick and fed up of every tv show now pushing an agenda. Mostly that straight white men are evil personified
I agree, it’s so agenda-driven, and so bloody transparent.

Something kind of related:

Don’t know if anyone here is a fan of The Sopranos, but they recently made a prequel in movie form. I’m hoping it’ll lead into a whole series of prequel episodes.

It was good, apart from one thing that made no sense whatsoever. They brought in, which had very little to do with the storyline, a black gang, and even more irrelevant a whole bunch of in-depth scenes of black activism that seemed so detached from the storyline that I thought I was watching two different movies at the same time.

I have no problem with depicting black gangs but that’s a whole other story and it did not feature in the original series at all, so why not just make a different show and focus on that? Sopranos is all about the American-Italian mafia gang culture in New Jersey. I do not expect or require a diversity quota in it. I was also absolutely fine with no white people (that I can remember) in the movie BoyzNtheHood.

Reactions: 13

Don’t know if anyone here is a fan of The Sopranos, but they recently made a prequel in movie form. I’m hoping it’ll lead into a whole series of prequel episodes.

It was good, apart from one thing that made no sense whatsoever. They brought in, which had very little to do with the storyline, a black gang, and even more irrelevant a whole bunch of in-depth scenes of black activism that seemed so detached from the storyline that I thought I was watching two different movies at the same time.

I have no problem with depicting black gangs but that’s a whole other story and it did not feature in the original series at all, so why not just make a different show and focus on that? Sopranos is all about the American-Italian mafia gang culture in New Jersey. I do not expect or require a diversity quota in it. I was also absolutely fine with no white people (that I can remember) in the movie BoyzNtheHood.
Sopranos fan ✌
I went to see the many saints of Newark, it was never going to live up to the sopranos but it was pretty good!
The Italian Mafia actually did have problems with African American gangs in NJ.. There are a couple of articles available but here is one of them https://www.nytimes.com/1973/09/04/archives/black-racketeers-challenging-the-mafia.html
When I heard the title of the movie I did a little research on Newark.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sopranos fan ✌
I went to see the many saints of Newark, it was never going to live up to the sopranos but it was pretty good!
The Italian Mafia actually did have problems with African American gangs in NJ.. There are a couple of articles available but here is one of them https://www.nytimes.com/1973/09/04/archives/black-racketeers-challenging-the-mafia.html
When I heard the title of the movie I did a little research on Newark.
I guess thinking about it, they did have small (or should I say, ‘occasional’) interactions with other gangs in the original series but I feel a lot of precious storyline space was wasted in the new movie.

I guess thinking about it, they did have small (or should I say, ‘occasional’) interactions with other gangs in the original series but I feel a lot of precious storyline space was wasted in the new movie.
I understand! Counting down the days till I forget the sopranos enough so I can rewatch it all over again 🙈 unfortunately I'll probably never rewatch the many saints of Newark.

Reactions: 2
I understand! Counting down the days till I forget the sopranos enough so I can rewatch it all over again 🙈 unfortunately I'll probably never rewatch the many saints of Newark.
I’ve been watching clips on YouTube and enjoying re-watching iconic scenes, I really want to re-watch the entire thing again. (I went to New Jersey in 2015 and as a surprise my friend drove me to the Sopranos house! But we were discreet as some people live there and apparently they’re sick of Sopranos fans keep rolling up to their property for photo opps 😳😊)

• Haha
Lin Manuel Miranda's songs all sound very same-sy and he just gives off narcissistic vibes

Don’t know if this is the right thread. But UO maybe. I’m sick of being lectured in EVERY tv drama I try to watch.
Oh that programme looks good…aaand misogyny bad, capitalism bad, can’t say those words. Toxic toxic everywhere
Oh that new series looks good and dark…aaand racism bad, transgenderism good, no human is illegal, white man evil
Riiight this series looks interesting…aaand women rule the world, straight people bad
Yaay that programme is back…aaand format changed. Everyone white is racist
And round and round it goes. No wonder I end up watching old shows
Edit-of course racism etc is bad. I’m just sick and fed up of every tv show now pushing an agenda. Mostly that straight white men are evil personified
I wish tv dramas actually explored these issues in interesting ways if they felt the need to make a comment on them. A lot of the time it's just done in the simplest of ways where the majority of people agree on it because it's black and white - no grey which is what a lot of issues are

The Call The Midwife thread has also mentioned it a bit, but the whole series has seemingly stopped reflecting actual views of the centuries they are trying to show. It just takes away from it as a whole imo

Reactions: 4
I watched The Sopranos last year for the first time and loved it. Lilyhammer on Nexflix is good with a few Sopranos references in it.

• Heart
Yes. Screw. I was so looking forward to it as it looked ace. And nope. Off it went after episode 2
The Bay. A programme I’ve enjoyed. Is now a woke fest. Grumpy white copper is bad and racist
It’s like they have to shoe horn every wokism into every drama
I was looking forward to screw too. I've seen the first 2 but it's just not very good, its a very dull prison. Bring back bad girls.

• Heart

Yes, I noticed that, watching it . I'm hoping for a prequel series too

Yes. Screw. I was so looking forward to it as it looked ace. And nope. Off it went after episode 2
The Bay. A programme I’ve enjoyed. Is now a woke fest. Grumpy white copper is bad and racist
It’s like they have to shoe horn every wokism into every drama
I binged Screw and actually thought is was good once I got into it. However lines like 'no person is illegal' are pathetic. They want hard hitting drama then leave characters like 'Gary' to be Gary. Loads of people still talk and act like him.

Given what the rest of the guards are up to, he's the least of their worries ....

Reactions: 2
Lin Manuel Miranda's songs all sound very same-sy and he just gives off narcissistic vibes
Yes. Wondering who he has dirt on as he seems to be golden boy who can do no wrong, involved with everything at the moment! I mean, he can write a catchy tune don’t get me wrong, I’m singing “Bruno” from Encanto as much as the next mum who’s seen the film 7253 times! But I didn’t like In The Heights at all, and sometimes in his songs they have so many different people singing different parts at once that I find it hard to keep track of what is going on 🤯 Hurts my head.

Yes. Wondering who he has dirt on as he seems to be golden boy who can do no wrong, involved with everything at the moment! I mean, he can write a catchy tune don’t get me wrong, I’m singing “Bruno” from Encanto as much as the next mum who’s seen the film 7253 times! But I didn’t like In The Heights at all, and sometimes in his songs they have so many different people singing different parts at once that I find it hard to keep track of what is going on 🤯 Hurts my head.
He did get a lot of criticism back in the day over Hamilton as it doesn't really address slavery, nor include any people of colour from the time period. I think it's just that Disney likes him / works with him a lot

Reactions: 4
He did get a lot of criticism back in the day over Hamilton as it doesn't really address slavery, nor include any people of colour from the time period. I think it's just that Disney likes him / works with him a lot
He also got a lot of criticism for the lack of Afro-Latino characters in In The Heights.

I was looking forward to screw too. I've seen the first 2 but it's just not very good, its a very dull prison. Bring back bad girls.
weve been watching all the Bad Girls episodes on Brit Box from the start..its so bad but so funny and watchable..it actually made prison look like a laugh !

• Haha
Reactions: 7
As someone who knows someone who is friends with LMM, I'm not getting into this one.. but I'm not really a fan of the rap style in anything.. He seems like a nice guy tho from what I have heard.. I think I met him once.. I just didn;t know what he looked like to recognise him as Lin.

As someone who knows someone who is friends with LMM, I'm not getting into this one.. but I'm not really a fan of the rap style in anything.. He seems like a nice guy tho from what I have heard.. I think I met him once.. I just didn;t know what he looked like to recognise him as Lin.
a friend of a friend of a friends friend…. This Lindor truffle guy could trace you and reveal your identity so you’re best to keep quite 😮

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Anyone self-diagnosing with "long Covid" can get in the bin marked "Fibromyalgia".

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.