Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In an ideal world, we would all have a valid, transparent reason for depression/anxiety. But trying to work through therapy unmedicated whilst you're barely eating, sleeping or functioning is potentially dangerous. Anti-depressants saved my life.

Reactions: 19
In an ideal world, we would all have a valid, transparent reason for depression/anxiety. But trying to work through therapy unmedicated whilst you're barely eating, sleeping or functioning is potentially dangerous. Anti-depressants saved my life.
They almost killed me.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I'm paying for private therapy at the moment because the 6 sessions I got, the counsellor was so terrible that I stopped after 3. She pretty much told me that I needed to try and 'snap out of it'.

I had to go to the GP during the week and ask for medication because my anxiety is the worst it's ever been. It was actually my counsellor who suggested it.

Oh and for the record, I'm a size 6-8.
Some therapist are on a total power trip. Total lack of compassion.

Reactions: 5
I had such a bad experience with therapy its put me off it completely. My therapist seemed totally lacking empathy, bored listening to me and genuinely tried to argue to why none of my issues were actual issues - it was one of the fears I had around confronting mental illness, that someone would tell me essentially I was "just being silly" which is how she made me feel.

Mental health issues and depression wouldn't be such a big problem if people were a healthy weight and again even less of a problem if that healthy weight was maintained by daily exercise.
How does weight loss or exercise help with people who have legitimate chemical imbalances in the brain which quite clearly need medication? In the depths of depression I could barely shower or get out my bed nevermind going for a run

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Antidepressants worked really well for me - bearing in mind I exercise and am slim (though not skinny) so I doubt that was the problem. On the other hand it took me ages to find one that did work. I had awful side-effects with others including one that made my face and arm twitch on one side. I panicked and rushed to A&E because a friend's epilepsy started on one side that way, as soon as I told them what I was taking they said it was that! Can't remember which one, it was an older one / non-SSRI

Reactions: 3
I had such a bad experience with therapy its put me off it completely. My therapist seemed totally lacking empathy, bored listening to me and genuinely tried to argue to why none of my issues were actual issues - it was one of the fears I had around confronting mental illness, that someone would tell me essentially I was "just being silly" which is how she made me feel.
My current therapist is the third one I'd tried (privately) I felt as though the first two just weren't taking me seriously. Not interested in what I had to say and were really just there for the money.
I was going to give up on the whole thing, but a friend recommended a lady she goes too and told me to try her, that she was different. It's a 50 mile round trip to see her, but it's worth it.

I honestly think word of mouth is the best way to find a good therapist.

Reactions: 7

How does weight loss or exercise help with people who have legitimate chemical imbalances in the brain which quite clearly need medication? In the depths of depression I could barely shower or get out my bed nevermind going for a run
I feel people are taking that post the wrong way. I cant see where they are talking about everyone? Just saying the problem would be less with healthier diets and fewer still if they got out and about more.

Diet and fresh air does play a large part in our mental and physical health. I know myself that the fewer carbs I eat and the more I work in the garden the better I feel.

Re counselling I've had some awful ones. one repeated the last 3 or for words of each sentence I spoke. so offputting, Most just sit and listen and don't actually help, most ask "how did that make you feel" when that is one of my problems. I have no idea how I felt I remember things with detachment, once it caused me to dissociate right in front of them... That was very interesting sadly I never got to see that person again so another thing that wasn't explored but almost certainly that was something that got me through my childhood even if there are huge blanks where I am supposed to remember how I felt 🤣

Look for funded counselling. mine are £15 a session but are supposed to be £48 they even asked if I was sure I could afford the £15 .

This is my local one.

Last edited:
I mean, I could eat the healthiest diet and exercise loads but BPD and the depression that comes with it is still an issue. Physical health can absolutely help for those 'good' days, but in the pits of depression a banana and a run is doing duck all.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
My current therapist is the third one I'd tried (privately) I felt as though the first two just weren't taking me seriously. Not interested in what I had to say and were really just there for the money.
I was going to give up on the whole thing, but a friend recommended a lady she goes too and told me to try her, that she was different. It's a 50 mile round trip to see her, but it's worth it.

I honestly think word of mouth is the best way to find a good therapist.

My new counsellor was the asseser. we seemed to hit it off right away. Because I'm low income I was supposed to have a trainee, (I would not have minded that as I find the newer they are the less jaded they are .) and wait a while for a space This counsellor ask if I minded having her do my sessions as she believes she can help me. especially when I said I have no idea how I felt at certain times. She said she works with physical things to help me start to express myself . I feel very lucky that I wasn't passed to someone else who might not have understood me

I mean, I could eat the healthiest diet and exercise loads but BPD and the depression that comes with it is still an issue. Physical health can absolutely help for those 'good' days, but in the pits of depression a banana and a run is doing duck all.
But no one has said diet etc will work for everyone but many people are depressed or making depression worse due to sugar overload and sat indoors all the time on a screen.

I feel people are taking that post the wrong way. I cant see where they are talking about everyone? Just saying the problem would be less with healthier diets and fewer still if they got out and about more.

Diet and fresh air does play a large part in our mental and physical health. I know myself that the fewer carbs I eat and the more I work in the garden the better I feel.

Re counselling I've had some awful ones. one repeated the last 3 or for words of each sentence I spoke. so offputting, Most just sit and listen and don't actually help, most ask "how did that make you feel" when that is one of my problems. I have no idea how I felt I remember things with detachment, once it caused me to dissociate right in front of them... That was very interesting sadly I never got to see that person again so another thing that wasn't explored but almost certainly that was something that got me through my childhood even if there are huge blanks where I am supposed to remember how I felt 🤣

Look for funded counselling. mine are £15 a session but are supposed to be £48 they even asked if I was sure I could afford the £15 .

This is my local one.
Exactly. People saying "it's not true, I exercise and I'm slim and still have mental health issues" is your own experience. I could also say that for me regular exercise was the difference between having to get on antidepressants and doing without them. For a lot of people it would really help. Bad diet can also influence mental health even if you're skinny. When I felt the most depressed was also the time when I was drinking beer most days, eating 2 meals a day (frozen meals or takeaway mostly), eating tons of sweets on top of that, and doing zero exercise. I was skinnier than I am now.

Mental and physical health are very interconnected. That doesn't mean that for everyone exercise is going to cure their clinical depression but for some people, especially those with milder issues it can be extremely helpful and save them from having to take antidepressants which have their own issues.

• Heart
I think low mood gets called depression when its simply low mood. We can all get in a funk, and taking better care of ourselves does help with that. But actual depression? Not convinced.

On that note, ADs are given out too quickly.

Reactions: 16
Exactly. People saying "it's not true, I exercise and I'm slim and still have mental health issues" is your own experience. I could also say that for me regular exercise was the difference between having to get on antidepressants and doing without them. For a lot of people it would really help. Bad diet can also influence mental health even if you're skinny. When I felt the most depressed was also the time when I was drinking beer most days, eating 2 meals a day (frozen meals or takeaway mostly), eating tons of sweets on top of that, and doing zero exercise. I was skinnier than I am now.

Mental and physical health are very interconnected. That doesn't mean that for everyone exercise is going to cure their clinical depression but for some people, especially those with milder issues it can be extremely helpful and save them from having to take antidepressants which have their own issues.
I agree - didn't mean to suggest that, just saying in my case it definitely wasn't the problem. If I WERE overweight / didn't exercise I'm sure I'd have been a lot worse

Reactions: 2
I agree. The first ever therapist I visited was also a psychiatrist (here, therapists cannot prescribe ADs, only psychiatrist can, I don't know if it's the same in the UK as well), the woman listened to me for 10 minutes before practically cutting me off with a "I'll write you a prozac, you carry on talking" without bothering to hear anything else. I rambled on for 20 minutes before she told me to use the pills for 3 months and come back when I need a refill. Glad I didn't give up on therapy after that experience but it really put me off ever wanting to use ADs.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I think low mood gets called depression when its simply low mood. We can all get in a funk, and taking better care of ourselves does help with that. But actual depression? Not convinced.

clinical depression and feeling a bit tit are not the same thing, but everyone thinks/wants to have they have a mental Illness nowadays, it’s like being Bi, kinda cool, kinda edgy, adds to your personality.

twats

• Heart
Reactions: 19
When you are depressed, it's hard enough getting thru the day. I can't imagine getting out and about when depressed. Eating healthy is not easy if you are on a low income. It's easy to say eat healthy and get out more. What are you supposed to do once you do get out. Throw yourself in front of a train maybe.

Sometimes it is hard to find the cause of your depression, other times you know what it is, but you are scared to articulate it because you know that there is no solution to it and admitting it just makes you realise the future is bleak.

Reactions: 11
So what's your explanation for slim people who have mental health issues or depression?
people get confused between own brand/Costco/diagnose yourself depression and actual clinical depression, it pisses me off.

Eating healthy is not easy if you are on a low income
I don’t think that’s true anymore, I think it’s more an excuse that’s been rolled out and reused now.

Reactions: 10
clinical depression and feeling a bit tit are not the same thing, but everyone thinks/wants to have they have a mental Illness nowadays, it’s like being Bi, kinda cool, kinda edgy, adds to your personality.

twats
Yep. The likes of Buzzfeed making FuNnY quizes around anxiety and tit adds to it. Real depression is no joke. 'High functioning' shite as well. No. People have said im HF when riddled with depression, stress (to the point my hairs falling out), anxiety etc.. its not high functioning, its adrenaline and autopilot, and ya fight or flight going into overdrive.

I love to see MH discussed more but its all platitudes. The attitudes are all still the same. Depression and anxiety (always a package innit) is acceptable when it doesnt impact others/work. Other MH conditions are still deeply misunderstood and ignored (BPD is the latest bandwagon, but personality disorders are majorly misunderstood).

I don’t think that’s true anymore, I think it’s more an excuse that’s been rolled out and reused now.
It can be in some cases. I just did a food shop online and had to keep it to £40 and had to scan to see what I could remove and i removed fruit over other things (frozen food that'll last us longer til pay day)

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.