Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jehovah's witnesses are a group of vultures, who prey on the vulerable in society.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28
People I’ve seen mostly give stuff to their kids while they are shopping just to shut them up. Like giving them the end off the French stick or packet of crisps. Feed them before you bring them or leave them at home!

Reactions: 8
Not everything needs a remakes.

What the f is this? This ain't the Fresh Prince I grew up on

And Blair Waldorf would bully these wannabes

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
People I’ve seen mostly give stuff to their kids while they are shopping just to shut them up. Like giving them the end off the French stick or packet of crisps. Feed them before you bring them or leave them at home!
I used to work at Morrisons on the checkouts. One day a woman tried to hand me a slobbery apple core that her kid had been gnawing on. This was a loose apple, sold by weight. Firstly, I don't want to touch that thanks, and secondly how am I supposed to weigh it when half of it is missing?? She genuinely couldn't see the problem.

When I asked the runner to fetch me another one to weigh, the customer wasn't happy because "That's much bigger than the one we picked up."

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
THIS! Money is for spending. If something terrible happened tomorrow and this was your miserable life it’s not worth it
Definitely 👏

For me its about saving money on bills and non essentials (tit from boohoo 🤣) so me and my kids can enjoy life.

Don't want them when I die like 'yeah mum was great we never went anywhere or did anything but she paid the mortgage off super early' 😂😂🙈

Telling expectant mothers how HARD everything is and how they'll have NO TIME FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING SUCKS is unhelpful.

Advice and/or stories- fine. If you just want to annoy people then please continue with how little sleep/time they will have for the next god knows how many years. If i hear one more' 'you think youre tired now, you just wait!!!!!!' Shut up please
Oh god this! When I was pregnant with my first all I heard was Labour horror stories and it freaked me out.

My own labour was a breeze and both mine where easy babies so I always share that with expecting mothers give them some hope lol

• Heart
Reactions: 11
i like everything made from tomatoes (sauce, soup, juice...) but tomatoes themselves suck!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
i like everything made from tomatoes (sauce, soup, juice...) but tomatoes themselves suck!
I feel similarly about onions. I love caramelised onion and onion bhaji, but I can’t have bits of onion on salad or fried on burgers 🤮

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I’m all for budgeting and saving money where you can, I love looking for tips and making my money to further where possible, but some people do take it too far to the point where it seems like they give themselves no respite from it. Maybe they enjoy the challenge i don’t know, but it seems like such a joyless way to live life. It’s one thing if you’re genuinely struggling to make ends meet and I’m not on about people like that, it’s the ones who are comfortable enough but never let themselves have any fun that I don’t understand. I sometimes wonder what these people will do with themselves when they do finally meet their goal. There need to be balance between saving for the future/paying the mortgage off early and letting your hair down every now and then doing what ever that may be.

I fucked up and had children before saving up enough to buy a house, I hold my hands up to that, it is what it is. Some years down the line and we still haven’t bought. In theory we could save up every penny we possibly could to get a small deposit together sooner, but we are not wealthy and it would still take years. The trade off would be our kids missing out on experiencing ‘normal’ childhood things like the occasional day trip or holiday, activities, school trips and what not. It’s not worth sacrificing their childhoods for, we save what we can but living life is also important to us. Houses will always be around to buy, even if the market is nuts. You only get to raise your children once.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
What happened to saying no, and dealing with the fallout of the word no? Or carrying snacks with you?

That leads onto... where has inventive parenting gone?
Mine (bar one, just) are all too old for when we had smart phones and tablets glued to us. So when I went out with them I had to amuse them myself - by talking, singing, playing games, packing toys and keeping them amused so they didn't disrupt everyone around us.

Now though I see kids in cars with tablets stuck to the back of the front seats to keep them quiet, or sat at a restaurant ignored because they're on their device. It's teaching them nothing, and goes back to the old fashioned 'children should he seen and not heard', which fucked up a generation in some cases

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m all for budgeting and saving money where you can, I love looking for tips and making my money to further where possible, but some people do take it too far to the point where it seems like they give themselves no respite from it. Maybe they enjoy the challenge i don’t know, but it seems like such a joyless way to live life. It’s one thing if you’re genuinely struggling to make ends meet and I’m not on about people like that, it’s the ones who are comfortable enough but never let themselves have any fun that I don’t understand. I sometimes wonder what these people will do with themselves when they do finally meet their goal. There need to be balance between saving for the future/paying the mortgage off early and letting your hair down every now and then doing what ever that may be.

I fucked up and had children before saving up enough to buy a house, I hold my hands up to that, it is what it is. Some years down the line and we still haven’t bought. In theory we could save up every penny we possibly could to get a small deposit together sooner, but we are not wealthy and it would still take years. The trade off would be our kids missing out on experiencing ‘normal’ childhood things like the occasional day trip or holiday, activities, school trips and what not. It’s not worth sacrificing their childhoods for, we save what we can but living life is also important to us. Houses will always be around to buy, even if the market is nuts. You only get to raise your children once.

Go on Instagram and search UK debt free community there are some absolute nutters like full on intense we will eat tins of beans until the mortgage is paid off people 😂

I follow some and their tens of thousands in debt scrimping to pay it off, can hardly afford bills yet as desperate to buy a house. I dont get it 🤣

Same as Tuesday I had mine young and totally unprepared so I rented for years and was lucky enough to be able to save to buy but only because where I live is cheap. If I was in the same position now with house prices I couldn't afford to buy my own house.

People are obsessed with buying houses. My friends rents and was pretending she had bought the house until she slipped up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Jehovah's witnesses are a group of vultures, who prey on the vulerable in society.
I have a story about JW’s. I am abit of a sucker when people knock on my door, charity’s, sales people, JW’s.

One day they knocked, I didn’t have to heart to tell them go away so I stood and listened and smiled sweetly. They came more and more often and each time I did the same, I couldn’t get my self out of it. I think they thought I was genuinely interested in becoming a JW. Anyway they knocked on one occasion during a storm, pouring rain and thunder and they had child with them. Next thing I knew I had invited them in (still don’t know how it happened, felt sorry for the child I guess ), 2 hours later they are still in my bloody house, I’m making tea and lunch for them. Some how I found my self agreeing to join and I said would be definitely be attending their next meeting 😅. …… my self and my children spent the next year hiding behind the sofa every time they knocked.they really did knock on my door once a week for 1 year! The kids didn’t understand what I was doing but went along with it. The JW’s eventually got the picture 😂

. Now If JW’s knock I take their leaflet and explain that I respect their religion, but I couldn’t possibly not let my children or my self have a blood transfusion should the need arise, so thanks but no thanks!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
You wouldn't try something on in a changing room and keep it on, because you'd be turned around and told to take it off and pay first.

Nothing is rightfully yours until you've paid
I mean you could do that somewhere boutique like and you’d eat in a restaurant before you pay 🤷🏼‍♀️
If you’ve got cash or multiple payment methods I don’t really have a problem with it other than it’s not a very nice environment to eat in.

When travelling in Australia I camped in the car regularly (it’s not uncommon, long drives and free camping everywhere but the car was pretty old) Once was in essentially a lay-by - woken up to a knock on the window by a bloody JW giving me their magazine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Yes! I've brought all my kids up to know that eating before you pay is theft.
If you can't wait to pay for your stuff then you should have eaten before, or got a snack from the sandwich bit, paid, then carry on.

You wouldn't try something on in a changing room and keep it on, because you'd be turned around and told to take it off and pay first.

Nothing is rightfully yours until you've paid
This is gonna sound a bit mad but, if I'm doing scan as I shop then I'll have a drink and give the kids food. If we're in a shop without it I'll say we need to pay first. I feel like once the barcode is scanned it's mine.

When I was a kid you always went out the shop in the shoes that you had tired on if you were buying them. So I can't agree with your clothes theory 😁

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
i hate it when you look up something like how to make candles or how to make a lasagna and you’re met with an autobiography from the author.

“When i was a child growing up in X town, my grandma Jean would make Y for me. She was a kind woman born in 1904 and blah blah blah blah blah”

No one cares- just tell me what to do before I whack it in at 200c like I do with everything else

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
i hate it when you look up something like how to make candles or how to make a lasagna and you’re met with an autobiography from the author.

“When i was a child growing up in X town, my grandma Jean would make Y for me. She was a kind woman born in 1904 and blah blah blah blah blah”

No one cares- just tell me what to do before I whack it in at 200c like I do with everything else
I’m sure I read somewhere that their is a specific reason for this? Possibly something to do with copyright, but hopefully someone else will know! I remember reading something about it and thinking “ah that makes sense”, cos otherwise it’s the bane of my life 🤣🤣

Reactions: 4

I think it's something like - google’s algorithm penalises sites whose content duplicates other sites while rewarding sites with original content so people are forced to add blurb and not just the recipe.
I agree though, it's annoying. Earlier today I had to scroll through three pages to get to the actual recipe 🙄

Reactions: 3
This is gonna sound a bit mad but, if I'm doing scan as I shop then I'll have a drink and give the kids food. If we're in a shop without it I'll say we need to pay first. I feel like once the barcode is scanned it's mine.

When I was a kid you always went out the shop in the shoes that you had tired on if you were buying them. So I can't agree with your clothes theory 😁
I did think about kids shoes when I typed that, but clearly they've already worn them around the shop in full view of the salesperson, and they tend to ask you if the child wants to keep them on so I don't think that counts.
You wouldn't try on a pair of shoes in New Look or Next, then walk to the counter in them... although I now have vision of if we did do that, then having to slam your foot up onto the counter so they can scan them 😂

You wouldn't pick up a roll or sandwich in Greggs and eat it while you queue, so in my mind there's no difference.

I can see your point in that you've at least scanned something, but I still wouldn't do it, or give in to my kids whining because you still haven't actually paid

Reactions: 3
I’m sure I read somewhere that their is a specific reason for this? Possibly something to do with copyright, but hopefully someone else will know! I remember reading something about it and thinking “ah that makes sense”, cos otherwise it’s the bane of my life 🤣🤣
I think it's because of Google's algorithm. Essentially if a food blogger just puts a recipe on a page, with little accompanying text, it'll be way down the Google search list. But if they make a massive introduction, filled with lots of keywords, it'll appear higher up.

As most of them have ads on their pages, they get money from views, hence play the game to ensure they drive traffic to their blogs.

Reactions: 2
Roll-top or fancy copper baths in bedrooms or hotel rooms are ridiculous. Who tf wants to watch and listen to someone having a bath, then cleaning it, or even worse, not cleaning it. Hotels just do it to save space. Naff.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.