Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I did think about kids shoes when I typed that, but clearly they've already worn them around the shop in full view of the salesperson, and they tend to ask you if the child wants to keep them on so I don't think that counts.
You wouldn't try on a pair of shoes in New Look or Next, then walk to the counter in them... although I now have vision of if we did do that, then having to slam your foot up onto the counter so they can scan them 😂

You wouldn't pick up a roll or sandwich in Greggs and eat it while you queue, so in my mind there's no difference.

I can see your point in that you've at least scanned something, but I still wouldn't do it, or give in to my kids whining because you still haven't actually paid
My husband wore some shoes out the shop once and handed the mortified shop assistant his dirty old trainers to dispose of. I was actually quite embarrassed but he was like "that's what we did as kids".

It's actually normally me that takes a drink to have while I walk round the shop. My 3 year old I'll usually reason with. But when the 1 year old sees his baby crisps go in the trolly, he goes psycho. So it's easier to just give him the crisps then have a hysterical baby in the trolly screaming the shop down.

Once he went made at the till because he wanted the oranges on the next conveyer belt over. The kids a bit nuts 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I do not always dislike remakes but I hate it when they are edgy, depressing versions of the source material (especially if it was originally a comedy and/or aimed at children.) No one needs that garbage. It's OK for parodies or "concept" work but it doesn't need to be actually made. SNL's infamous "Grouch" demonstrates why it's a bad idea:

• Haha
Reactions: 2
just because you didn't like/didn't watch a popular movie or show (game of thrones, harry potter...), doesn't mean you're special

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
On the remakes front they’re usually awful but the fresh Prince remake trailer does look interesting. I mean it’s completely unnecessary and will never beat the original but from the trailer it looks interesting in the way it looks to explore Wills philly life and at least Will Smith is involved in the production side.

Gossip girl on the other hand was dreadful. I did give it a go but it had nothing on the mid 2000’s original. It was a whole moment in popular culture and really benefits from being pre smart phone and pre social media.

Reactions: 9
i hate it when you look up something like how to make candles or how to make a lasagna and you’re met with an autobiography from the author.

“When i was a child growing up in X town, my grandma Jean would make Y for me. She was a kind woman born in 1904 and blah blah blah blah blah”

No one cares- just tell me what to do before I whack it in at 200c like I do with everything else
seconded and also does every cookbook have to start with a ruddy essay and a list of pots and pans.. if you are trying to sample on Kindle this is especially heinous as the sample often ends before you have got to a recipe (mind you that can also happen with samples of fiction books particularly those which open with tons of blurbs from randos..)

• Haha
Reactions: 8
seconded and also does every cookbook have to start with a ruddy essay and a list of pots and pans.. if you are trying to sample on Kindle this is especially heinous as the sample often ends before you have got to a recipe (mind you that can also happen with samples of fiction books particularly those which open with tons of blurbs from randos..)
Omg the pan thing. Drives me mental. Why does the type of pan make such a difference.

”Get your hand crafted, vintage Tuscan, grey speckled, 10cm by 20cm, engraved pan,”

Me with the now rattly handled Teflon pan I nicked off an ex at Uni “Got it”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I got serious about saving when I turned 26 and have been in my minimalist phase for almost 4 years now. I honestly still find it hard to spend money on myself, but I just remember reading this TRUE story of an old librarian who donated $1 million dollars when he died to a university. Instead of providing funded places for students, or something helpful they spent is ALL on just an announcement board for football matches . I just thought it was just a waste. He could have done so much for himself with that.

I have taught my younger sister to leave herself some money every time she gets paid, but as long as the majority is saved and invested it's okay to still buy that £3.74 sandwich.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Since it's on topic - people who moan they're skint or have no money or don't get paid enough, when what they really mean is they put loads away in savings and are minted but don't want to spend it. There are people who ARE skint, you're not one of them!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Roll-top or fancy copper baths in bedrooms or hotel rooms are ridiculous. Who tf wants to watch and listen to someone having a bath, then cleaning it, or even worse, not cleaning it. Hotels just do it to save space. Naff.
Honestly think the same thing plus the floor will get all wet too when you leave. This one is also raised. 🤪

1642026655347.png

Reactions: 3
Since it's on topic - people who moan they're skint or have no money or don't get paid enough, when what they really mean is they put loads away in savings and are minted but don't want to spend it. There are people who ARE skint, you're not one of them!
Maybe we know the same person who does this 🤣 Drives me mad - she earns a really good wage and owns a flat she rents out and has a husband with a good job as well, saves loads every month …..yet turns up late to a cafe date and will drink the dregs from someone else’s pot of tea and eat the cake someone left. I mean, fair play if you have the willpower to save, the motivation to be sensible etc etc, but don’t be a tight arse who won’t even spend a fiver on a cuppa and a slice of cake once in a while! Still I guess it’s how the rich get richer 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 17
What’s the point in earning and having money if you’re not going to spend it?

This one is so bad too, in Tom Kerridge’s The Hand and Flowers. All I see is a massive dog bowl and banging my head on the window while I flash my fan to the carpark.
View attachment 985336
I am not a smart person but wouldn’t a metal bath not scald the living shite out of you seeming metal holds heat very well

• Haha
Reactions: 16

I am not a smart person but wouldn’t a metal bath not scald the living shite out of you seeming metal holds heat very well
I bet nobody’s ever used it, probably go through two packs of wet wipes and leave after the £30 breakfast.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
They are remaking To Catch a Thief with Gal Gadot. Sounds awful.
Ugh. Do we really need another film with Gal Gadot? Like no offence to her but I get so sick of seeing the same actors in new films. I feel the same about Tom Holland, Lily James and Timothee Chamalet

Reactions: 7
I got serious about saving when I turned 26 and have been in my minimalist phase for almost 4 years now. I honestly still find it hard to spend money on myself, but I just remember reading this TRUE story of an old librarian who donated $1 million dollars when he died to a university. Instead of providing funded places for students, or something helpful they spent is ALL on just an announcement board for football matches . I just thought it was just a waste. He could have done so much for himself with that.

I have taught my younger sister to leave herself some money every time she gets paid, but as long as the majority is saved and invested it's okay to still buy that £3.74 sandwich.
I wish I could go through a minimalist phase. I am a spendthrift and have never been able to change 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Do we really need another film with Gal Gadot?
Gal Gadot can not act! When she is speaking in a film it sounds like she is reading the lines for the first time. She also always has the same expression for everything. If she’s angry - blank face, if sad - blank face, if happy - blank face but with a little smirk.

Whoever she banged to get her roles must really like her because she is genuinely the worst actress in mainstream media.

I have a copper bath and it only gets as hot as the water you put in it. I absolutely love it 😍

Roll-top or fancy copper baths in bedrooms or hotel rooms are ridiculous. Who tf wants to watch and listen to someone having a bath, then cleaning it, or even worse, not cleaning it. Hotels just do it to save space. Naff.
I stayed in a boutique hotel a couple of years ago that had a big fancy roll top bath right by the window in my room.

The room wasn't that big so the bath just took up a load of space and the worst thing? It overlooked the car park. Great view :ROFLMAO:

(There was as lovely ensuite bathroom with a fab shower so the bath was completely pointless.)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.