Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many years ago, I've lost whatever iota of inclination to religion I had when I've heard the argument from a bunch of bigots that atheists have no compassion or sense of doing good because they don't fear an almighty god. Is it in itself 'good' to do good out of fear of damnation, or is it really good when you do it for the benefit of those in need and not a personal gain in a hypothetical afterlife? If someone's only reason to be charitable and kind is to secure themselves a nice corner in heaven, I wouldn't feel that safe around them. What happens when the music stops?

I have no beef with people who want to believe in god and a religion as long as they harm no one over their own beliefs, but I grew up around two separate religious cultures, and the level of brewing anger and fear that drives people to extreme obedience was always much higher than of true love and compassion. Jesus they love to praise would be ashamed of all of them.

Reactions: 14
I just enjoy saying that to pretty much anyone older than me haha. The number of times I hear 14 year olds referred to as "millenials" so I figure its all fair game :ROFLMAO:
A lot of people think there are boomers and then millennials. They totally ignore/are ignorant to the generation in between. Even though millennials do everything we did better and pretend it's original! 😀

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Jumping back to the Karen thing, you see it a lot on Facebook when media outlets post a story about a celebrity, and if there are any comments which aren't sucking up to that said celebrity, you have cult followers calling them a "Karen".

To me, they are chucking the word around because of their lack of vocabulary.

Reactions: 7
Jumping back to the Karen thing, you see it a lot on Facebook when media outlets post a story about a celebrity, and if there are any comments which aren't sucking up to that said celebrity, you have cult followers calling them a "Karen".

To me, they are chucking the word around because of their lack of vocabulary.
Th thing is I don't actually give a tit if someone calls me a Karen. I just find it so hypocritical that sexism, ageism and white racism is perfectly acceptable in society nowadays.

Reactions: 17
Th thing is I don't actually give a tit if someone calls me a Karen. I just find it so hypocritical that sexism, ageism and white racism is perfectly acceptable in society nowadays.
Oh absolutely. Hypocritical and just wrong!

Reactions: 5
Many years ago, I've lost whatever iota of inclination to religion I had when I've heard the argument from a bunch of bigots that atheists have no compassion or sense of doing good because they don't fear an almighty god. Is it in itself 'good' to do good out of fear of damnation, or is it really good when you do it for the benefit of those in need and not a personal gain in a hypothetical afterlife? If someone's only reason to be charitable and kind is to secure themselves a nice corner in heaven, I wouldn't feel that safe around them. What happens when the music stops?

I have no beef with people who want to believe in god and a religion as long as they harm no one over their own beliefs, but I grew up around two separate religious cultures, and the level of brewing anger and fear that drives people to extreme obedience was always much higher than of true love and compassion. Jesus they love to praise would be ashamed of all of them.
Yes, I had religious people ask me before how I know how to be a good person if I don't follow what the Bible says. How do I know? I'm just trying no to be an hole, I don't need a book to tell me it's bad to kill people

Reactions: 18
I don’t really get the gushing over ‘original features’ in houses. Some original features look horrible and should be ripped out for something more modern.

Reactions: 10
Another thing that gets on my wick is ‘gammon’. To me that’s kind of racist as it refers to skin colour. A white person who’s face may go pinker when upset etc. To name call anyone based on skin tone is racist but it seems to be ok chucking that all over social media
‘I voted for brexit’ ‘ok gammon. Hate those immigrants do you’
‘Look at all these angry gammons on this post’ And so on

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Personally I think anyone who reads a book about an imaginary man, takes his word as law and gives him money every Sunday no questions asked and can explain suffering in the world as 'gods will' need a good shake.

Don't get me wrong some religious people have a lot.of compassion to help others etc it I think organised religion is used as excuse for control and abuse.

If this man in the sky made the world, is so powerful why can't he fix all the worlds problems?

Also how much of a mug was Joseph! Mary the 'virgin' god got me pregnant. If you where shagging about Mary just say so don't give us son of God and your son can cure the blind 😂
You say that now but when lightning strikes you tomorrow remember this UO you wrote 😇😂

Another thing that gets on my wick is ‘gammon’. To me that’s kind of racist as it refers to skin colour. A white person who’s face may go pinker when upset etc. To name call anyone based on skin tone is racist but it seems to be ok chucking that all over social media
Who do you hang out with? I’ve never heard the word gammon being used

Reactions: 2
I don’t really get the gushing over ‘original features’ in houses. Some original features look horrible and should be ripped out for something more modern.
Just because something is old it doesn’t make it beautiful.

We had hell in our village over a barn conversion where villagers want to keep the barn looking the same. It was a tit, ugly barn when it was built and it’s a tit, ugly barn now that’s half fallen down and has an asbestos roof. A conversion would be miles better.

I know it's irrational but I instantly turn off a celebrity when I find out they've had more than two divorces. Tony Hawk has had four wives? Like what are you doing bro.

• Haha
I know it's irrational but I instantly turn off a celebrity when I find out they've had more than two divorces. Tony Hawk has had four wives? Like what are you doing bro.
I get that. It's like why would you keep doing something you're clearly very bad at! I also get really pissed off when people say so and so can still be a decent person and cheat on their partner. Erm no, a decent person doesn't do that, end of!

Gammon is very clearly a racist slur! White people get compared to pigs by some other cultures. I’ve always thought it was linked to that.

It annoys me when you get 20 something, acne ridden, weak chinned, woke university types who are often WHITE themselves using it.

Just because a person voted for Brexit it does not make them a racist either.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Gammon is widely used in Scotland to describe red faced, angry, right-wing men (the Union flag shorts on holiday type). It’s not racist as such as the people using the term are also white.

Gammon is widely used in Scotland to describe red faced, angry, right-wing men (the Union flag shorts on holiday type). It’s not racist as such as the people using the term are also white.
Why use it at all? Wearing union flag shorts on holiday does not make you racist. Neither does being ‘right wing’. I’m Scottish and the worst bigotry I’ve ever heard is from Scot’s to the English

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Why use it at all? Wearing union flag shorts on holiday does not make you racist. Neither does being ‘right wing’. I’m Scottish and the worst bigotry I’ve ever heard is from Scot’s to the English
I’m not arguing the rights and wrongs of it, just stating it is widely used here. I can’t speak for other places.

I suspect that poster's referring to more than just sartorial decisions on a travelling vacation.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.