Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe there’s a tier system and a friendly version of a Karen is a Linda,

and a walk over wet lettuce type is a sally.

I wonder if people have stopped calling their kids Karen.

Reactions: 6
I think the whole Karen thing is incredibly sexist. They say for a man it’s a Chad but that’s never really taken off. I think it was started by black Twitter or something.

Reactions: 17
I think the whole Karen thing is incredibly sexist. They say for a man it’s a Chad but that’s never really taken off. I think it was started by black Twitter or something.
Yep! Hate that term and its really irks me when I see women refer to other women as Karen’s. Whilst i know where the term originall came from, its now being used anytime a woman (esp of a certain age) voices her opinion on something.

Its just another way to put women down and put them in their place and keep their mouth shut

Reactions: 24
I see nothing wrong with being a “Karen” - by that I mean the complain to the manager type.I would rather be known as one than sit there wallowing in unsatisfactory goods, food or service. I will always speak to the manager when I am unhappy.
I'd just leave. If you've gotta fight to get good service then it's not worth the money, plus they'll probably spit in your food.

I worked in a coffee shop and what would be described as a Karen was a regular. Nothing was ever to her standard and even when you got everything the way she wanted, she would find something else to moan about. She also wanted above and beyond the service we provided. If that's your attitude go somewhere else that provides the level of service you want.

To me a Karen isn't someone complaining about a crap service, it's someone thinking they deserve extra or think they should get more than what the business provides. You want better service go to a more expensive place. Don't go to a high street coffee shop and demand Ritz level service.

Reactions: 14
Yep! Hate that term and its really irks me when I see women refer to other women as Karen’s. Whilst i know where the term originall came from, its now being used anytime a woman (esp of a certain age) voices her opinion on something.

Its just another way to put women down and put them in their place and keep their mouth shut
It's also very racist because it refers to white women only. It's funny how it's ok to be sexist, ageist and racist towards white women. duck them, they have enough privilege already right? 🙄

Reactions: 23
It's also very racist because it refers to white women only. It's funny how it's ok to be sexist, ageist and racist towards white women. duck them, they have enough privilege already right? 🙄
This!
However there aren’t really many POC where I have now been living for many years, infact they’re a rarity and it is still quite widely used in this town - by teens mainly. So although the word may have original racist concoctions I think it has swayed more towards ageist ones or about any woman (again those mainly of a particular age group) who will pipe up about unsatisfactory service or behaviour (and why shouldn’t they? Like I say I would rather be known as a Karen than sit in silence with less than satisfactory service). Particularly here in the UK. When it is used in America it holds a more deeper meaning and is more to do with white and class privileges.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
This!
However there aren’t really many POC where I have now been living for many years, infact they’re a rarity and it is still quite widely used in my town - by teens mainly. So although the word may have original racist concoctions I think it has swayed more towards ageist ones or about any woman (again those mainly of a particular age group) who will pipe up about unsatisfactory service or behaviour. Particularly here in the UK.
It specifically refers to white middle-class, middle-aged women who despite their obvious privilege, are dissatisfied and complain about everything.

Reactions: 6
I was called a karen just this morning after some twit nearly ran my children and I over on the school run. A car had stopped to let us cross but this guy for some reason tried to go round whilst we were crossing. Could have ended very badly but instead of apologising he called me names and made excuses.

Me being annoyed that you were driving like an idiot, put my children in danger and didn’t even have the decency to apologise does not make me a karen for fucks sake, it makes me a normal person reacting in a normal way to something dangerous. ‘Karen’ is so over used and often as a way to get women to shut up. I hate it.

• Angry
Reactions: 26
UO: There is nothing wrong with not wanting to "grow old gracefully" (ugh), dyeing your hair, staying trim, getting Botox or surgery, whatever. Especially now that menopause is becoming a talking point, I keep seeing "why aren't women allowed to age!" You shouldn't be criticised for looking older, but also neither should anyone be criticised for NOT wanting to. I recently saw a woman whining on TV about "girls that think they'll look 40 when they're 20 because they 'smear vitamin A on their faces'" - tretinoin IS PROVEN TO WORK, that's why it is classed as a drug and has to be prescribed! They may not look 20 at 40 but they will look younger than if they didn't do those things

Agree "Karen" is overused and it's especially bad that it's thrown around by white men. Originally, the term was used by African-Americans for a white woman who would do things like complaining to their manager to try to get them fired (just because they were Black), or calling police on a Black person that obviously was not doing anything dangerous/suspicious. That kind of behaviour puts Black people in real danger. It is a huge insult that the biggest fans of the term "Karen" are white men and teenagers who will never experience that

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Is it? Gen X are middle-aged now. Boomers are pensionable age!
I just enjoy saying that to pretty much anyone older than me haha. The number of times I hear 14 year olds referred to as "millenials" so I figure its all fair game :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2
The first instances of Karens I remember were women who wanted to speak to the manager and had a short spiky haircut with a long fringe. There wasn’t originally a link to racism.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
The first instances of Karens I remember were women who wanted to speak to the manager and had a short spiky haircut with a long fringe. There wasn’t originally a link to racism.
Karen did gain traction among black people on Twitter, however like Stacy and Becky the origin is related to predominantly white, blonde women. It's a way of putting us in our place because we are the stereotypical ideal archetype in history!

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Religious people don’t like criticism of religion because they know that the stories on which they base their belief system can’t stand up to even the most basic logical or scientific scrutiny. Shut down all debate rather than defend the indefensible.
Personally I think anyone who reads a book about an imaginary man, takes his word as law and gives him money every Sunday no questions asked and can explain suffering in the world as 'gods will' need a good shake.

Don't get me wrong some religious people have a lot.of compassion to help others etc it I think organised religion is used as excuse for control and abuse.

If this man in the sky made the world, is so powerful why can't he fix all the worlds problems?

Also how much of a mug was Joseph! Mary the 'virgin' god got me pregnant. If you where shagging about Mary just say so don't give us son of God and your son can cure the blind 😂

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.