Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just catching up on the new thread, I missed the penny pinching convo but here is my bit.

I am a penny pincher 😂 but I do not inflict my penny pinching on anyone else, for example I work from home and keep the heating off for the majority of the day unless it's particularly cold but when my boyfriend comes home the heating goes on.

When it comes to splitting the bill, I'll split evenly. If the group wants to split, I'll split but also happy if people want to add up what they got.

I do the shopping in our house, first we test the cheaper brands and if they are OK then we will buy cheap but if my boyfriend wants a particular brand we get the brand.

I also don't cheap out on presents.
I can afford to have the heating on all day if I want but I choose not to, one time I started turning appliances off from the wall/unplugging them to save on the electricity bill but it didn't make much of a difference so I don't bother.

Some poster mentioned about watching the penny's add up in the bank account, that is me 🤣 I just like watching my balance grow. I am saving for a house deposit and we go on holidays every year so I'd rather save for those then spend my money on 4euro coffees.

I cringe when people are tight with money in a ridiculous way. For example, a friend of mine was offered a drink on a night out by a colleague. So the colleague paid for their drinks. The next day the colleague asked my friend for the price of the pint back (it was like 5.40e or something 🤣)
HAVE YOU NO SHAME 😆
I worked with a guy who used to mentally record who he bought drinks for and then "cash them in" in the future.

So we might go out and he would buy someone a drink and then 6 months later he would be like "don't forget I bought you a drink in June 2019 when we went to the pub for Fred's birthday"

It was proper awkward and cringe

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Why do Americans always have to go on about being quarter this and decended from that? Your family moved from Germany to America 100 years ago and your great great grandmother was part Chinese please stop with the ancestry.

Seems odd to me maybe as in UK we don't do this. I'm scottish my great grandparents both sides where Irish, I am not part Irish 😂
This, and don’t even get me started on the “I’m 1/32 Cherokee Indian” and other such nonsense.

No wonder they have a bunch of Elizabeth Warrens and Rachel Dolezals running around claiming to be oppressed “pee-oh-sees”.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I worked with a guy who used to mentally record who he bought drinks for and then "cash them in" in the future.

So we might go out and he would buy someone a drink and then 6 months later he would be like "don't forget I bought you a drink in June 2019 when we went to the pub for Fred's birthday"

It was proper awkward and cringe
He sounds delightful 😂 like jesus christ why buy people drinks in the first place.
I am a secret penny pincher 😂

Reactions: 6
How embarasssinnnngggg. I’d never mentally cash in a round later on 🤣🤣🤣
Tbf I do hate doing rounds anyway… I’d rather pay for my own but I’d never track with a spreadsheet or anything 😂😂

Reactions: 9
i hate it when you look up something like how to make candles or how to make a lasagna and you’re met with an autobiography from the author.

“When i was a child growing up in X town, my grandma Jean would make Y for me. She was a kind woman born in 1904 and blah blah blah blah blah”

No one cares- just tell me what to do before I whack it in at 200c like I do with everything else
Reminds me of LinkedIn

Reality: I passed my driving test, f yes

Linkedin:

"I am so happy to announce I have passed my driving exam and now I'm a fully fledged driver.

Going on my first drive was daunting. I kept thinking "wow its just me", no instructor, just me and the open road and I could go anywhere!

Driving on my own was an europhoric experience. I was so free. No worries or care for that 1hr 15 min drive.

And it made me think, life can be like driving if you just take the drivers seat LIKE ME.

Stop being a passenger to the most freeing road - life"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
LinkedIn is a pile of old wank. I’ve completely lost respect for some friends for the arselicking pish they post on there.

I’d leave if I didn’t have the fantasy that some headhunter on there is going to snap me up for an amazing job in a fabulous country for megabucks 😀

• Haha
Reactions: 20
How embarasssinnnngggg. I’d never mentally cash in a round later on 🤣🤣🤣
Tbf I do hate doing rounds anyway… I’d rather pay for my own but I’d never track with a spreadsheet or anything 😂😂
I know. He is a bit of a weirdo in general tbf.

Once he did it a couple of times people soon learnt to not accept a drink from him unless they were prepared to buy him one back when he felt like cashing it in 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7

Once he did it a couple of times people soon learnt to not accept a drink from him unless they were prepared to buy him one back when he felt like cashing it in 🤣
How cringe, I admire the admin that must have took though !

Reminded me of lady I worked with who would have half lager on her round but a double gin on everyone else's 😄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
When looking up recipes and they have a whole essay about how they love cooking the recipe for their family and how much the recipe is loved.

Then the recipe is all the way at the bottom of the page.

I appreciate the recipes but 🙈

• Heart
  • Haha
I hate sharing food.

If someone drinks from my drinks it then becomes theirs or propels their hands on my plate to try something that I’ve ordered and they haven’t I won’t want it. I got called petty at the weekend because I got upset my friend decided to try a bit of the home made lemonade I ordered at at a pub restaurant. I no longer wanted it after someone put their lips on it.

Order your own if you want to “try” it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My great gran father deserted the army in the First World War and lived a life in scary obscurity. The reason I think Europeans don’t go on about their ancestry is because it’s much longer and there are many things in it not to be proud of. It seems to me that a lot of Americans are oblivious to historical wrong doing
I was going to post is similar.

I think it's because America is still a young country compared to Europe and they are still looking for history and identity.

Reactions: 4
I hate sharing food.

If someone drinks from my drinks it then becomes theirs or propels their hands on my plate to try something that I’ve ordered and they haven’t I won’t want it. I got called petty at the weekend because I got upset my friend decided to try a bit of the home made lemonade I ordered at at a pub restaurant. I no longer wanted it after someone put their lips on it.

Touching my food and drink really bothers me too. Nobody eats my food!! They always take too much or criticise it once they’ve taken it. It upsets me.

I hate sharing food.

You and Smithy would get along

• Haha
Reactions: 8
You and Smithy would get along

I really really relate to this scene!
I can’t bare people picking at or eyeing up my scran. I don’t even like my own kids sipping my drinks either.

I ordered an extra side of crackling to go with my roast that day too, which was presented in a little separate pot, literally everyone at the table proceeded to grab a piece from it without asking, I just see all the hands diving in like vultures! I could of lost my tit!

Last edited:
I really hate when people talk about food while you are eating. I have had disordered eating in the past so perhaps that is why but its a big no no for me. My husband's family for example love to throw out comments like "You'll never finish all that" which automatically makes me anxious about how much I'm eating.

I dread the words 'I'll just have some of yours' or 'shall we share a rice?' ... No. I want a rice all to myself thank you very much :devilish:
My mum does something like, when we order a takeaway at her house, she doesn't order anything but then hangs around while everyone else is eating asking to pick bits up and then complains if everyone finishes and says "You didn't even leave me any!" Drives me mad.

Reactions: 16

Oh he's nothing.. when I told my flatmate about this he said one of his old colleagues way back used to write it all down in a little black book and produce it at pertinent moments..he was in the accounts department but still...

LinkedIn is a pile of old wank. I’ve completely lost respect for some friends for the arselicking pish they post on there.

I’d leave if I didn’t have the fantasy that some headhunter on there is going to snap me up for an amazing job in a fabulous country for megabucks 😀
I only joined because someone told me it was good for getting work.. i cannot think of a single good thing that has come out of it and certainly nothing related to finding me work.... i can't even be bothered to go on it.. all I get is some woman from a local agency moaning all the time.. not v professional . Ironically said agency is really up themselves and won't accept candidates who are perfect for role if they don't live within x distance from their agency (even tho I would be able to get there by tube quicker than a candidate on a local bus)

Reactions: 1
I really hate when people talk about food while you are eating. I have had disordered eating in the past so perhaps that is why but its a big no no for me. My husband's family for example love to throw out comments like "You'll never finish all that" which automatically makes me anxious about how much I'm eating.
I agree with this. I've been treated for an eating disorder and hearing people commenting while someone is eating makes me freeze. It's also the reason why, when sharing a house in the past I would only cook or eat meals when no one was around. (I live with my fiance now and am comfortable eating in front of him but at least he doesn't say anything about it)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I hate sharing food.

R.gif

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
When looking up recipes and they have a whole essay about how they love cooking the recipe for their family and how much the recipe is loved.

Then the recipe is all the way at the bottom of the page.

I appreciate the recipes but 🙈
THIS!!!
Especially when they don't have a jump to recipe button 🤬 I don't care that you love the dish, or it's your grand mother's, just give me the god damn recipe.
Bbcgood food actually has some solid recipes! If it's pretty common and has good reviews (4/5 stars at least) it's usually pretty tasty.
Cottage pie, chilli con carne and their sticky toffee pudding recipes have made it into my recipe book!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.