Unjaded Jade #4 Tragic Magic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
but then why post as if she is giving anyone advice? She says she is not an expert, but posting about what she does kind of implies she is educating someone
Maybe she's just giving her opinion or a general discussion? She's often quite preachy but at the end of the day she can discuss what she wants on her profile. Not saying she should be preachy and educatory but it doesn't come across to me like that

• Sick
Reactions: 4
Maybe she's just giving her opinion or a general discussion? She's often quite preachy but at the end of the day she can discuss what she wants on her profile. Not saying she should be preachy and educatory but it doesn't come across to me like that
hi jade! jade's friend(s) or die-hard jade fan

• Haha
Reactions: 25
your opinion , but I really think it does. She implies she knows a lot about it and is somehow educating other people

Reactions: 9
She literally says straight up offensive things about other cultures time and time again and gets away with it because she's 'woke'.

Reactions: 22
If people pointed out to her that she is uninformed or that she is not really there to educate anyone, she would ignore the criticisms as she is ignoring the whole covid fiasco she has caused.
There's a very thin line between discussion and suggesting or implying that your opinion is superior in some manner, also with YouTube the content creator can't really have a proper discussion anyway unless you engage with comments. At most, you can show the side you like or both sides of the story and leave the comments to discuss amongst themselves, but even then you should be informed on the topic because spreading some information in a biased manner is just a tit thing to do - ie the whole plastic surgery thing.

Her section on language was a good way of 'teaching' because it was a simple historical issue. When you get to opinions about plastic surgery and x and y to be like "I'm educated now!" it's not a way to do it. Especially when it's a specific cultural thing and you're outside that culture

Reactions: 12
It is just a case of people taking it in different ways, she is preachy but I took most of the stuff she said about her learning about the culture and just discussing it. But each to their own in terms of how you take it.

It is just a case of people taking it in different ways, she is preachy but I took most of the stuff she said about her learning about the culture and just discussing it. But each to their own in terms of how you take it.
Right, but when you talk about other people's culture you have to be very careful so your influential fanbase doesn't get any wrong ideas. I have seen plastic surgery to be used as a subtle example of how the West is somehow better than Asia, and that just seems as a very easy way to fall down that hole.

Reactions: 14
also "just discussing" is with friends, when you are talking to people who, you know, listen to your views that becomes quite different

Reactions: 7
I think it would be a way better use of her platform for her to help amplifying voices of those who are actually part of the culture (or marginalized group when we are talking about BLM for example) or at least experts on the topics instead of just giving these super shallow "insights" that are always tinted through her privileged, white, western, capitalist, superior glasses after like two hours of research or a few days of quarantine in a country. Nobody can be an expert on everything and it is interesting to gain insights. But for me she just always takes the wrong position in the discussion up herself: the centre. She could use her network and actually connect with people and share more than just her (naturally) very limited point of view.

Reactions: 15
Right, but when you talk about other people's culture you have to be very careful so your influential fanbase doesn't get any wrong ideas. I have seen plastic surgery to be used as a subtle example of how the West is somehow better than Asia, and that just seems as a very easy way to fall down that hole.
Exactly. Especially bearing in mind how young so many of her viewers are - to a lot of them, Jade might literally by their first source of information about other cultures. I know that when I was 14 wouldn't have necessarily felt inspired to go ahead and do lots of my own research into Korean culture - if I looked up to Jade, I'd probably just be satisfied with whatever information she gives me. It's not Jade's job to educate her viewers about Korea, but it is also, I think, a bit irresponsible to put out such broad general sweeping statements having only done extremely superficial research.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I literally think she's done that-she's gonna put a member's name in one of her next videos I reckon so that it'll get the boost from people searching 'Jungkook' or whatever.

Oh also, she's hearted the comment left by that Korean person expressing their dissatisfaction with her. It's a start.
Bit late but that comment she hearted is mostly saying that she has to be careful about Koreans' perception of foreigners averting the rules, and literally says that if she enjoys any of the non-essential activities available is South Korea she just shouldn't post it online. Can't help but wondering if she's partially owning up her actions or just thanking the commenter for the (unwilling, I assume) advice on how to avoid another storm. Wouldn't be surprised if she went eXpLoRiNg and didn't post it so that we don't see it

Reactions: 13
lol you guys will complain about anything. If she took no interest in the culture you'd be saying she's not bothering to educate herself, yet when she discusses culture you complain about her too when she's said nothing about western culture being better. Lol bye pls get a life x

If they're not educated themselves that's not Jade's responsibility.
from your childish language I can only assume you are one of her 14 year old fans. No offence, but if you want to rave about her, create a rave thread here, this thread it not for you

Reactions: 16
I just watched her new video and can’t say there was something wrong about it despite she hadn’t addressed any comments yet. I don’t want to talk badly about someone’s appearance but that face she pulls on the thumbnail is just very strange to me. Who unironically makes a duck face like this in 2021?

Reactions: 5
I just watched her new video and can’t say there was something wrong about it despite she hadn’t addressed any comments yet. I don’t want to talk badly about someone’s appearance but that face she pulls on the thumbnail is just very strange to me. Who unironically makes a duck face like this in 2021?
In the new video, I think the lipstick is really bad. She's painted over her cupids bow with it so it looks like a child put it on.

Reactions: 5
Basic knowledge is fine. Acting like you have tit to teach when all you have is basic knowledge is not.

Reactions: 19
Shady disclosure on her ad today, it’s right in the bottom corner of her thumbnail and it’s in white, keep scamming people Jade, I’m sure it’s making you feel so much better

Reactions: 20
lol you guys will complain about anything. If she took no interest in the culture you'd be saying she's not bothering to educate herself, yet when she discusses culture you complain about her too when she's said nothing about western culture being better. Lol bye pls get a life x
Did you read any of the answers? There were actually a lot of suggestion on how she could have shown interest without it being problematic.

Reactions: 8
It is noticable though how she tries to be an "expert" on a countrie's issues but really isn't. Same thing with gentrification, racism and anti-semitism in Germany. She might have educated herself on it but her whole "my poc Berlin friends say it's really bad guys" thing, like... yes, but she's not really the authority on that, right? (also I doubt she actually had any local friends but whatever) and saying "gentrification is a huge problem here" then not realizing that it's the same in London (and pretty much every major city). Those things seem super patronizing to me, when she doesn't realize her favourite vegan cafés are literally contributing to gentrification. Now that she's in Korea, that kind of talk will obviously look worse because it's not a European country.

edit: to clarify, I'm not saying she can't speak on a country's or city's problems, but she could have asked some poc Berliners to speak on her channel, she could have discussed how she and Minerva contribute to gentrification, she could have shown her getting educated on anti-semitism instead of just saying "I'm interested to see what it looks like" that kind of stuff comes of really patronizing. Nobody would go to England and be like "I want to see what modern day colonialsm looks like" (not to say that Germany didn't have colonies but you get the idea)

Reactions: 17
In the new video, I think the lipstick is really bad. She's painted over her cupids bow with it so it looks like a child put it on.
I see how this doesn’t look right. I could genuinely see how she secretly planned this thinking of that beauty filter she tried on instagram and giving her speech about fake beauty. So in the end she would get more comments on her make up instead of criticism. But this is just a stupid conspiracy theory so take it with a pinch of salt lol!
By the way when I watched the video there was a comment with 10ish likes asking her to speak about criticism and I think now it‘s gone (probably deleted?).

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.