Unjaded Jade #3 All about casual magic because her real life is tragic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep I agree, imo there's plenty to criticise Jade on but her little chat on growth vs fixed mindset was actually quite good. Very similar to the mandatory training I underwent as a primary school TA to ensure we were using 'growth mindset' language with the kids (and with ourselves!), because Dwek et al. have done good work in showing a link between using language that reflects a growth mindset and higher attainment/self belief in students.

At the very top end of achievement, yes, you will be limited by the sum of (natural aptitude + effort made). But for the vast majority of applications it is useful to emphasise effort made, because most people can get to a good level in any given skill if they make an effort. Like emm says about learning languages.
I agree with all of this. I also think it wasn’t an example of her casual magic nonsense. I get that some people do have limitations as others have mentioned (ADHD etc) but I don’t know if it’s exactly realistic for her to put extensive disclaimers so her “advice” appeals to every single person and their individual circumstance. Is that fair? I’d be interested to know.

What I think the problem is how she says it and her belief that the reason you’re not achieving is because you have a “fixed mindset” because we all know there could be a myriad of reasons.

The idea of fixed vs growth mindset is entirely valid in itself and in the world of work so it is applicable to the wider world.

Reactions: 10
I agree with all of this. I also think it wasn’t an example of her casual magic nonsense. I get that some people do have limitations as others have mentioned (ADHD etc) but I don’t know if it’s exactly realistic for her to put extensive disclaimers so her “advice” appeals to every single person and their individual circumstance. Is that fair? I’d be interested to know.

What I think the problem is how she says it and her belief that the reason you’re not achieving is because you have a “fixed mindset” because we all know there could be a myriad of reasons.

The idea of fixed vs growth mindset is entirely valid in itself and in the world of work so it is applicable to the wider world.
Yeah that's more what I was trying to get at, the definitiveness of only a fixed mindset leading to lack of achievement. Maybe Jade doesn't need a disclaimer, but this video is just one in a long line of videos that suggests that you're the only reason you're not achieving, not that she's incredibly privileged in ways that others aren't and that's why she's able to achieve so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'd also say that the UK Education system doesn't encourage a growth mindset, as it doesn't give you any second chances. But it's the system that allowed her to feel superior with her 3A*s, so why would she speak out against it?

Reactions: 4
I'd also say that the UK Education system doesn't encourage a growth mindset, as it doesn't give you any second chances. But it's the system that allowed her to feel superior with her 3A*s, so why would she speak out against it?
I’m gonna disagree here, maybe some schools are like that but my school was really good at using growth mindset to raise the aspirations of pupils (considering the local area wasn’t great) once again Jade’s just failed to articulate herself well enough and failed to acknowledge her privilege, she comes across as inauthentic! And it’s getting worse the more she’s sucked openly into this MLM bubble

Reactions: 12
I’m gonna disagree here, maybe some schools are like that but my school was really good at using growth mindset to raise the aspirations of pupils (considering the local area wasn’t great) once again Jade’s just failed to articulate herself well enough and failed to acknowledge her privilege, she comes across as inauthentic! And it’s getting worse the more she’s sucked openly into this MLM bubble
yeah I agree, I don't know how other schools were, but surely the whole point of mocks etc is growth?
Basically Grace has gone to a (I assume?) very privigledged private school, to another university and has no real idea of what most people do

Reactions: 1
Sorry if this has been discussed but is she going home for Christmas? I presume yes, but she'll have to self-isolate for 10 days when she arrives back in the UK so no going out for meals, meeting up with extended family, etc over Christmas/New Year. Be interesting to see if she sticks to that since I'm not sure ~Minervans~ have exercised much caution during the pandemic. And if I remember right Minerva's breaks are really short, so she might be going to S Korea and quarantining for 2 weeks pretty much as soon as her UK self-isolation is over.

Reactions: 9
Sorry if this has been discussed but is she going home for Christmas? I presume yes, but she'll have to self-isolate for 10 days when she arrives back in the UK so no going out for meals, meeting up with extended family, etc over Christmas/New Year. Be interesting to see if she sticks to that since I'm not sure ~Minervans~ have exercised much caution during the pandemic. And if I remember right Minerva's breaks are really short, so she might be going to S Korea and quarantining for 2 weeks pretty much as soon as her UK self-isolation is over.
there is no way she will imo. i would also bet on her noy getting a vaccinewhen they are available for her

Reactions: 2
Jade is probably getting out of Germany as soon as possible since the country will go into a hard lockdown this wednesday
as much as she annoys me, I hope for her sake she has a flight booked already as god knows how difficult they will be to get now...

Reactions: 2
If she has to hurry home that’s the second time she’s rushed home because her term is finishing early due to Covid, and it’s been her entire Minerva experience so far.

Yup, totally logical, great choice you’ve made Jade 👌🏼

• Haha
*pays thousands of dollars to go to an online university* *google crashes and you can't do any work*

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
If she has to hurry home that’s the second time she’s rushed home because her term is finishing early due to Covid, and it’s been her entire Minerva experience so far.

Yup, totally logical, great choice you’ve made Jade 👌🏼
OT but your picture is killing me 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
OT but I wonder if Minerva regrets admitting Jade. It's getting so much negative attention because of her.

Hi, new poster here! I saw these threads referenced in the comments of one of her Minerva videos and I've spent the last couple days reading them. I have to say I've always enjoyed her study videos and even her travel-related ones too (nothing like living vicariously through a youtuber) but I do find her ~casual magic~ grating. "Fake deep" I like to call it. Can't stand it. The info provided here on her dad is very insightful into her character and world view, and reading further about Minerva (especially those student-written articles) is honestly disgusting. I was always skeptical about Minerva as an educational institution but yikes... VERY cult-like. I hope they get shut down for the sake of their students' health and careers.

Anyway, I got rejected from Oxford two or three weeks ago after it being my "dream" throughout my GCSE years. I made one jokey instagram story like "haha, I'm too cool for oxford anyway" and moved on with my life. Even if I were some sort of student "influencer" I cannot imagine still pushing this "rejection is redirection" storyline years on.

I think a lot of her insecurities surrounding her rejection definitely stem form an Oxbridge-driven education system; I've attended two top grammar schools and have always been fairly academically gifted and competitive academic environments like such schools are can be very toxic in assigning self-worth to Oxbridge acceptance. Though upon seeing her new founded passion for capitalism(!) and business and how they can save the world I do wonder if her dream was as superficial as mine was at times (simply wanting to go for the reputation or because the buildings were pretty, lol); ultimately I'm not bothered about my Oxford rejection because I applied to a course at Bristol that I'm much more excited about. Someone talked about Ruby's video a year on making her peace with rejection and she definitely dealt with it very maturely as someone who did have a very committed dream for attending - she worked for years towards it. I understand that some people would need more than two weeks like I did to get over but honestly, people like Jade and Jack Edwards still bringing it up constantlyyy even as an example years on is very strange to me. If you're genuinely over something it wouldn't occupy your thoughts and social media posts like that.

Sorry for the long post, just some of my thoughts!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
ultimately I'm not bothered about my Oxford rejection because I applied to a course at Bristol that I'm much more excited about.
OT but good luck at bristol!!! Sounds like you have a great attitude, hope you have the best time 😃

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you!!! Still waiting for them to respond to my application but fingers crossed haha
tbh I think you will have more fun at Bristol (not that that is the whole point of uni, but IMO it is a big part) the people I know who went to Oxbridge, while appreciating the education ofc, did lament having less free time for fun than other unis. Best of luck with your Bristol application!

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.