Unjaded Jade #3 All about casual magic because her real life is tragic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her whole new video is tit lol. Sure, it's good to keep trying and have goals, but it's a very idealised and ableist mindset. I have dyspraxia and ADHD, I'm never going to be good at certain things because my brain won't allow it. Sometimes your ability is fixed.
ADHD gang here too and I agree with you - I've had to cut myself slack and simplify things in my life to make it easier for myself as well as accpeting my limitations with compassion.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Can't agree more with what you guys are saying!! I have diagnosed dyscalculia and teachers/tutors would constantly me that I'd get better grades in math if I "just worked/practised harder". It honestly kind of ruined my academic self-confidence when I didn't show any improvement after spending hours practising and it always felt like I still wasn't doing enough. Sometimes you just aren't good at things and that's okay. I wish this mindset wasn't still being spread by people with a lot of young followers because it can be very harmful

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Fr, I have ADHD too and it really effects my life so it really irks me when certain studytubers promote this idea that you can excel at anything if you just put enough work in, and maybe its true, but its going to be a hell of a struggle for the majority of people. It took me a long time to realise that it is far more productive and way less painful, to figure out what your natural skills are and really work on them instead. Thats how you make a success of yourself, not by trying to be perfect at everything
Yeah - I had to discard a lot of the neurotypical 'just do it' advice because...well, it's not that simple when you have ADHD. Completely agree with you!

Reactions: 11
Yet again Jade showing she has no idea what it's like to live with a disability or some other issue like being poor or a carer or facing trauma. Success isn't all about mindset.

Reactions: 15
i'm honestly just done with this positivity bubble of "you can do anything you can set your mind to". I was sitting on the bus yesterday and I realised how damaging it is that we all went through our GCSE/A Level years watching these study youtubers and comparing ourselves to these unattainable standards. I'm so done with it all, there's no shame in not being productive/happy/getting all A*s/having a healthy mindset. In the real world people can't just go around having this casual magic positivity mindset. Jade's outlook is completely inapplicable to the real world. They talk about how toxic social media is yet fail to acknowledge they were a huge part of this toxicity for so many teenagers. Jade needs to stop making her channel a guide for how to live the perfect life because it's all just bs at this point especially the recent video. Part of maturity is learning to live with hardships, not just sticking the casual magic band aid over every issue in your life. I would like to see more realistic, less scripted content from her, like vlogs or something. I'm not a huge fan of Eve Bennett but she's a hell of a lot more relatable than Jade. Jade needs to get rid of this Jesus complex she has where she thinks it's her job to impart her worldly knowledge on how to live an amazing life to her audience.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Fr, I have ADHD too and it really effects my life so it really irks me when certain studytubers promote this idea that you can excel at anything if you just put enough work in, and maybe its true, but its going to be a hell of a struggle for the majority of people. It took me a long time to realise that it is far more productive and way less painful, to figure out what your natural skills are and really work on them instead. Thats how you make a success of yourself, not by trying to be perfect at everything
Long term lurker here but had to post to say thanks for this comment. I went through my whole degree undiagnosed with my ADHD and spent so many hours stressed about how I wasn’t able to just “switch on” motivation like studytubers etc portray. I got diagnosed just under a year ago and I still struggle with not feeling productive enough in my full-time job. After a bad few weeks mentally with feeling unsuccessful while working during lockdown, your advice about focusing on natural skills has given me a little boost tonight. Thank you <3

Stumbling upon actual helpful advice on a gossip forum is the real ✨✨✨ casual magic ✨✨✨ here

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Long term lurker here but had to post to say thanks for this comment. I went through my whole degree undiagnosed with my ADHD and spent so many hours stressed about how I wasn’t able to just “switch on” motivation like studytubers etc portray. I got diagnosed just under a year ago and I still struggle with not feeling productive enough in my full-time job. After a bad few weeks mentally with feeling unsuccessful while working during lockdown, your advice about focusing on natural skills has given me a little boost tonight. Thank you <3

Stumbling upon actual helpful advice on a gossip forum is the real ✨✨✨ casual magic ✨✨✨ here
I was only diagnosed in my penultimate year of uni and spent so long beating myself up for not being able to 'just do it'. It got to the point where I nearly failed my courses because I couldn't get through a single journal article due to the extreme procrastination and brain fog that so often goes along with undiagnosed ADHD. Not to mention the effects on my personal life and ability to do basic errands. Getting diagnosed and treatment with medication has helped me so much - I still have a lot of bad habits that I have to 'unlearn' but honestly it annoys me how failure and struggling is seen as 'not trying hard enough' by society. I think stuff like 'willpower' and 'discipline' are held up as moral attributes and if you struggle then you're kind of regarded as a failure of a human being, when actually it could be indicative of a neurological deficit.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Didn't Jade say in older videos that there's no such thing as failure and now shes talking about dealing with failure

Edit: found it
Part of life is learning to deal and accept failure. Once you deal with it, move forward, and learn from it, it’s often one of the best things that can happen for you. It’s tough but part of life. Preaching that there’s ‘no failures’ is once again one of Jade’s unrealistic world views.

Reactions: 9
Shes always annoying but shes especially annoying in that video.

And ..... natural ability is absolutely a thing lol? Obviously practise makes you better, but there are many runners who run more the Eulid Kipchoge and still haven't run a sub-2 marathon...

Reactions: 12
Shes always annoying but shes especially annoying in that video.

And ..... natural ability is absolutely a thing lol? Obviously practise makes you better, but there are many runners who run more the Eulid Kipchoge and still haven't run a sub-2 marathon...

her saying “some people are good at languages” like it was a fake thing... like some people genuinely do have an easier time grasping a language, what is she on about

Reactions: 16
I don’t like all this “manifest” rubbish, it’s so ableist. Manifest it and it will happen. Believe it and it will happen. Open your mind and it will happen... :sick:

I wonder if Jade will ever get a job in the real world, because I cannot see future colleagues putting up with such pep talks all the time. I think however she’ll end up working for a Minerva style business where there will be others of the same schools of thought.

Reactions: 29
I don’t like all this “manifest” rubbish, it’s so ableist. Manifest it and it will happen. Believe it and it will happen. Open your mind and it will happen... :sick:

I wonder if Jade will ever get a job in the real world, because I cannot see future colleagues putting up with such pep talks all the time. I think however she’ll end up working for a Minerva style business where there will be others of the same schools of thought.
You mean like Juice Plus ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Hey guys, long time Lurker first time poster!
ive recently watched jade’s first year uni results and my god, this girl thinks Minerva is some sort of special institution!
she says that her course is harder because they get no exams so are evaluated over the course of the year, like this isn’t common in British universities? I have assignments and exams throughout my year and I know every other course in my uni does the same.
sorry for the rant, it’s just really annoyed me that she thinks her precious Minerva is so ✨special✨ When in actual fact it breeds self righteousness

• Haha
Reactions: 22
In Ruby's new video she talks about how it's good to have your camera on but she realises not everyone can have their camera on. This is what Jade should have said, instead of saying that everyone should have their camera on and if not then they're ruining it for other people

• Heart
Reactions: 22
[/QUOTE]
her saying “some people are good at languages” like it was a fake thing... like some people genuinely do have an easier time grasping a language, what is she on about
It's called aptitude Jade, maybe write an essay about it sometime... 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 6
It's called aptitude Jade, maybe write an essay about it sometime... 🤦‍♀️
[/QUOTE]
As I have said I do agree with the aptitude thing, but this "I'm not good at languages" tends to be something said by native English speakers (I am one myself). There are VERY few people who are "naturally" good at languages, most people just have to learn languages to emigrate etc. it is difficult for everyone, but if you can learn one language you really can learn another, it is not like the ability to sprint like Usain Bolt for example

Also notice how Jade isn’t responding to any of the comments on her Q&A video 🥴
I am really surprised she hasn;t taken it down/blocked comments

Reactions: 5
As I have said I do agree with the aptitude thing, but this "I'm not good at languages" tends to be something said by native English speakers (I am one myself). There are VERY few people who are "naturally" good at languages, most people just have to learn languages to emigrate etc. it is difficult for everyone, but if you can learn one language you really can learn another, it is not like the ability to sprint like Usain Bolt for example
Yep I agree, imo there's plenty to criticise Jade on but her little chat on growth vs fixed mindset was actually quite good. Very similar to the mandatory training I underwent as a primary school TA to ensure we were using 'growth mindset' language with the kids (and with ourselves!), because Dwek et al. have done good work in showing a link between using language that reflects a growth mindset and higher attainment/self belief in students.

At the very top end of achievement, yes, you will be limited by the sum of (natural aptitude + effort made). But for the vast majority of applications it is useful to emphasise effort made, because most people can get to a good level in any given skill if they make an effort. Like emm says about learning languages.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yep I agree, imo there's plenty to criticise Jade on but her little chat on growth vs fixed mindset was actually quite good. Very similar to the mandatory training I underwent as a primary school TA to ensure we were using 'growth mindset' language with the kids (and with ourselves!), because Dwek et al. have done good work in showing a link between using language that reflects a growth mindset and higher attainment/self belief in students.

At the very top end of achievement, yes, you will be limited by the sum of (natural aptitude + effort made). But for the vast majority of applications it is useful to emphasise effort made, because most people can get to a good level in any given skill if they make an effort. Like emm says about learning languages.
Thanks for this. We critique her plenty here but I don't mind this video and I think it'll be helpful for her audience. So many of us grow up with unhelpful mindsets of believing that certain skills, e.g. maths, are 'fixed': that you can either do it or you can't. I think if people want to understand the nuance of what Jade's talking about more I recommend people read Dweck's paper "Is Math a Gift" because it was an epiphany for me. After I stopped thinking about maths as an innate ability, and more like a skill which can be improved through investing time and effort, things got a lot easier. And now I teach the odd stats class despite maths being my worst subject in school.

Jade acknowledged we have different aptitudes for certain things in the video. The growth mindset is not about denying natural aptitude is a thing, which I think is a misinterpretation some people are having. What it is trying to say is just that ability is not entirely predetermined; that "innate aptitude" is actually pretty rare, and that you're more likely to make progress if you view your aptitude for a subject as something which can be improved upon rather than thinking that the chemistry of your brain has determined that you're no good at the subject.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.