Unjaded Jade #3 All about casual magic because her real life is tragic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thread name is mine because it had the most likes.

Recap:
Jade continues to study at Minerva and be incredibly smug about it
She puts posts on her Instagram story to be like 'Sad I got rejected from Oxford three years ago but OMG GUYS I AM SO OVER IT DEFINITELY'
She's still trying to find the casual magic in everyday, such as the lighting looking weird or having early morning flailing parties on her balcony

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Thread name is mine because it had the most likes.

Recap:
Jade continues to study at Minerva and be incredibly smug about it
She puts posts on her Instagram story to be like 'Sad I got rejected from Oxford three years ago but OMG GUYS I AM SO OVER IT DEFINITELY'
She's still trying to find the casual magic in everyday, such as the lighting looking weird or having early morning flailing parties on her balcony
can early morning flailing parties form part of the next title? :LOL:
I think also added to the recap: wrote a (very) poorly written essay using wikipedia as a reference

Reactions: 6
just carrying on from the discussion at the end of the last thread, as a Cambridge student I definitely agree with what everyone said- Oxbridge is not for everyone, but it's almost like everyone who is clever is expected to apply. I personally chose to come here because I like working on my own, and here I get one to one teaching which suits me better personally. But my friends at other unis enjoy the fact they have seminars with 20ish people because it means they feel the focus is less on them. If you did really badly at interview, that probably means the uni isn't really for you, because the supervisions (tutorials in Ox) are quite similar to that format.

also, just watching her new video and the part where she talks about how casual magic isnt toxic positivity sounds a lot like what we were saying on the last thread... I think she is reading here

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
just carrying on from the discussion at the end of the last thread, as a Cambridge student I definitely agree with what everyone said- Oxbridge is not for everyone, but it's almost like everyone who is clever is expected to apply. I personally chose to come here because I like working on my own, and here I get one to one teaching which suits me better personally. But my friends at other unis enjoy the fact they have seminars with 20ish people because it means they feel the focus is less on them. If you did really badly at interview, that probably means the uni isn't really for you, because the supervisions (tutorials in Ox) are quite similar to that format.

also, just watching her new video and the part where she talks about how casual magic isnt toxic positivity sounds a lot like what we were saying on the last thread... I think she is reading here
i am actually shocked how (as far as the threads I follow) all influencers seem to read here!

Reactions: 9
She can say that if she wants but it so clearly is. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a positive person and trying to see the best in bad situations and all that, but the fact of the matter is Jade refuses to accept anything negative and is clearly harming her own mindset by doing so.

EDIT-just saw the video and she said her mental health is good because she's been meditating for 20 minutes a day. No Jade, your mental health has been good because it already was. Some of us have mental health issues and on amount of meditation is going to fix that.

Reactions: 37
She can say that if she wants but it so clearly is. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a positive person and trying to see the best in bad situations and all that, but the fact of the matter is Jade refuses to accept anything negative and is clearly harming her own mindset by doing so.

EDIT-just saw the video and she said her mental health is good because she's been meditating for 20 minutes a day. No Jade, your mental health has been good because it already was. Some of us have mental health issues and on amount of meditation is going to fix that.
To be honest, personally I don’t think that’s a fair criticism. Obviously everyone compares it to THEIR mental health, so when somebody with no mental health disorders says that their having a bad mental health day, this doesn’t compare to that of someone with clinical depression. While I do think that Jade very often perpetuates toxic positivity, when she says she’s having good mental health I understand that as compared to her likely generally healthy brain.

Reactions: 14

Exactly, THAT message is toxic positivity. Meditating doesn't cure poverty and illness. If a little bit of meditating makes your mental health good then you didn't have many problems in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I actually liked her latest vlog. I didn't find it cringy or fake. The fact that Jade accepted not everyday needs to be perfect and positive is healthy, and shows growth. Also, she admitted to feeling sad sometimes - which has been a refreshing change.
Let's just hope she continues evolving in the same direction.

Reactions: 5
Exactly, THAT message is toxic positivity. Meditating doesn't cure poverty and illness. If a little bit of meditating makes your mental health good then you didn't have many problems in the first place.
exactly, I find that insulting, it almost implies that if you have mental health issues and can't "cure" them alone it is your fault for not making the effort. Her talking about "mental health" is just jumping on a bandwagon imo

Reactions: 7
exactly, I find that insulting, it almost implies that if you have mental health issues and can't "cure" them alone it is your fault for not making the effort. Her talking about "mental health" is just jumping on a bandwagon imo
Don't you think that's a bit harsh? I mean, it's not like she was prescribing meditation as the global cure for depression, more like sharing what worked for her

Reactions: 11
Don't you think that's a bit harsh? I mean, it's not like she was prescribing meditation as the global cure for depression, more like sharing what worked for her
I think when "positivity" and "self growth" is your brand and how you advertise yourself on social media... you have to be very careful that you're not approaching it from a position of privilege and wealth that isn't available to all your impressionable viewers. You should probably acknowledge that there are going to be viewers wondering what's wrong with them because they can't just meditate their pain away.

That's the difference between being a normal person and being an influencer though. Jade has chosen to become an influencer and to have a brand. She has chosen to market positivity. She's not just sharing her life, she's promoting a lifestyle.

I think when "positivity" and "self growth" is your brand and how you advertise yourself on social media... you have to be very careful that you're not approaching it from a position of privilege and wealth that isn't available to all your impressionable viewers. You should probably acknowledge that there are going to be viewers wondering what's wrong with them because they can't just meditate their pain away.

That's the difference between being a normal person and being an influencer though. Jade has chosen to become an influencer and to have a brand. She has chosen to market positivity. She's not just sharing her life, she's promoting a lifestyle.
Hmmm.. I guess that's a different way of looking at it. I agree that she has a responsibility to be sensitive about these things, especially because of her large social media base. As someone who has been diagnosed with clinical depression, however, I personally didn't find it offensive at all.

You are totally entitled to your own opinion of course! 🙂

Reactions: 6

In all fairness, there is a lot of research showing that meditation helps with attention, emotional wellbeing, and resilience. Many research groups at reputable institutions for neuroscience are currently looking at it as a tool to help people with mental health issues. Especially in today’s climate, a free accessible tool that put the power of someones wellbeing into their own hands is incredibly needed. However, Jade is just a 20 something girl with no credentials so her recommendation should have had a disclaimer if it didn't (I haven’t watched the video).

Reactions: 10
This thread goes so quickly. Hard to believe it's not even been three weeks since "German Germans."

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Tbh I use meditation a lot of the time when I’m not doing too well, it just helps me sort through a lot of stuff in my head. I’m definitely not qualified to tell people what works and I do think Jade probably should’ve added a disclaimer to say it was what worked for her.
It could either be a genuine mistake where she didn’t think of people interpreting it as advice or she’s showing how ignorant she is once again

Reactions: 4
My problem was the fact that she said 'my mental health is good because of meditation'. Had she said 'my mental health is good at the moment, I've been meditating' and presented it as two separate but still somewhat connected ideas, fair enough. It was the fact she directly attributed her good mental health to meditating that I found a problem.

Reactions: 21
She just sounded so odd in that video! She sounded like she was so desperate to prove herself like I felt like she did seem like she needed a cry at some points, and do you know what I would respect that!

Reactions: 5
I definitely think mental health is relative, and what is bad for Jade is good for someone else. It's definitely an improvement that she now acknowledges that she is sometimes sad or anxious. I just think the definition of "mental health" has become so convoluted. It's normal to be sad or anxious sometimes, it's a part of being human. I think we may even need to be sad or anxious sometimes. But I always associated the term "mental health" with diagnosable issues that are actual conditions that affect people's lives and are not normal. I just don't think we should always call a day where you feel sad as a "bad mental health day", because I think people suffering from more serious issues are going to get pushed aside whilst the majority of the population talk about their "mental health issues". I'd like her to acknowledge that meditation/veganism/exercise/casual magic is not enough for some people

• Heart
a lot of what jade preaches is actually new age religion / spirituality / movement. I don't know if anyone else picked that up over the years. But a lot of young people fall into it unknowingly because of how the western world markets it especially influencers. I did yoga and meditation and some new age practices for 3 years and while i thought these practices made my life more positive and successful I stopped after doing my research into its roots.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.