Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bcfc999

Chatty Member
How is she this vain, tone deaf, self-absorbed and ungrateful? Good for you to have life figured out by twenty years old, says something about the level of achievement of these influencers
Can't cope with this. I made a bucket list at 15 with more substance than hers can have had to be 85% complete by age 20 🫠

Reactions: 3

PiefaceG

VIP Member
Jade chooses and picks things to make her whole or a large part of her personality

Totally understandable that people would question queerness being part of that
Yeah. I just don't see the point in criticising this particular point because it's impossible for us to know either way. That's just my take though 🤷

Reactions: 2

justonemorepage

VIP Member
Wait, who broke up with who? Because I got the impression she broke up with him. I do think she's going to go full Megan crabbe and date the whole spectrum of genders next.

ECH

VIP Member
do they do sibling discounts at mond

do they do sibling discounts like they do at some private schools / more likely to get a place in an elite state school ?
also who manages jades student loans? is it student finance england?
wonder what minervas interest rate is on loans?
hmmmmmm reckon its suuuuper hiiiigh.....
She definitely wouldn't have got it through SFE considering her uni is based in America. If she's got loans, they're private ones.

Loubywoobywoo

Chatty Member
Slightly off topic, but has Eve Benett (or anybody who takes languages seriously) ever promoted a language program like Lingoda?
Yes, I thiink she has promoted one ( Babbel?) when she wasn’t able to go to Spain for her year abroad or wanted to keep using her Spanish when she was working in Germany.

I know we’re a little past the discussion on Jade’s lack of political knowledge but I was thinking about how even the gcse English curriculum enables links to political events/discussions and I’m sure some of her teachers would’ve pointed that out. She even took English AS and one of the things I remember being constantly told to include was context in relation to the texts and what else was going on in the world- particularly political issues.
There’s no way an A* student wouldn’t have been aware of this and even if the contextual links weren’t directly related to modern day problems surely that would spark an interest to look into what the modern day connections are. It’s just insane that she blames the education system when from my perspective some of my key memories from secondary school were the links teachers made to what we were learning and the wider world.
Even know, I’m training to be a primary school teacher and whenever possible I try to make links to the wider world and have been able to have conversations about what’s going on in the world with kids nearly 20 years younger than Jade.
in school we always (Austria) had to make a connection to something that is relevant know. and if we had to make something up like the way Faust is making a deal with the devil to get what he wants. We are polluting the environment to get what we want - to the detriment of Faust and us. Or something like that.

crowleyskeeper1

I don't agree - a 3.5 GPA is not equivalent to a 1st, even if you take into account those variables (I've worked in university admissions). Getting 80-100% on exams in the US is not the same as getting 80-100% in the UK university system; it's not so much about one being "harder" than the other, it's simply because they have completely different grading systems. e.g. In the UK a dissertation with a mark of 85% would generally be considered an outstanding piece of work, maybe even top of your class, whereas in the US this same percentage is about a B (so a good piece of work, but by no means the top of the class). Or as another example, a 64% in the US is pretty bad, whereas this is a solid grade in the UK.

The original poster was correct, a 3.5 GPA is considered to be broadly in the 2.1 category. I agree that there's all sorts of variables that make these things difficult to compare so there's no exact conversion, but I've never seen 3.5 GPA considered comparable to a 1st.
We have completely different grading systems and the work and expectations are completely different. Which is why I said it's comparing apples to oranges. It's rare for anyone to get 100% on exams at my university as well, but we have more exams and we often (although not always) have assignments that can usually land you in the 90% range and earn you an A given you got at least a B+ or a B on the rest of your exams. 64 in the US for university isn't just pretty bad. It's a fail. Anything below a 70% is a fail and you cannot go on to the next course if that course was a prereq until you retake that course. 85% in the US is a B but a B is often the highest grade for stem classes and often gets curved to an A on our transcripts but sometimes it doesn't because it's completely at the discretion of the professor and the university. That is why I said it's comparing apples to oranges. A lot of people who "decide" 2:1 is equivalent to a 3.5 gpa have never been through the US education system.

Merpedy

VIP Member
Parents getting a divorce? "roots" made me thing family related.
I remember a long long while ago she mentioned that there was stuff going on with her family in an off hand sort of manner. Think it was concerning her mum specifically

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re divorcing tbh

emm

VIP Member
Her replies.to her brothers balloon thing were hilarious, is she just totally unintelligent? So the plastic came down to earth so that's okay?

• Angry

FolderDuvet

I mean she replies to one comment with:
View attachment 2901233
Which feels a tinyyyy bit silly because even GCSE history and english will have had some discussions about politics. I'm pretty sure if you choose to do GCSE history one of the topics is specifically English history

Her bigger problem may well be mostly that she studied A-level subjects which are generally right/wrong answers and don't include much discussion about society. Anyone who has studied sociology, English, history and other similar subjects will likely have been exposed to those discussions more
Yes, I agree. But then this is why I'm not shocked that someone could come through the UK education system politically illiterate. It's fairly easy to do. a lot of my peers were, and a lot of people in this country are.

English history isn't necessarily on the GCSE history syllabus. I did Medicine, Surgery, The Troubles (so Irish history) and The American West. Our school ran it as two streams, so there was Cold War as one, and American West+Medicine as the other. The other American West + Medicine class didn't even do The Troubles as their coursework module.

I would also be surprised if the Cold War/WWII module also got terribly into British "left Vs right" as much as international "Communism Vs Capitalism" (though I would be surprised if it even got that far, I think it spent a lot of time fannying about over events rather than considering driving ideologies). Remember: Left and Right are very relativistic terms. Neoliberalism is a rightwing idea today, but during the war it would have been anathema. The EU is considered a leftwing allegiance in the UK, but it's a neoliberal trade club that to whom membership was originally opposed by the left.
---
I’m afraid I disagree. Right and left are fixed terms- admittedly within their own context. You can also look at it based on historic differences e.g. privatisation vs nationalisation. Yes there are crossovers, especially when you consider centrist policies but there are clear left and right wing ideas in my view.

Back to Jade, I do think it’s poor that she had no idea what left vs right meant. English and History curriculums are designed to help students explore this and not to mention pshe and politics classes (assuming she had those). She went to one of the best state schools in the country so I’d be shocked if it just never came up.

It’s also possible she forgot or just didn’t care or is exaggerating for engagement. I would love for someone to do some digging and find her referencing left vs right lol.
The problem with saying "left and right are fixed terms" is that it might be true in a global sense (not sure that it is but thats irrelevant), but it certainly isn't in a local sense. If you're talking specifically in the locality of British politics, what is left and what is right shifts quite dramatically over the years. There are many things that red Tories do today that would horrify post war labour politicians, and things regular Tories do that would horrify post war conservative politicians. And honestly? Vice versa.

You could argue this is overton window shifting, but when the average person says leftwing or rightwing, they're not talking in a global fashion, they're describing a local property.

(Global and Local are being used here in the mathematical sense, in that global means true everywhere, and local means true in some defined neighbourhood of the point)

It definitely is poor that she wasn't really aware of what British left Vs right politic was, but as I say in my post: its not surprising and this user is wrong to be surprised that someone came out of the UK system politically illiterate. That's the point of my post, that you have to have your head fairly deep in the sand (and quite frankly you have to be pretty politically illiterate yourself) to not know the majority of this country is politically illiterate.

Also: you think the British curriculum is in any way designed to make students question and interrogate politics? Did you go to a British school?

Last edited:

Hot_Dogs_Or_Toes

Chatty Member
Judge her for not wearing a bra, I dont care. I find visible nipples weird too.

But Its awful the way its talked about the body of a young person.
She may have awful qualities as a person and we are here to judge them. But why talk about the her "tits" in such deragotary way?
As I've mentioned above, personally I think it's ok in this case but it's cool that you've got a different view I understand where you're coming from.