Ukraine Russia War #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh, remember the static charge you could get from bri-nylon underwear? That's why I swear we're hardy folk. I've still got a scar on my arse from when my gran was changing my nappy and dropped her fag on my acrylic crochet blanket.

It's ok though! She batted the fire out with her hand.
That made me LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Seems some people have volunteered to fight
If that's true, they're brave!

Belarus is basically a puppet of Russia, so it's not much different to Russian soldiers defecting to Ukraine.

Reactions: 16
Russian FM: 'Russia will remain in Ukraine until it has accomplished its goals'. Not much bloody point in having peace talks, then.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
Bojo live now from Estonia - clarifying the point about people going to Ukraine to fight

Reactions: 10
I also don't think that many people in the UK realise how long trauma lasts for those who have been invaded. Not having been invaded since 1066 is great for us, but doesn't allow us to experience true empathy towards those who have experienced the gut-wrenching fear of having their homes shelled.
The last time I went to Bosnia I wandered around Sarajevo and counted the number of bullet holes that still pepper buildings, from embassies to hotels. Ancient Soviet-era trams with pockmarks from shells. Pavement roses, where shells had landed and the surrounding area daubed with red. I went to Mostar. The bridge is rebuilt, but there are a number of buildings around the bus station and by the bridge which are still totally destroyed. Where someone had painted a beautiful monument on which it is written 'we are all living under the same sky', people had put bullets into it.
This was only five years ago.
Agreed. I mentioned it a while back, but my partner survived a Serbian tank firing at their house. He’s a 6’4, 20 stone grown man who is absolutely petrified of the sound of fireworks because it reminds him of living through a war as a child. We still have to be careful when visiting because of unexploded land mines, there’s deserted bunkers all over the place and although their house has been rebuilt, there’s still the memory of the blood that flowed there.

With the best will in the world, none of us who were born here in the UK (thankfully) could even possibly begin to comprehend what these people are living through. People think of war, invasions, ethnic cleansing and genocide, they think of World War 2.

Now this was only 20 years ago or so, but the world seems to have forgotten that chapter of the history book. Russia invading Ukraine might be different players, but the situation is exactly the same. Why are we unable to learn from the past?

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Sorry, what does the tweet say?
It's about his standing ovation in the EU parliament, there's a newsreport here too, but for some reason it wouldn't post earlier. He got ovations before and after the speech

Edit: his speech can be viewed here, with English subtitles

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Lets just remember everyone deals with things differently some people will get stressed others wont lets not start turning on each other and being hostile ❤
Yes this! It seems to be the comments that are being said about being worried about ww3 and its frightening ect are getting told to get a grip ect.. it is frightening and it is scary and we are basically near ww3 in my opinion but no one should be shot down by saying how they feel or be scared to say how they feel in here ❤

• Heart
If Putin wanted to do this to be remembered in history, It's Zelensky everyone will talk about. It's him people will admire!

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Agreed. I mentioned it a while back, but my partner survived a Serbian tank firing at their house. He’s a 6’4, 20 stone grown man who is absolutely petrified of the sound of fireworks because it reminds him of living through a war as a child. We still have to be careful when visiting because of unexploded land mines, there’s deserted bunkers all over the place and although their house has been rebuilt, there’s still the memory of the blood that flowed there.

With the best will in the world, none of us who were born here in the UK (thankfully) could even possibly begin to comprehend what these people are living through. People think of war, invasions, ethnic cleansing and genocide, they think of World War 2.

Now this was only 20 years ago or so, but the world seems to have forgotten that chapter of the history book. Russia invading Ukraine might be different players, but the situation is exactly the same. Why are we unable to learn from the past?
I beg to differ that nobody from the UK has experienced anything like this, I’m Irish, I grew up in NI so technically the U.K. I’ve never been officially diagnosed but I’m absolutely certain I have PTSD from growing up with the British army on our streets, I was absolutely petrified of them. They were also on a “peace keeping” mission that resulted in mass murder of civilians. To this day my heart speeds up when I hear a helicopter in the sky, I know I wouldn’t be able to cope if there was military on the streets again, pretty sure I’d just lose my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I beg to differ that nobody from the UK has experienced anything like this, I’m Irish, I grew up in NI so technically the U.K. I’ve never been officially diagnosed but I’m absolutely certain I have PTSD from growing up with the British army on our streets, I was absolutely petrified of them. They were also on a “peace keeping” mission that resulted in mass murder of civilians. To this day my heart speeds up when I hear a helicopter in the sky, I know I wouldn’t be able to cope if there was military on the streets again, pretty sure I’d just lose my mind.
Apologies, I should have clarified England/Wales/Scotland as obviously the people of NI have experienced more than their fair share of war. No offence was meant x

• Heart
Reactions: 20
“Former Labour Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott has mistakenly referred to Croatia instead of Ukraine on BBC Politics Live while discussing the Russian invasion. Ms Abbot began talking about Russian tanks rolling into Croatia before having to be corrected by the host.

Ms Abbott told Politics Live: "The Russian people and Russian politicians might wish in the end to have an associated settlement.

"I mean, one of the things that Putin has got wrong is he seemed to think that his tanks could roll into Croatia."

After being corrected, she continued: "Into Ukraine...and because a lot of the eastern provinces are Russian speaking, he wouldn't find it as hard as he has found it."

ffs 😡

When I saw Liz Truss’s comments the other day I thought to myself I suppose it could be even worse, we could have Dianne Abbot putting her two pence worth in, and was wondering what she would say. Well now we all know 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Can we not send Tom cruise into the Kremlin as per ghost protocol 😂

I’m just trying to cope with humour 🤣

• Haha
I hope the Chinese are talking to Putin, treading the line between not pissing him off and suggesting all this isn't a great idea. Apparently the US have been speaking to the Chinese for the last three months about Ukraine, but they didn't believe he'd do it.
Screenshot_20220301-151534.png

Loved watching this is ❤ he done amazing
He is constantly asking the EU and the NATO to help him, help Ukraine.

The standing ovation is nice, but won't help him defend himself and his country against the Russians.

I think the EU and NATO should intervene - yes, it means those countries will also become a target but leaving the Ukraine to fight for itself feels wrong to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Anyone else feel like big borris j
He is constantly asking the EU and the NATO to help him, help Ukraine.

The standing ovation is nice, but won't help him defend himself and his country against the Russians.

I think the EU and NATO should intervene - yes, it means those countries will also become a target but leaving the Ukraine to fight for itself feels wrong to me.
I agree with this too said it from the start I wish we could. Especially now putin seems to be upping his game and he's not gonna stop till he gets what he wants

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.