Ukraine Russia War #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Russia now saying 'time for US nuclear weapons in Europe to go home'. Bad move, Vlad: you showed your hand too early...

• Wow
Reactions: 16
This whole thing has escalated because people have appeased Vladimir for years and years while he pushes ahead.

If there had of been strong words and pushbacks years ago we might not be in this situation.

Some people want Boris and Liz to say sorry to Putin because they're worried about harsh words against him. 😵💫

While I understand some people get easily worried. This POV is absolutely bonkers.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
People go on about millenials being snowflakes, but honestly the endless trudge of it throughout our lifetimes has probably hardened us up no end. Constant war, recession, global disasters, Jedward, hipster trousers in the early 2000s... those terrifying public warning adverts that mean I'm still afraid of escalators.

Our poshest holiday when we were kids was to Florida during the height of the Gulf War because we got such a cheap deal. Poor mum was terrified because of Lockerbie, but we were all delighted to have got out of camping in Belgium!
Shiiittt! Us too. Spent every holiday in a Eurocamp tent on a campsite in Europe cos it was cheap! Gotta admit I did love it, though I was an adult before I ever left the continent!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
People go on about millenials being snowflakes, but honestly the endless trudge of it throughout our lifetimes has probably hardened us up no end. Constant war, recession, global disasters, Jedward, hipster trousers in the early 2000s... those terrifying public warning adverts that mean I'm still afraid of escalators.

Our poshest holiday when we were kids was to Florida during the height of the Gulf War because we got such a cheap deal. Poor mum was terrified because of Lockerbie, but we were all delighted to have got out of camping in Belgium!
And perms ! We all lived with horrendous perms too 😀

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Did anyone else get pissed off at Nina Hossain apologising when the Ukrainian woman called Putin “a piece of tit” on the lunchtime news? I know it’s standard practice when someone swears on live TV to apologise but I don’t think anyone would complain about her choice of words.

Reactions: 19
This whole thing has escalated because people have appeased Vladimir for years and years while he pushes ahead.

If there had of been strong words and pushbacks years ago we might not be in this situation.

Some people want Boris and Liz to say sorry to Putin because they're worried about harsh words against him. 😵💫

While I understand some people get easily worried. This POV is absolutely bonkers.
I also don't think that many people in the UK realise how long trauma lasts for those who have been invaded. Not having been invaded since 1066 is great for us, but doesn't allow us to experience true empathy towards those who have experienced the gut-wrenching fear of having their homes shelled.
The last time I went to Bosnia I wandered around Sarajevo and counted the number of bullet holes that still pepper buildings, from embassies to hotels. Ancient Soviet-era trams with pockmarks from shells. Pavement roses, where shells had landed and the surrounding area daubed with red. I went to Mostar. The bridge is rebuilt, but there are a number of buildings around the bus station and by the bridge which are still totally destroyed. Where someone had painted a beautiful monument on which it is written 'we are all living under the same sky', people had put bullets into it.
This was only five years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
That may be true when there is a disaster on an island in the Southern Hemisphere. The logistics of shipping things/stuff is really hard in that kind of scenario, but here and now people are literally loading stuff in large transit vans and driving to Poland. Because it goes across the channel then through Europe, we know it won’t be lost to corruption or impossible import taxes during transit. In this case goods really are able to get through directly to refugees and fairly quickly too.
Sorry but that's not true. You end up creating something known as a 'secondary disaster' . It's a thing. Monetary donations are always better

Reactions: 4
My Aunt's wedding, all of us bridesmaids in peach crimpelene, masssive perms, all the backcombed and teased hair set with half a can of knock-off elnett. One stray match and half of Sussex would've gone up like a roman candle

• Haha
Reactions: 16
My Aunt's wedding, all of us bridesmaids in peach crimpelene, masssive perms, all the backcombed and teased hair set with half a can of knock-off elnett. One stray match and half of Sussex would've gone up like a roman candle
Don't forget the satin shoes with heels shaped like lavatories...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’m absolutely sure that he (putin) elected another president at one point with the caveat that after so many years he was allowed to come back himself. Or have I just totally rewritten the history books.
And “jim’ll fix it” on prime time Saturday night tv 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
Crimpelene and bri-nylon nightdresses that would melt in front on the fire and stick to your legs - or was that just me???

• Haha
  • Wow
Oh, remember the static charge you could get from bri-nylon underwear? That's why I swear we're hardy folk. I've still got a scar on my arse from when my gran was changing my nappy and dropped her fag on my acrylic crochet blanket.

It's ok though! She batted the fire out with her hand.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Let me preface this by saying I'm very anti-war and I am also bloody terrified of the possibility of nuclear war currently but I can see, from miles away, that regardless of the sacrifice now, this bully cannot be allowed to do this. It's Ukraine today but who is it tomorrow? Poland? Latvia? Estonia? The UK? Yes I'm extrapolating a long way there BUT if you do not stop this utter maniac he will be after world domination and we all know that won't ever end well. He MUST be stopped.
It will also embolden other authoritarian nations that share his goals. I know that democracy is imperfect, but it is certainly better than the alternative.

Reactions: 11
I also don't think that many people in the UK realise how long trauma lasts for those who have been invaded. Not having been invaded since 1066 is great for us, but doesn't allow us to experience true empathy towards those who have experienced the gut-wrenching fear of having their homes shelled.
The last time I went to Bosnia I wandered around Sarajevo and counted the number of bullet holes that still pepper buildings, from embassies to hotels. Ancient Soviet-era trams with pockmarks from shells. Pavement roses, where shells had landed and the surrounding area daubed with red. I went to Mostar. The bridge is rebuilt, but there are a number of buildings around the bus station and by the bridge which are still totally destroyed. Where someone had painted a beautiful monument on which it is written 'we are all living under the same sky', people had put bullets into it.
no we are very fortunate and this is why I get totally pissed off with people in this country moaning at how tit it is. Last time I checked I can wear what I want, believe in whichever go’s I want or not, marry who I want, wake up every day and take my children to school knowing they’re safe.
I’ve been to Croatia and seen bullet holes in a church there- it was chilling knowing that happened in my life time.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Around 10 or so years ago i holiday'd in Croatia & Montenegro and i recall my surprise at the number of buildings that showed war wounds.

Did anyone else get pissed off at Nina Hossain apologising when the Ukrainian woman called Putin “a piece of tit” on the lunchtime news? I know it’s standard practice when someone swears on live TV to apologise but I don’t think anyone would complain about her choice of words.
Some idiot would probably complain to Ofcom, so I guess they have to say sorry to stay out of trouble with the regulator.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.