Ukraine Russia War #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hmmm not sure what the immediate benefit might be šŸ¤”. There is always the general benefit of being in a block, closer ties, borderless travel (helps refugees?), free tradeā€¦ no obvious security benefits yet. As you say NATO is a separate entityā€¦

Pure speculation, but Putin is demanding at the peace talks that Ukraine is neutral. Maybe Zelensky is getting ahead of that - itā€™s easier for Putin to put a stop to something before it ever happens than if the wheels are already in motion.
Perhaps it just bring them closer into the fold and nato accession would be more likely or quicker . And like you say freedom of movement and access to more non military help.

Reactions: 5
Iā€™m times of trouble you can always rely on Dianne Abbott to make you laugh for all the wrong reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I probably sound like a right old bird now to some of you (Iā€™m not actually anywhere near 50 yet despite my user name) but if you think about how many conflicts weā€™ve actually endured in recent times itā€™s a bit of an eye opener. I was born during the Cold War, grew up terrified of the IRA bombings, saw the first gulf war and Bosnia play out, went to bed on September 11th absolutely sure Iā€™d wake up to wwIII. I appreciate this is slightly different but really weā€™ve never really known peacetime which sad but I think as you get older you do kind of think ā€œhere we go againā€.
Our generation have been though a lot! Im Irish, not even 40 yet and have already lived though a the NI troubles, 9/11, recession, Brexit, pandemic, Linda Martin singing get lucky (lol) and now another war on the cards. If we live though this we will be some hardy 80 year olds who take no tit šŸ˜†

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Of course she did! How does one person manage to get absolutely everything so spectacularly wrong every single time they open their mouth?
Why did Croatia even come into her head?! They've not been mentioned once that ai've heard?! It doesn't even sound like Ukraine either! Honestly, how embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Neighbour's hammering and drilling things in their endless bathroom renovation project; really getting on my wick (I'm withdrawing from the evil duloxetine, with brain zaps, fizzing in the ears and unbearable dizziness and faintness, and can't actually sit up). Feel like being really British and sending them a sharply worded note which states: 'is this really the right time to duck around with your U-bend? There's a war on, for heaven's sake!'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
One of my immediate neighbours is Ukrainian, her husband is polish and I had assumed she was too. He has text us today to tell us she is Ukrainian with all her family still in Ukraine. We have donated to the links he sent us. But i wanted to do something to show support to her? Would taking her some flowers seem inappropriate? Sorry to ask here. I canā€™t imagine how she feels here hopeless to do anything watching her country under attack
Oh no I'm so sorry; she must be sick with worry. I don't think flowers would be inappropriate - sunflowers are the national flowers of Ukraine so if you were able to find some, it might be a lovely gesture of support for her. Other things, depending on how close you are to them, would be making sure they've got enough, invite them over for tea (in a safe way of course) - when my aunt was alive, she used to drop off homemade cakes and casseroles to her neighbours - that was her way of showing love to them

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Why did Croatia even come into her head?! They've not been mentioned once that ai've heard?! It doesn't even sound like Ukraine either! Honestly, how embarrassing.
Perhaps she's planning a holiday? Wants to make people think it'll be a warzone so it'll be cheaper, less competition for the sunloungers.

Could she possibly mention the South of France next. I haven't been for ages, it would be nice to get a cheapo holiday.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
One of my immediate neighbours is Ukrainian, her husband is polish and I had assumed she was too. He has text us today to tell us she is Ukrainian with all her family still in Ukraine. We have donated to the links he sent us. But i wanted to do something to show support to her? Would taking her some flowers seem inappropriate? Sorry to ask here. I canā€™t imagine how she feels here hopeless to do anything watching her country under attack
Personally, I don't think that would be inappropriate. Perhaps daffodils or sunflowers wrapped in blue ribbon? And just listen, and support. Just knowing that someone's listening can be the most comforting thing in the world. xx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
People are going to be worried when they your country has been singled out as the reason he wants nukes on stand by telling people to get a grip wont exactly help
And stressing over what Boris is saying is helping?

Reactions: 6
Our generation have been though a lot! Im Irish, not even 40 yet and have already lived though a the NI troubles, 9/11, recession, Brexit, pandemic, Linda Martin singing get lucky (lol) and now another war on the cards. If we live though this we will be some hardy 80 year olds who take no tit šŸ˜†
I used to be like a shitting dog about stuff like this. We once went to Tenerife on holiday when I was about 10 and didnā€™t sleep all week because I thought MT Teidi was going to erupt! Our family house was on the flight path of pan am 103 according to a paper at the time- didnā€™t sleep for weeks again.

So I know what itā€™s like to worry but Think now Iā€™m older Iā€™m much more calm. Itā€™s scary to think how much weā€™ve seen when you look back!

Reactions: 12

Yel

Maybe the notes prepared for her said Crimea on them?

Thankfully she's not in the shadow cabinet anymore. People were saying "be kind" when she went out for the day wearing two left shoes. While I've great sympathy for people struggling with medical conditions, if you struggle with putting on shoes then a senior job in government isn't suitable.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
That is thoughtful and kind of you and I am sure she will appreciate that - Sunflowers are the national flower if that is helpful šŸŒ»šŸŒ»šŸŒ»

eta seems other posters have already suggested and replied šŸ˜Œ

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I know people mean well but if you want to help, then please donate money and not things. Most of the things collected will go to waste. Something like 75 per cent of things donated in a disaster are not put to use. There are charities on the ground who know what they're doing.
That may be true when there is a disaster on an island in the Southern Hemisphere. The logistics of shipping things/stuff is really hard in that kind of scenario, but here and now people are literally loading stuff in large transit vans and driving to Poland. Because it goes across the channel then through Europe, we know it wonā€™t be lost to corruption or impossible import taxes during transit. In this case goods really are able to get through directly to refugees and fairly quickly too.

• Heart
Anthony Blinken: cited human rights atrocities, Crimea, persecution within and without Russia. If any journalist refers to the 'attack' or 'assault' will be immediately blocked and journos imprisoned for twenty years. Calls again for immediate withdrawal by Putin. Condemns. Urgent debate on crisis, but not immediately.
So bugger all, really.

ETA: cites Belarus as another enemy; ditto China's behaviour towards Uighurs, and Afghanistan. Forgive me if I seem callous in this instance, but is not Ukraine being bombed RIGHT NOW? Has Mauripol not just lost all electricity? Does Blinken intend to go after all human rights abusers, or is it just wiffle-waffle?

Reactions: 11
I used to be like a shitting dog about stuff like this. We once went to Tenerife on holiday when I was about 10 and didnā€™t sleep all week because I thought MT Teidi was going to erupt! Our family house was on the flight path of pan am 103 according to a paper at the time- didnā€™t sleep for weeks again.

So I know what itā€™s like to worry but Think now Iā€™m older Iā€™m much more calm. Itā€™s scary to think how much weā€™ve seen when you look back!
People go on about millenials being snowflakes, but honestly the endless trudge of it throughout our lifetimes has probably hardened us up no end. Constant war, recession, global disasters, Jedward, hipster trousers in the early 2000s... those terrifying public warning adverts that mean I'm still afraid of escalators.

Our poshest holiday when we were kids was to Florida during the height of the Gulf War because we got such a cheap deal. Poor mum was terrified because of Lockerbie, but we were all delighted to have got out of camping in Belgium!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I think flowers would be a lovely gesture, or if you bake maybe some nice baked treats or just something that shows thought. Nothing ever seems enough in situations like this but I'm sure even the smallest of things would make her feel supported.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.