Ukraine Russia War #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh wow I was just posting my ponderings but thank you.

9/11 definitely cast a big shadow, and that along with Diana's death are the two events where I remember where I was when it happened. 9/11 was definitely a moment when the world changed, and I think Covid and now this will be another moment.

That's really interesting and now you say it, I suppose ww2 has been a big thing in my life just because I've heard the stories and seen some photos (my grandad liberated a concentration camp and we have some quite graphic photos), even had my grandads gun from the war at one point.

I suppose you can split it into what you lived through personally, and what cast a shadow and impacted your life in a wider sense.
100% and on a meta level, our outlooks can be shaped by the stories we carry. I agree re Princess Diana and I think that your grandfather has left a very powerful legacy with your family ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So I’m getting really sick of friends and family in the Middle East and South Asia saying “oh people only care about Ukraine because it’s white people what about American imperialism in Afghanistan and Iraq etc”.

there is a fundamental difference they don’t understand- this takes us closer than ever to World War 3. What happens in other countries is incredibly sad, nobody is denying that. But Putin is a mad man who has the potential to plunge the world into war not seen ona scale for 80 years or worse and it annoys me so much that they don’t understand this, or what happened last time there was a mad man on the loose.
i am so glad you said this. I have heard this today and I was so pissed off that someone was trying to make me feel guilty about caring about this horrific situation.Like you said we are close to WW3 and these people only wanted to live freely and it is practically on our doorstep.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Ugh they don't get it do they. Its not politics, this is an illegal invasion thats disturbing world peace and mass murder. This isn't left or right wing opinions.
It’s looking increasingly like Mazepin won’t be able to race in F1 (his dad literally funds the team and has close connections with Putin), so I guess this is Kyvat throwing his toys out the pram that a Russian driver ban is also likely to affect himself too. Completely tone deaf, only all of a sudden has an issue with it because it might affect him. He’s literally sunning himself in Miami currently.

• Angry
Reactions: 19
Poland taking thousands of refugees although a lot of reports of racism coming from certain countries

• Sad
Reactions: 10
It’s not very Christian of me and I never wish death upon someone but the only way Putin will stop is if there’s a coup against him and he’s killed. I can’t see the rest of the world’s leaders getting physically involved even though I personally think they need experienced military personnel there to help the ordinary citizens. Sorry but clapping for Zelenskyy isn’t enough.
I’ve had numerous arguments with my husband about this 😂(he is on the NATO stance). Otherwise Putin will keep being a little psycho with a small man’s complex, invading who the hell he wants…none of us are safe then, he can’t keep threatening us with nuclear terror.
On another note, what if they send our teensy but amazing president Michael D Higgens, the Queen, the pope and stick the Dalai Lama into a little peace convoy and see if that can help the negotiations. 😂😂

Reactions: 22
Do you not remember 'When the wind blows?' I watched this at primary school. There was quite alot on nuclear threats in the early 80s.

If anyone does YouTube this, please be warned that it's a tough watch and I'm not easily triggered...but this remained with me.
Just seen the trailer for this gave me chills not gonna lie

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Do you not remember 'When the wind blows?' I watched this at primary school. There was quite alot on nuclear threats in the early 80s.

If anyone does YouTube this, please be warned that it's a tough watch and I'm not easily triggered...but this remained with me.
We watched When The Wind Blows in my school the week of my 6th birthday, in 1986. I remember it so clearly. I was in primary school in Belfast (where we sometimes had a bomb threat or a shooting nearby)

I am surprised how varied things seem to have been.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I just wish for world peace. Why oh why can’t everyone see how beautiful the world is and that our time here is so short and make the most of it. Why can’t we share our resources, love the world and have joy. We have totally messed up with our whole way of life; the focus on money and status and material possessions. It’s so sad. 😢
I feel that we need to stop Putin. I would hope that if we were in the same situation that others would be there to help us. I feel the same for all the refugee crises all over the world.
100%. Especially now. We are so intelligent as a species we should be able to see the damage we're doing. Yet we can't get over ourselves and just live together and work together to survive. It makes me so angry.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Oh my god yes I remember this in modern studies. I can only say that I’m 34 and grew up with quite a bit of knowledge although gleamed from the news and my parents. My dad worked all over the world including Middle East and Russia so I suppose he was always keen to let us know from a young age what was going on in the world. I vividly remember the Bosnian war and images of the Romanian orphans on the news and talking about it.
My first proper experience with atomic bombs etc was watching terminator 2 on pirate copy when I was maybe 7. With my dad terrifying us when we asked if that could happen and him confirming yes

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Apologies if this has been asked before.. does anyone genuinely believe that Putin is ill/dying? I’m not sure I do. But if it’s what the west thinks, is there a chance he’s playing up to that to stoke more fear etc?
I did think that, but now I'm not sure. I think he's just been genuinely worried about catching Covid. I think he's been paranoid about his health and being assassinated for quite a few years now. This is what I have heard and read anyway. Impossible to know for sure.

Reactions: 13
“Former Labour Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott has mistakenly referred to Croatia instead of Ukraine on BBC Politics Live while discussing the Russian invasion. Ms Abbot began talking about Russian tanks rolling into Croatia before having to be corrected by the host.

Ms Abbott told Politics Live: "The Russian people and Russian politicians might wish in the end to have an associated settlement.

"I mean, one of the things that Putin has got wrong is he seemed to think that his tanks could roll into Croatia."

After being corrected, she continued: "Into Ukraine...and because a lot of the eastern provinces are Russian speaking, he wouldn't find it as hard as he has found it."

ffs 😡
WTF? I’m afraid that Diane’s 30 years late if she really thought of Croatia 🤣. (Yeah, I know it was a mistake, but what a mistake!)

Reactions: 3
Belarus has already aligned itself with Russia; its now allowing Russian military onto its soil to invade Ukraine.
Putin wants Ukraine back under the grip of his dictatorship ; Ukraine want democracy & to align itself with the West , through being next door to the Eu, and by being a part of the NATO protectorate .
As they are not part of NATO, or the Western part of Europe ( the Eu) we cannot fight their battle for them. It would be declaring War on Russia.
Its very annoying and saddening but that is the position.
Of course, we are helping Ukraine in every way, and giving them weapons etc . The whole of NATO is there to assist them in Humanitarian aid, advice, weapons , medical assistance, etc & we can harangue the Air space with NATO planes.

But we can't steam in and attack and bomb the Russians ourselves.

This sort of thing happens the World over, constantly. The middle east ; Africa, etc - and has done for ever..........

Reactions: 22
Belarus has already aligned itself with Russia; its now allowing Russian military onto its soil to invade Ukraine.
Putin wants Ukraine back under the grip of his dictatorship ; Ukraine want democracy & to align itself with the West , through being next door to the Eu, and by being a part of the NATO protectorate .
As they are not part of NATO, or the Western part of Europe ( the Eu) we cannot fight their battle for them. It would be declaring War on Russia.
Its very annoying and saddening but that is the position.
Of course, we are helping Ukraine in every way, and giving them weapons etc . The whole of NATO is there to assist them in Humanitarian aid, advice, weapons , medical assistance, etc & we can harangue the Air space with NATO planes.

But we can't steam in and attack and bomb the Russians ourselves.

This sort of thing happens the World over, constantly. The middle east ; Africa, etc - and has done for ever..........
thank you you get it so many are saying nato needs to go there but thats the worst thing to do

even covering the skies is risky give them the aids to fight but we do not go to fight for them we are not at war with russia

Reactions: 11
Is Zelenskyy tiny or are the other two actual giants? It's like Tyrion Lannister flanked by The Hound and The Mountain 😂

View attachment 1094885
sorry this made me chuckle. Were you not around for the conversation which went something like this.
Poster 1: I will ride him like a Grand National winner.
Poster 2: I'm 5ft 10.
Poster 1: Okay, ride him like a Shetland Pony then.

Apparently he's 5ft 7in

I'm still laughing at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.