Ukraine Russia War #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ohhh dissent is starting in Russia with 3 members of the Communist Party in the Duma have condemned this invasion now and 6000 Russians arrested for protesting. China have called the Ukranians and expressed deep regret (doesn't mean a whole bunch but its pretty big from them). As worried as I am about this whole thing, watching the world slowly wake up to Putin is a bloody good thing to witness.
Please let this be the beginning of the end!!! 🤞🤞🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 15
That may be true when there is a disaster on an island in the Southern Hemisphere. The logistics of shipping things/stuff is really hard in that kind of scenario, but here and now people are literally loading stuff in large transit vans and driving to Poland. Because it goes across the channel then through Europe, we know it won’t be lost to corruption or impossible import taxes during transit. In this case goods really are able to get through directly to refugees and fairly quickly too.
Either GMB or BBC were at a donation centre in London and one of the people there made the point it has to be useful stuff, it's not just a dumping ground for your unwanted stuff. also people had to think sensibly and practically about what they were donating.

Reactions: 19
What’s all this about Putin’s secret love child getting abused on social media. Her mother is a mega rich part owner of a Russian bank who allegedly refuses to confirm or deny that Putin fathered her daughter?

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Apologies if this has been asked before.. does anyone genuinely believe that Putin is ill/dying? I’m not sure I do. But if it’s what the west thinks, is there a chance he’s playing up to that to stoke more fear etc?
There were reports of him being very paranoid about Covid and disappearing a few times without telling his cabinet, and suddenly he went from looking like a hale older dude to looking like a puffy, shuffly old guy. Wouldn't be outwith the realms of possibility that he's had a wakeup call about his own mortality and decided to go full-bore on his "Greater Russia reunified" agenda. Especially since a lot of his appeal, both home and abroad, is his MACHO MAN WHO RIDES A HORSE WITH HIS MANBOOBS OUT image. If he turns out just to be another aging politician, then he's on a shaky peg.

• Haha
Reactions: 18

Yel

Apologies if this has been asked before.. does anyone genuinely believe that Putin is ill/dying? I’m not sure I do. But if it’s what the west thinks, is there a chance he’s playing up to that to stoke more fear etc?
I definitely do. What he's doing now is so out of character. Before he wouldn't go into a war unless he knew almost for certain he would win. This seems like another Afghanistan and we know what happened to the soviet union then.

I know he's the richest man in the world and not the average Russian man, but he's currently just above the life expectancy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's contemplating mortality.

What do they feed these Ukrainians when they are babies?! The bravery from them is astounding.

Quite telling that the Russians didn't just run then straight over and carry on.
I was just reading more about the Melitopol region of Ukraine and it is generally where the ethnic Russians had settled. The very people the troops have been told they have been sent to liberate.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
It's interesting how people think. I'm 40 and I don't feel like I've lived through too much compared to previous generations.

There's been the threat of terrorism (ira, al qaeda), the pandemic and now this. This Russia threat feels like our Cuban Missile Crisis. I guess you could also add the 2008 market crash and then austerity.

Things like wars overseas or 9/11, awful and shocking as they've been, I see as major events that have gone on, but I didn't personally live through it and experience it.

Reactions: 11
Although he has invaded Ukraine, Putin is retaliating with the rest of the Western world using psychological warfare. The Russians are very good at it and have done it for a long time.

Reactions: 15
Although he has invaded Ukraine, Putin is retaliating with the rest of the Western world using psychological warfare. The Russians are very good at it and have done it for a long time.
Agreed. And on the back of covid I feel PsyOps are even more effective when everyone’s already in a state of panic

I had to skip the people rocking up to the Ukrainian embassy "hi we're here to join the Ukrainian army or whatever it's called", it's just a bit cringe 😐.

Most military people wouldn't do it as it's a world apart to what they're used to with support and backup. So much more risky and unlikely to have good outcomes if someone has no experience other than call of duty.

Also lots of viral stories I'm seeing on social media about people going home / to Ukraine to fight and lots of them sound like a "and everyone clapped" tale. But who knows 🤷
BIB I think that's a bit harsh.
Anyone who has a cosy roof over their heads, heating, food, security family, I could go on. To leave that, up sticks and embark on god knows what deserve more than a bloody clap.
It's hardly on par with the Lockdown Thursday 8pm doorstep routine.
Zelenskyy urged his people to come home and take arms, help your country (WTTE) They're simply answering a call, a plea for help.
Granted those non Ukrainian volunteers could be questionable but then people join the FFL all the time so who knows what their true motives are.
Maybe, just maybe they feel the need to STOP Putrid now because if it's Ukraine today then who's next, perhaps their own country!

As I've said previously several local people have left their very comfortable life to do precisely that. I'm not sure I'd want to do the same.

One another note I was in the supermarket today buying dried foods to donate and the cashier asked if they were for Ukrainian donations. How much did I buy 🙈.
I replied that they were and she said we too should consider preparing.
Their family member who works as a naval comms officer has advised her to 'be prepared'! I said the Ukrainians are more desperate and will need it before us and thanked her for the heads up.

• Heart
It's interesting how people think. I'm 40 and I don't feel like I've lived through too much compared to previous generations.

There's been the threat of terrorism (ira, al qaeda), the pandemic and now this. This Russia threat feels like our Cuban Missile Crisis. I guess you could also add the 2008 market crash and then austerity.

Things like wars overseas or 9/11, awful and shocking as they've been, I see as major events that have gone on, but I didn't personally live through it and experience it.
I'm 32 and I feel the same maybe I've just made myself not be oblivious to it all in the past as I didn't pay attention to it but I've learned a whole lot these last few weeks with everything in regards to Russia, sanctions, Ukraine and history.

Reactions: 8

Do you not remember 'When the wind blows?' I watched this at primary school. There was quite alot on nuclear threats in the early 80s.

If anyone does YouTube this, please be warned that it's a tough watch and I'm not easily triggered...but this remained with me.

Last edited:
I wondered if he had some sort of illness a few years back. I was reading about his ex wife earlier and she basically said that all he did was work and they suddenly never saw him- like something triggered in him.
Sorry wasn't aiming at you.

I'm not a huge fan of Musk. The number of likes he gets over fake news like pretending to provide internet for Ukraine does annoy me a tad. Especially as he won't even say how many terminals are in Ukraine or how many are being sent out. Shady!

I've also got an issue with him introducing charging infrastructure that's just for his own devices, but that's for another thread.
Oh no please don’t worry I didn’t feel targeted and I appreciate being given the full picture! Feel a bit of a Wally because im Constantly drilling into my kids “tell me the source of this information and then I’ll tell you if I believe it” 🤣 will practice what I preach!

It's opened my eyes to so many different life experiences and how intertwined we actually are as a group of species. Your point about not personally living through or experiencing events like 9/11 gave me food for thought - it made me think back on the events my relatives have directly survived (the Soviet Union invasion and when the Shah of Iran fell in 1979 for example). Even though I and many of my cousins didn't directly experience it (we weren't even concepts back then lol) we did experience it in a second-hand way through the trauma, substance abuse, the stories and snippets of family history/heritage that the older ladies in my family share with us over a cup of tea. There's still so much hidden away in an attempt to try and keep us safe, when we are safe in the West. I wasn't in NYC or the USA when 9/11 happened, but its shadow has never quite left my life in terms of experiencing Islamophobia, the collapse of Afg and the fallout from that - it's changed how way I move through the world (as it has for many people directly and indirectly affected by it). Your comment has really made me stop, reflect on and appreciate a lot of things - I wanted to thank you for that

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Yel

Anyone who has a cosy roof over their heads, heating, food, security family, I could go on. To leave that, up sticks and embark on god knows what deserve more than a bloody clap.
It's hardly on par with the Lockdown Thursday 8pm doorstep routine.
I think you've missed the whole point.

Which was lots of these stories are so fanciful I question if they're genuine. Maybe some started off as real and then others have gone in on the creative writing and taken it a bit too far because they want a viral post? Those live TT videos where someone plays an raid horn constantly are clearly fake but gets people so much attention.

Then everyone clapped is a meme reference - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/and-then-the-whole-bus-clapped

Reactions: 7
It's opened my eyes to so many different life experiences and how intertwined we actually are as a group of species. Your point about not personally living through or experiencing events like 9/11 gave me food for thought - it made me think back on the events my relatives have directly survived (the Soviet Union invasion and when the Shah of Iran fell in 1979 for example). Even though I and many of my cousins didn't directly experience it (we weren't even concepts back then lol) we did experience it in a second-hand way through the trauma, substance abuse, the stories and snippets of family history/heritage that the older ladies in my family share with us over a cup of tea. There's still so much hidden away in an attempt to try and keep us safe, when we are safe in the West. I wasn't in NYC or the USA when 9/11 happened, but its shadow has never quite left my life in terms of experiencing Islamophobia, the collapse of Afg and the fallout from that - it's changed how way I move through the world (as it has for many people directly and indirectly affected by it). Your comment has really made me stop, reflect on and appreciate a lot of things - I wanted to thank you for that
Oh wow I was just posting my ponderings but thank you.

9/11 definitely cast a big shadow, and that along with Diana's death are the two events where I remember where I was when it happened. 9/11 was definitely a moment when the world changed, and I think Covid and now this will be another moment.

That's really interesting and now you say it, I suppose ww2 has been a big thing in my life just because I've heard the stories and seen some photos (my grandad liberated a concentration camp and we have some quite graphic photos), even had my grandads gun from the war at one point.

I suppose you can split it into what you lived through personally, and what cast a shadow and impacted your life in a wider sense.

• Heart

This is so far wide of the mark. Someone’s even already added it to his wiki page… 😶 I really don’t want to hear a millionaire-level athlete crying about “unfairness” against Russian athletes when many Ukrainian people are fighting for their home and families.

Attachments

• Sad
  • Angry

This is so far wide of the mark. Someone’s even already added it to his wiki page… 😶 I really don’t want to hear a millionaire-level athlete crying about “unfairness” against Russian athletes when many Ukrainian people are fighting for their home and families.
Ugh they don't get it do they. Its not politics, this is an illegal invasion thats disturbing world peace and mass murder. This isn't left or right wing opinions.

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.