Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

RobinsHood

@Moth Being anti immigration doesn’t mean you are a racist.

I used to vote Labour back when I was a student 20 years ago, but since 2010 have voted Tory. I’m from a working class background, and grew up in a council house.
Once I was paying taxes, I decided I did want to keep as much of my money as possible and didn’t agree with the way the welfare state was operating in that there was no incentive for people to get off benefits and work.

I also don’t think it’s racist to say that there is an issue with Islamic extremism
In this country, in some areas.

I just wanted to explain where I’m coming from a little bit, as I’m fed up of the left accusing anyone on the right of being a racist…it feels like when you say you’re on the right that you might as well say you support Hitler!

Reactions: 11

Moley1

Chatty Member
I suspect that what a sizeable chunk of the electorate 'want' is unrealistic and unachievable. So either politicians don't offer it or they offer the impossible, fail to deliver and the people that voted for them become disillusioned. Ultimately the problem is the people not the politicians.

As for the FPTP system, one could argue that the Tories are being influenced by the threat of losing voters to a 'grassroots' party i.e Reform. They are 'adapting' by becoming increasingly right-wing. Is that a good thing?
That is the problem. We want better public services and an updated infrastructure but you can’t do that without increasing public spending. The Tories are stuck on wanting to provide more tax cuts and Labour haven’t got the money to change things without increasing taxes (unless there is a miracle change to the economy).
I am intrigued to see what is in all of the manifestos but any honest party has got to say that we are in for a period of rebuilding that will be tough for the country. If we truly all in it together we should all pay our way, that includes the people who have made piles of cash out of the last 24 years of austerity!

SarcasticEllis

VIP Member
Just on practical details, How does an election in 6 weeks work? Dont they need to get enough staff to man the polling stations etc? Will they be able to book the usual polling stations?
They just make it so - local authorities just clear the decks and enable loads of their staff to be diverted to polling stations etc. fuck everything else that need time, money or people.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
When politicians say "I will not be resigning" does it actually mean "I will be resigning within the next 72 hours" then?

• Haha

lilyannrose

VIP Member
Had the conservatives floated this idea before? Feels like it’s come out of left field.
It feels like utter desperation to appeal to the oldest, most hardcore Tory voters who are probably the type to cry about the Tories being "woke" now, and also like Rishi really doesn't want to do it anymore so he can fuck off and enjoy his money in peace. It's nuts.

bluefoot

Seeing as we can’t actually prosecute actual crimes these days as we don’t have adequate police, courts or prison resources of course they can’t enforce national service

thegirlscout

VIP Member
You cannot convince me that diplomacy or flat-out cold-hard currency cannot convince Putin to just stop his bullshit.
Putin is one of the richest men in the world, his is a billionaire multiple times over. The majority of his wealth is hidden. He doesn’t want diplomacy or money - he wants power. He wants to go down in the Russian history books as a god like creature. You can’t work with people who have that mentality.

• Heart

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Yes, because I’d be losing even more money if I voted Labour - wait until Starmer gets in and there’s an increase in all the stealth taxes that he’s not telling you about in the manifesto.

We certainly need a better and more efficient working NHS, including social care, but I don’t agree with paying for everyone’s children’s breakfasts.
Those that do have the money, should most certainly pay for private healthcare too, and reduce the burden on the NHS.

I’m anti illegal immigration, sorry that was not clear.

And don’t read too much into my user name, it’s only because I’m from Nottingham 🤣
Hard disagree. Private healthcare in this country is nowhere near good enough for it to be a viable option for anything other than basic orthopaedics and musculoskeletal conditions. I've personally seen and treated far too many people who've gone private for an obscure cancer treatment because they've been told that it's highly likely to save their life (oh by the way it'll cost you 80k) and then it doesn't and they end up in an NHS bed far worse off than if they hadn't had the treatment (which wasn't recommended by the NHS because it doesn't work).

Private mental health in this country is fucking disgusting in many places, nursing homes (all private, even the NHS funded ones have some elements of privatisation) are not fit for purpose. The answer isn't to strengthen the private sector and create a barrier to entry for healthcare like America has but to responsibly fund the NHS and grant free access for those who need it.

• Heart

Moley1

Chatty Member
But anyone right of centre is called Far Right and I don't agree with that. Although today names as criticism just do not mean anything anymore as they're all so commonly bandied about...racist, far right, radical whatever etc, used to shut down any sort of debate. Just my opinion.
The reason so many people are being called far right is because the Tory Party don’t seem to have a moderate MPs any more. They are either batshit crazy swivel eyed loons, busy feathering their own nest or smearing Labour MPs. Sadly the decent Tories like Rory Stewart have either been hounded out, sidelined or left the party because they hate what it has become. There are plenty of political commentators who will tell you that this is the most right the Tories have been for years.
---
Meh, just the latest in a line of things that Sunak has given a speech about and then done nothing further to actually do what he said in the speech.
They needed something new after the small boats deflection tactic so now they are going after the sick. May was right when she said they were turning into the nasty party. Perhaps Sunak should do something about the appalling state of the NHS rather than blame the people who can’t even get a doctors appointment.

Reactions: 10

Happy Lady

VIP Member
First job for Keir - all these bright and wonderful things you want to do - HOW? Then tell us where the money's coming from, how you'll pay it back and when.

• Haha

HelloStereo

VIP Member
@Moth Being anti immigration doesn’t mean you are a racist.

I used to vote Labour back when I was a student 20 years ago, but since 2010 have voted Tory. I’m from a working class background, and grew up in a council house.
Once I was paying taxes, I decided I did want to keep as much of my money as possible and didn’t agree with the way the welfare state was operating in that there was no incentive for people to get off benefits and work.

I also don’t think it’s racist to say that there is an issue with Islamic extremism
In this country, in some areas.

I just wanted to explain where I’m coming from a little bit, as I’m fed up of the left accusing anyone on the right of being a racist…it feels like when you say you’re on the right that you might as well say you support Hitler!
Are you going to continue voting Tory even though the tax burden is at its highest in 70 years and you want to keep as much of your money as possible?

• Haha

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
What proven track record does Nigel Farage have? Genuinely interested. He’s not been in government but has been around a long time? Is that it?
His only track record is not being elected as an MP seven times. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, this is UKIP all over again. Farage is the party. Can anyone name another Reform candidate? Maybe put another Reform candidate in the debates, not just Nigel and then see how they fair.

• Haha

JaynieDay

VIP Member
*Suella Braverman enters chat*
I hate Cruella Braverman’s vile beliefs and dreams!! Who the hell has a dream of sending vulnerable people on a plane to Rwanda?! It’s absolutely gross.

We need a general election, the only issue with that is that we are likely to lumped with Spineless Starmer. What’s the point of a diet Tories disguised as Labour candidates? I swear the only reason the main players of the Labour Party identify as Labour is because they can’t bear the shame of calling themselves Tories. I despair of this country, I truly do. We need a change in political thinking and practices. I’m a progressive, I’m politically adrift in our current political system.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
He is probably thinking that his new life in California can’t come quick enough 😅

Give it a couple of days and he’ll stand down altogether and jet off for the blue skies and sunshine.
Is there even much point him fighting the general election? It seems like a lot of work and it's not as though he needs the money.

Could just cut his losses and jet off now.