Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
Dare I say it doesn’t sound completely horrible from that point of view but the fact that this may be their only idea to fix understaffing is concerning
If they take away the military part and the compulsory part, its not the worst thing.

But then it's just like any other scheme for school leavers and young people.

They still need to address the fact that there are people willing to do these jobs but they end up leaving because conditions are poor.

Reactions: 14

CrystalWench

Chatty Member
Seeing the news this morning has made me, possibly like every parent of an under 18 say absolutely no way will i vote for that.
The damage this government is doing to our kids already via school pressures and targets (that’s a whole other thread) , and the government want them for another year when they reach the “freedom” of adulthood, absolutely not and over my dead body.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
There are problems in religious schools in this country, especially Islamic ones. I think adding more religious practice to a school setting is detrimental.
There have been problems with some very strict Islamic and Jewish schools in the past especially when it came to the female students so some precautions need to be taken but on the whole I don't have an issue with religious schools. There's been separate Catholic and CoE schools for years.

My daughter went to a CoE school but there were kids of every denomination there. The school were quite accommodating in terms of if a child took a religious holiday off or had to fast ( allowing them not to do PE ) and all religions were taught in religious studies. However those same kids were also happy to take part in the Nativity play and their parents sat in the audience watching. There seems to be so much anger about and yet the vast majority are quite happy to rub along and enjoy each others cultures and traditions. It's a shame our media and politics don't represent that more.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Ok so so this is really really stupid question time I’m sorry, but why would the conservatives voluntarily choose a general election when they know full well they’ll lose? Why not just wait til the planned one? I guess I’m missing something.
With the polls being what they are, there isn't a good time to call an election. They are going to get their arses handed to them whenever it is. Even if they went to the wire I genuinely don't think they can turn it around significantly enough in 6 months for it make a difference to the outcome.

I agree that Rishi has called it so he isn't ousted. He'll be living in California with his billions mid July. ;)

Reactions: 13

HelloStereo

VIP Member
I usually don't care because he does it when some minister is talking bollocks about something but on this occasion it's just not appropriate. However, I have no idea why Rishi thought it was a good idea to do it outside in the pouring rain.
I thought it was very appropriate, the past 14 years have been miserable 😂

thegirlscout

VIP Member
The country is in desperate need of change. We haven’t had a Labour government for 14 years and the previous one made a better job of running the country than the Tory Party have done since then.
I don’t like the Tory party or what they’ve done but the previous Labour government sent us into a war under questionable circumstances which destabilised the Middle East and our own security.

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
He's calling an election to avoid being ousted by his own party I think
Yes - letters were flying in to Sir Graham Brady apparently.
I also think he’s had a job offer, and a July election gives him and the family plenty of time to fuck off to America before the new school year starts.

• Wow

bignellie

VIP Member
So inflation going down this month merits an election as we will all buy in to the good news
So the food items that have increased by almost 75% in some cases over the past 18 months will also be coming down to previous levels? How thick do they think the public are, they fucked the economy and it will be a long way back

Moth

VIP Member
I wish whoever gets in gets rid of inheritance tax.
I know you're very keen on understanding how things will be paid for so how would you raise the £7 billion a year that it would cost to scrap inheritance tax? Personally I think there are other things that would come before a policy that would deliver half the benefit to the richest 1% of the country.

• Heart

Milliemoo99

VIP Member
It is extremely hard to know who on earth to vote for! We are in a safe Tory seat, but I hate the way the Tories have run the country for the past decade, and I have no idea at all who the other candidates in our area are!

We have a war in Gaza, a war in The Ukraine, Climate change, and weird weather, so much rain, our farmers wont have been able to grow anything all year, The NHS on its knees, Schools on their knees, with children being refused permission to go to the toilet, or allowed to take blazers off in class,
Its more expensive to rent than to get a mortgage, and poverty is growing daily

There is just so much that needs fixing, where on earth do we start?

Reactions: 12
First job for Keir - all these bright and wonderful things you want to do - HOW? Then tell us where the money's coming from, how you'll pay it back and when.
Last time round the Tory attack line was 'silly old Corbyn all these policies are far too expensive' then they ended up spending more than his policies were costed at propping up the shit show that is the energy companies etc :ROFLMAO:

• Heart

BaxterBillions

VIP Member
What do people make of Sunak saying the world is on the precipice of something big / nuclear escalation? I think he’s right but don’t respect him using it as a tactic to scare people into voting Tory. If things are going to get bad then people will need support from a strong government not one that relies on cutting taxes and public services
I think it's a load of bollocks and even if we were on the brink of WW3 the last person I would look to for leadership is that short-arsed prick. He can't even lead his own party, who have the mental acumen of a bunch of toddlers.

• Haha
  • Heart

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Could Reform and Labour end up as the UK’s main parties going forward?
Reform just appear to be the new UKIP, will they even win a seat in the General Election?
Looks like Reform will just dilute the Tory vote, maybe they'll cause an upset in 1 or 2 strong Tory constituencies.

Metropolis

VIP Member
Keir making a speech about how Labour has returned to the service of working people. I don’t see that they’ve prioritised that to be honest.