Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
He is probably thinking that his new life in California can’t come quick enough 😅

Give it a couple of days and he’ll stand down altogether and jet off for the blue skies and sunshine.
Is there even much point him fighting the general election? It seems like a lot of work and it's not as though he needs the money.

Could just cut his losses and jet off now.

Reactions: 10

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
The Tories are a bunch of crooks. Labour are a Protest Party who couldn't run a bath. The end. 😬

veronica71

VIP Member
I’m really pissed off that Farage has ruined my enjoyment of this election and I can’t be happy at the collapse of the Tory party because he’s going to sweep in and merge with it and something worse will come out of it.

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
I had a feeling this has something to do with it. They've been banging on about inflation and the second it's gone down to a reasonable level an election has been called.

Just shows how shit things have been, he couldn't even hold out for another month.

They're like we've done one thing right, let's go!
Absolutely bloody typical of those charlatans that they’re claiming that inflation going down is all because of them and that their marvellous plan is working (🙄) when they took no responsibility whatsoever when it was going through the roof.

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
Gutted that Gove has bottled it and is jumping before being pushed. I was so looking forward to seeing him humiliated on election night. Not really surprising on seeing so many rats leaving the sinking ship but there are still a few more of these despicable MPs who could get their comeuppance so still worth staying up for the night.
Yeah, Gove really is a piece of work. He would have gone far in the ranks of the Gestapo. Not hard to imagine him running his own sub-camp. Gove would have been one of the particularly unpleasant types who weren't in it for the money, just for the pleasure of abusing people. Nasty little bastard. Good riddance. No doubt he'll pop-up again, I imagine he's got a lot of directorships and consultancy-work that pays very well. Cunt.

• Haha
  • Heart

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
Personally I'm not against the idea of compulsory national service, but Sunak is putting it up the flagpole for opportunistic reasons.
Getting young people to do voluntary work isn't an unreasonable idea. Naming it 'compulsory national service' is stupid. Also, as with most things in this country, whatever it's called it'll be unworkable for a variety of cultural, bureaucratic, and monetary reasons. :rolleyes:

I always thought The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme was good, at least there seemed to always be positive stories about it in the press. Of course, it might just have been pro-Royal propaganda, it's hard to say. If some sort of national scheme based on that model was set up it would be good. Or, heaven forbid, a nationwide push for 'Youth Clubs' (for want of a better word).

Blueblue123

VIP Member
The most reasonable argument I've heard for inheritance tax is to raise the threshold because it is hitting many "average" families who are doing okay but not wealthy.

Take property for one, a home bought for less than £200k 20 odd years ago would be subject to the tax, all because the value has gone up. And the value has gone up in part because not enough homes are being built and other policies... something that's more the fault of the government than the homeowner.

But... I think there are more bigger injustices than inheritance tax.

• Heart

BaxterBillions

VIP Member
They're just your typical online-dwelling loons vastly overestimating their own intelligence and importance as usual. As if Starmer, or anybody higher up in the party than the person who orders the teabags would pay attention to them.

• Heart

Milliemoo99

VIP Member
British values are taught in schools and meant to be implicit in British society!!! They also are meant to apply to all of society not just to school children!!

What are these five British values?
So, what are the fundamental British values? They are:

• democracy
  • the rule of law
  • individual liberty
  • mutual respect
  • tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
There are many ways in which schools can support and promote British values. Here are some examples relating to each British value.

Democracy
Pupils, parents, and staff should have the right to have their voices heard. This can be achieved through a pupil-elected school council, in which class representatives raise issues and suggest ideas for improvement. Parents and guardians should also be given the opportunity to express any concerns or queries through parent societies and parents' evenings. (This also I assume is meant to encourage all adults to exercise their right to vote in local council and general elections!)

The rule of law

The importance of law and rules should be referred to and reinforced to teach students (And all adults, ) to distinguish between right and wrong. The rule of law in British values teaches children to take responsibility for their own actions. Students should be taught the reasons behind rules and laws, how they govern and protect us, and the consequences of what happens when these laws are broken. Invite guest speakers to the school and allow children to get involved in workshops to reinforce this teaching.
(I was teaching adult learners, and also tried to explain that laws also include things like paying taxes properly and not just working on a black cash in hand economy!)

Individual liberty

Promote freedom of choice and the right to respectfully express views and beliefs in a safe environment. Teach children to take responsibility for their behaviour. Children should be supported to understand that they have rights and personal freedoms and should be advised on how to exercise these safely. Pupils should be supported to become as independent as possible. This can be demonstrated in various ways, for example, through PSHE lessons and assemblies.

Mutual respect and tolerance of those of different faiths or beliefs
Students should be taught how to respect those from different backgrounds. For example, giving pupils regular opportunities to learn about different cultures and beliefs will reinforce messages of respect and tolerance in British values. This will also allow them to understand that others may have religions and beliefs that differ from their own and to respect these differing viewpoints.
---
British values is on the surface, easy and simple to agree to, but if you really think about it, it can be extremely complicated!

I can be fairly easy going and perfectly happy to agree with the idea of mutual respect and tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs, but then think of our local jehovahs witnesses, no issues for me on the surface, but then when they try and persuade my teenaged daughter about why blood transfusions are immoral and wrong, my head starts to spin!

Last edited:

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
So inflation going down this month merits an election as we will all buy in to the good news
So the food items that have increased by almost 75% in some cases over the past 18 months will also be coming down to previous levels? How thick do they think the public are, they fucked the economy and it will be a long way back
Well bearing in mind that somehow there are still 22% of voters who have looked at the omnishambles of the last 14 years and still intend to vote Conservative I’d say that plenty of them are extremely thick.

Clive Myrie apparently.
Oh he’s worth staying up for!

Ennui

VIP Member
Whether you like Farage and Braverman or not this stunt was just purely censorship and I think it's ridiculous to call it a "Far Right" conference. Everyone who isn't left is called far right nowadays.
Everyone has their own political viewpoints but I found it especially amusing because Suella only a few months ago as home secretary was frothing at the mouth about extremists and banning the right to protest. She's had a swift dose of her own medicine.

Shabbar

Yeah the ulez thing is insane. I was down in London last week for the first time in years.

All I’ve heard about for ages is ULEZ!!!!
so I assumed it was going to affect me. I looked it up and it’s…exactly the same as the low emissions zone in the city I live in. And it hardly affects anybody. And nobody made a fuss when it was brought in. And loads of other cities have them and nobody made a fuss either lol.

JaynieDay

VIP Member
Yeah maybe, I think he is trying to appeal to people who would also typically vote Tory as well. A bit like Blair I guess. I don't think any real left wing Labour party had ever gained power for a significant amount of time. Corbyn tried and failed to mobilise enough people to vote for him.

He could be more left for me but honestly anything else is better than the 14 years of utter shite from the Tories.

Also the sooner the likes of Braverman, Sunak, Hunt, Rees-Mogg et al are banished to history books the sooner.
Are you kidding? When Corbyn campaigned against May the press predicted the collapse of the Labour Party, she barely won. There are more people now who wouldn’t vote Tory, and the older generations are no longer ageing out of voting for Labour to switch conservative. The conservatives need a major rethink on their policies, their vote share is dying off and the votes they are getting are now are from the racists and the remaining grey vote.

Both parties are clueless, directionless and pointless, grasping to outdated ideas when what Britain really needs is a visionary to lead us into the future that makes the average citizen’s life better. New tax laws, a British bill of rights, changing drug policy into a health care issue rather than a criminal issue, we need to invest in British people, renationalise Royal Mail and the Post Office, all public transport and utilities including broadband and mobile phones, change our housing laws and build more affordable housing and invest in public infrastructure. We need to introduce direct democracy so that people can actually participate in the political process, we need to outlaw lobbying and stop contributions to political parties. We need to look after the people more, invest in social services, the NHS, community services. If not we are going to keep falling behind the rest of the world.

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I enjoyed it haha. He was doing God's work. If Rishi wants to deliver some important news in silence he could have stayed in the warm and dry of Number 10.
I usually don't care because he does it when some minister is talking bollocks about something but on this occasion it's just not appropriate. However, I have no idea why Rishi thought it was a good idea to do it outside in the pouring rain.

Reactions: 9