UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree they're more to the right than they have been for a while. Under Cameron they took such a swing to the centre that you could argue this is just a return to more traditional conservatism.
A 'swing' from what? Not the preceding Labour government or probably even the Tories under Major and I wouldn't call using austerity as a tactic to decimate public services centre ground politics but yes, compared with what followed the Cameron government (partially moderated by coalition) was more moderate.

Reactions: 7
The Blair/Cameron years were probably the most moderate as far as domestic policies were concerned.

The wheel really came off after the 2019 election and Boris and his Brexit MP's got in. The Tory candidates literally just had to support Brexit and they got the nomination. All the decent, moderate types like Rory Stewart, Dominic Grieve, David Gauke had all been ousted ... I wish they'd come back.

Anything extreme is bad news whether it's far right or far left. They're two cheeks of the same arse as George Galloway would say.

Reactions: 10
Lee Anderson off to join Reform.
Presumably he's not going to quit as a Tory MP, trigger a by-election and then stand-again as a Reform candidate? I forget how it all works now ...

I see The Reform Party slogan is: Let's Make Britain Great. :rolleyes: Remind you of anyone else? Truly pathetic ... luckily I think most Brits see through the nonsence and Tice is no Trump/Gameshow Host.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Presumably he's not going to quit as a Tory MP, trigger a by-election and then stand-again as a Reform candidate? I forget how it all works now ...

I see The Reform Party slogan is: Let's Make Britain Great. :rolleyes: Remind you of anyone else? Truly pathetic ... luckily I think most Brits see through the nonsence and Tice is no Trump/Gameshow Host.
No by election. You just swap sides.

I have always thought that is very wrong. You were voted in as a representative of a specific party. I'd be livid if the person I voted for suddenly went and joined another party taking my vote with them. It should automatically trigger a by election.

Reactions: 12
No by election. You just swap sides.

I have always thought that is very wrong. You were voted in as a representative of a specific party. I'd be livid if the person I voted for suddenly went and joined another party taking my vote with them. It should automatically trigger a by election.
Some people only seem to demand by-elections when the person involved deflects to a party they don't favour.

If to a party they do favour, then a by-election shouldn't be called, or the need for one is downplayed.

I don't recall seeing the same levels of 'by-election now', when Christian Wakefield deflected to Labour.

I personally believe any deflection should trigger a by-election, regardless of political party

Reactions: 3
Some people only seem to demand by-elections when the person involved deflects to a party they don't favour.

If to a party they do favour, then a by-election shouldn't be called, or the need for one is downplayed.

I don't recall seeing the same levels of 'by-election now', when Christian Wakefield deflected to Labour.

I personally believe any deflection should trigger a by-election, regardless of political party
100%. I don't care who's defecting where. If you change parties then it should automatically trigger one.

Reactions: 12
100%. I don't care who's defecting where. If you change parties then it should automatically trigger one.
I've never bought the argument of 'People vote for the person, not the party', when voting.

Nowadays, it is more likely to be the other way round, unless there is a really strong local candidate standing as MP.

It is like when we had the debacle of those Labour, Conservative and Liberal Dem MPs deflecting over to 'Change UK' a few years ago.

Every single one should have faced a by-election.

Well yes.
However, bearing in mind that in the last few years Anderson has gone from Labour to Conservative to Reform, by the time they organise a by election he could conceivably have been through another 3 or 4 parties.

• Haha
If Labour win the General Election, Anderson will probably try to re-join them.

Did he kiss the Union flag & then offer it as a raffle prize like Donald?
Be interesting to see how many are truly in agreement with his views !

Reactions: 2
Lee Anderson himself advocated for a policy to have a by election when an MP defects to another party. So it's a bit ironic who's told to accept the rules and who's allowed to moan.

Well 3 different parties in 6 years. Lee certainly knows about loyalty!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Lee Anderson himself advocated for a policy to have a by election when an MP defects to another party. So it's a bit ironic who's told to accept the rules and who's allowed to moan.

Newsthump (satire):

• Haha
Reactions: 5

You seem to have somehow overlooked the fact that Anderson is a self serving head.

• Haha
Whatever you think about her politics, this is utterly, utterly appalling.
“The Conservative party’s biggest donor told colleagues that looking at Diane Abbott makes you “want to hate all black women” and said the MP “should be shot”, the Guardian can reveal.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.