UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting that you should choose a pair of racist, sexist arseholes who weren’t funny.
Hester wasn’t joking though was he?
I don’t think they were joking either tbf, do you think she should have the whip reinstated on the back of this?

Reactions: 1
Personally I don't because she was suspended for something unrelated.
I completely agree.
I also think that the fact that Diane Abbott has been extremely outspoken in the past and has currently had the whip suspended is actually irrelevant. She’s the victim here.

Reactions: 4
I completely agree.
I also think that the fact that Diane Abbott has been extremely outspoken in the past and has currently had the whip suspended is actually irrelevant. She’s the victim here.
I agree. The two are not connected. It was an awful thing to say.

I completely agree.
Some will think it relevant if this is used to reinstate her.

I don't think Diane having her whip restored has anything to do with this but if saying something offensive against a group of people has consequences then the Tories should denounce Frank like they did Lee Anderson and like Labour did Diane.

Let the same rules apply to everyone.

The fact a civilian is escaping consequence just because they have some money is insane.

Don't you think if we heard all conversations from MPs and Donors from any political party it would be an absolute river of filth attacking all and sundry? I'm probably overly cynical, but I do. :ROFLMAO::cautious:
You may well be right, but the point here is that there has to be consequences. To let this go just because he (almost) apologised is allowing something like this to be normalised. We rightly condemn the things that people said for a laugh back in the 70’s now because, not only were they deeply offensive, they helped to perpetuate the myth that some people were better somehow than others. His comments were not jokey, they were deeply unpleasant, offensive and reek of white man’s privilege. As a white man myself his comments make me feel embarrassed. The Tory Party have no shame in keeping the money and this recent episode only serves to show how far the party have sunk over the last 14 years.
As for Diane Abbott, this should have no bearing on the whip issue but you do have to wonder why the process has taken so long. Personally I think that her comments were clumsy and unwise but I don’t think, in that particular article, they were antisemitic. Discrimination and prejudice are clearly wrong but trying to create a hierarchy only serves to divide. She has faced the most awful abuse and it is understandable that she would want to fight the corner for people of a different skin colour, but she should be savvy enough to know that you can’t bring Jewish people into a conversation in politics if you are a member of the Labour Party at a time when Starmer is desperately trying to distance the party from claims of antisemitism without risking a backlash. Yes, I know she mentioned other white skinned groups too, but as soon as you say that any group of people have faced greater suffering than the Jewish people you immediately make yourself a target for accusations of antisemitism. She is not stupid and will know that her words are going to be used against her and the Labour Party if she says or publishes anything that gives the media a chance to stoke up the antisemitism claims. It helped to deflect from Corbyn’s election campaign message and Starmer is not going to let anything of this nature derail his campaign.
She lost the whip because of her own carelessness. She needs to prove that she is a team player and not a loose cannon. That she can be an asset to the Labour election campaign and not a distraction. If she feels that she cannot do that as it is not being true to herself, then she should stand as an independent where she is free to say what she likes about anything and anyone. The problem here that, as with Jeremy Corbyn, the story ends up being all about Diane Abbott rather than her very worthy cause. Sadly we live in a world where the media uses its massive power to try and destroy anyone or anything that doesn’t suit their agenda. Diane Abbott is just another pawn in a very unpleasant game. I admire her bravery but she really needs be a bit more savvy if she wants to play the game from within the system.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Sadly we live in a world where the media uses its massive power to try and destroy anyone or anything that doesn’t suit their agenda.
I assume you refer to legacy media and for good or ill their power is diminishing by the second (due to numerous factors I won't go into now). I'm speculating, but I would guess no one under the age of about 35 reads a newspaper or watches mainstream news. How this relates to the age of people who actually vote I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out. I do know that in the US there are a lot of angry poor white men with guns who vote, in their droves, as compared to minorty groups and/or women. It kinda skews 'democracy' in that sense and it's bloody scary!

I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of the "she should be shot" line. Is it not incitement to violence?!

Reactions: 6
I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of the "she should be shot" line. Is it not incitement to violence?!
Not if a rich white man says it about a black woman, no.

Did I read correctly that Hester gave another £5million on top of the £10million we already knew about? No wonder none of the idiots dragged out to tell us that him being a racist was OK because he’d said sorry would be drawn on whether they’d take any more of his money. They already had.🙄

Reactions: 5
I assume you refer to legacy media and for good or ill their power is diminishing by the second (due to numerous factors I won't go into now). I'm speculating, but I would guess no one under the age of about 35 reads a newspaper or watches mainstream news. How this relates to the age of people who actually vote I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out. I do know that in the US there are a lot of angry poor white men with guns who vote, in their droves, as compared to minorty groups and/or women. It kinda skews 'democracy' in that sense and it's bloody scary!
People may not read newspapers as they used to, but the articles from the daily newspapers appear in newsfeeds everyday. My phone is full of garbage from the Mail, Express, Telegraph etc. There is a reason that very rich and powerful men like Murdoch still want to own newspapers and tv and radio stations and that is to control the news narrative.
---
Not if a rich white man says it about a black woman, no.

Did I read correctly that Hester gave another £5million on top of the £10million we already knew about? No wonder none of the idiots dragged out to tell us that him being a racist was OK because he’d said sorry would be drawn on whether they’d take any more of his money. They already had.🙄
Indeed!
And there are so many more issues going on here. Hester gets millions of pounds worth of governments contracts and gives them back £15m. This money comes from us. The Tory Party are using our money to fund themselves!
So we now live in a country where it has become normalised to say out loud and in public what could only be said behind closed doors and we are funding the very people who have dragged this country into the gutter.
Anyone voting for this party at the next election needs to have a good look at their moral compass. If you find you can’t vote for any other party then please stay at home on election day!

Last edited:
If you find you can’t vote for any other party then please stay at home on election day!
It's important to vote. Democracy isn't a given and over the course of human history it's actually a very rare thing. Even today many countries in the world prefer authoritarian rule. Just turn-up and spoil your ballot paper if you must, or write: I hereby give my vote to Lord James O'Brien Esq. 😬

Reactions: 3
If you find you can’t vote for any other party then please stay at home on election day!
Anyone who can’t vote for another party out of some weird loyalty honestly needs to give their head a little wobble

Chances are Tory voters don’t agree with absolutely every policy or proposal that gets put out there and still vote for them. So I’m sure they can find a party that mostly agrees with whatever they believe in, or even engage in some tactical voting as many other people do

Reactions: 3
Grant Schapps ... so brave. :rolleyes:
Hey don’t laugh. Putin was clearly on to him. According to the Twitter he’s going to be the next leader - presumably he Michael Green, Sebastian Fox and Corinne Stockheath will be operating some kind of job share.

Hey don’t laugh. Putin was clearly on to him. According to the Twitter he’s going to be the next leader - presumably he Michael Green, Sebastian Fox and Corinne Stockheath will be operating some kind of job share.
Good Lord. Twitter really has lost the bleeping plot. :ROFLMAO:

Is anyone else confused by the current fuss over the so called first black leader in the UK The U.K. has its first Black government leader as Vaughan Gething is elected first minister of Wales - ABC News

I was under the impression that ''black'' in the UK meant all racial minorities including all the asian ones, So we either have people who are black or white? Have the definitions changed? Isnt Richie Sunak black? or Humza Yousaf?
I believe that descriptor was mostly used between the 60s and 80s, maybe 90s, when most non white people in the UK were Asian.

It was also useful for organisation when standing up to discrimination.

Asians still make up most of the non white population in the UK (I believe) but times have moved on.

Nowadays, people who don't have African ancestry won't describe themselves as black.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.