UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think a lot of these working age people not working due to mental health, ADHD, autism (those with anxiety) is due to their consuming 24/7 doom and gloom news.
They're worrying about overseas wars and seeing graphic images and being brainwashed by the eco nuts saying the world will be on fire. That kind of thing must really affect growing brains.
When I was a kid all there was was TV and newspaper, my family didn't listen to radio and when the news came on I went out to play as it was very boring to me. Though I seem to recall a couple of sensational headlines that worried me at the time. As an adult I've never sought out news but obviously you can't avoid it all the time.
I think it's more to do with social media and people self-diagnosing themselves with conditions they probably don't have or catastrophising things that are perfectly normal (anxiety etc)

Reactions: 8
I think a lot of these working age people not working due to mental health, ADHD, autism (those with anxiety) is due to their consuming 24/7 doom and gloom news.
They're worrying about overseas wars and seeing graphic images and being brainwashed by the eco nuts saying the world will be on fire. That kind of thing must really affect growing brains.
When I was a kid all there was was TV and newspaper, my family didn't listen to radio and when the news came on I went out to play as it was very boring to me. Though I seem to recall a couple of sensational headlines that worried me at the time. As an adult I've never sought out news but obviously you can't avoid it all the time.
Maybe, it doesn't help that many of us are glued to our phones all the time now.

I think it's a perfect storm of a number of things. There seems to be a less positive outlook on the world now, coupled with a high cost of living, seemingly rubbish job market.

You go to uni only to be rejected for a job at McDonald's, saddled with crippling student debt and paying hundreds in rent, knowing you will never be able to afford your own home.

It's all really very depressing. Anyway, happy Wednesday. Looking forward to saving my 2p in National Insurance contributions.

Reactions: 11
Budget day. What do we want to see?

More people in work to help grow the economy.

Benefits given to those who rightly deserve them, and at the right amount.

Stop pandering to small boat arrivals. Loads of ideas, but they need to happen.

Too many civil servants working from home. Sort them out!

Too many in management rolls in the NHS. Thin it out and offer nurses more money to attract new trainees to join up.

Stop being a nanny state and get tough again.
Tell me you read the Daily Mail without telling me you read the Daily Mail 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Tell me you read the Daily Mail without telling me you read the Daily Mail 😆
Do you think it’s worth pointing out to people who post things like this that things might just possibly improve if they stop voting Conservative?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
things might just possibly improve if they stop voting Conservative?
I very much doubt that's going to happen. The West is in decline and has been for at least 25 years. That's going to continue whoever is in power. I think another global pandemic will finish-us off once and for all. Thank god I have no debt. I have no money either mind you. :cautious:

Reactions: 1
Do you think it’s worth pointing out to people who post things like this that things might just possibly improve if they stop voting Conservative?
I think anyone who’s swallows the DM/Tory party rhetoric to the point they are determined to still vote Conservative at the next election won’t be persuaded by people telling them things might improve if they didn’t.

The UK is full of people who bemoan failing public services while always voting Conservative and fail to see the connection between the two.

Reactions: 9
Hands up who completely forgot that the chancellor these days was Jeremy Hunt

Reactions: 4
I'm not convinced the next GE will result on the massive landslide for Labour that everyone is predicting.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I very much doubt that's going to happen. The West is in decline and has been for at least 25 years. That's going to continue whoever is in power. I think another global pandemic will finish-us off once and for all. Thank god I have no debt. I have no money either mind you. :cautious:
The West is in decline yet we never had as many billionaires. Half the billionaires in the world live in the West. Decline or not (that's a complex topic as China's economy is coughing at the moment, Russia and other petrostates live from their natural ressources etc.) what has massively increased in the West those last two decades are inequalities - as the number of ultra rich is increasing, the middle class is eroding while people in poverty are rising. This phenomenon combined to the sophistication of tax havens over the years is resulting in failing infrastructures, social welfare disappearing and education being thrown to the bin (literacy, simple notions of mathematics etc.). We could have better average living conditions if this could be reversed - it would probably come with a rise in productivity, entrepreneurship and R&D.

We are being sold to feed the greed of a small elite. No idea if Labour would do better as clearly those structures permitting the plundering of our society are not tied to a political party. But voting for the Tories would equate to rewarding them for more of a decade of destruction.

Reactions: 6
The West is in decline yet we never had as many billionaires. Half the billionaires in the world live in the West. Decline or not (that's a complex topic as China's economy is coughing at the moment, Russia and other petrostates live from their natural ressources etc.) what has massively increased in the West those last two decades are inequalities - as the number of ultra rich is increasing, the middle class is eroding while people in poverty are rising.
It's complex but it's also very simple, one word: GREED. Bernie Sanders gave a good speech last year in which he summed it all up quite well in about 10 minutes. I'll see if I can find it. Sadly I'm not sure greed is something that can be solved. :cautious:

Reactions: 4
It's complex but it's also very simple, one word: GREED. Bernie Sanders gave a good speech last year in which he summed it all up quite well in about 10 minutes. I'll see if I can find it. Sadly I'm not sure greed is something that can be solved. :cautious:
Did you see Bernie Sanders did the Full Disclosure podcast with James O'Brien recently?

Reactions: 2
Did you see Bernie Sanders did the Full Disclosure podcast with James O'Brien recently?
God no. I can't abide that self-publicist. Here it is, although the bit I liked the most is almost clipped at the very start ...

I know attention-spans and low these days, but these are the figures:

3 people own more wealth than the bottom half (160 million) of people in the US.

In the UK, 100 people own more wealth than the bottom 18 million people than in the UK.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I'm not convinced the next GE will result on the massive landslide for Labour that everyone is predicting.
I've been thinking the same. The predictions that the media make.neved reflect reality. It's gonna be a mess either way.

Reactions: 3
Don't listen to polling companies. Polling companies exist to provide data for media outlets to hang their content on. It's just a racket. A vile industry, like advertising but without the nice artwork.

There was no need for this to be announced during the Budget, but it has stirred up a hornets nest which I guess was the plan
Half the budget seemed to be heckling each other and seeing what [H]*unt could say to get a rise out of the Labour back benchers.

Half the budget seemed to be heckling each other and seeing what [H]*unt could say to get a rise out of the Labour back benchers.
Hunt comes across as a reasonable bloke to me when you consider the bunch of rabid blithering idiots in his party.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.