UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not sure what Sunak is up to with this nonsense about democracy being undermined.
If anything I would have thought GG being elected shows democracy in play - the majority voted for him and so he got into government?

Reactions: 1
If anything I would have thought GG being elected shows democracy in play - the majority voted for him and so he got into government?
That's certainly a valid argument although I wouldn't trust the loathsome Galloway and his cronies further than I could throw them. It feels like Sunak is okay with democracy up to the point that it threatens the Tories staying in power.
---
... I am deeply concerned that a UK MP has been elected on essentially a foreign policy.
... and that a sitting PM is citing opposition to that policy as 'anti-democratic' and possibly a justification for the introduction of extraordinary measures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
It's actually insane to think that we have a PM making some serious sounding statements about extremism when nothing notable has actually happened

If it has happened then I clearly missed it, and I don't live under a rock

Reactions: 4
In all his talk about the rise of extremism and criticism of GG no mention of Suella Braverman who did the absolute most to stoke up racial and religious hatred amongst the British Public. So much so that the right wing descended on London and made an arse out of themselves.

Rishi and his speech was essentially a paid PSA by the very influential lobbyists who need to control the narrative around the genocide of Palestinians and always frame themselves as the only victims ever.

Now that GG duly elected through a democratic process (don’t really like the man but that’s by the by) unlike our unelected PM has seen a slight tide shift, it’s annoyed and scared them in equal measure. So Rishi was rolled out to give his ridiculous speech.

There's also something interesting about a speech about extremism coming shortly after the mess that was Lee Anderson

Reactions: 7
It's actually insane to think that we have a PM making some serious sounding statements about extremism when nothing notable has actually happened

If it has happened then I clearly missed it, and I don't live under a rock
And that a lot of the extremism comes from within his own party that he fails to address. Galloway isn't the only one galvanising support by being divisive.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
And that a lot of the extremism comes from within his own party that he fails to address. Galloway isn't the only one galvanising support by being divisive.
I think what also scares the political class is that whilst a section of the polity has no doubt turned-off and tuned-out of politics another group is very much actively engaged in politics, especially international politics. Last thing any government want is an educated and informed population holding them to account! :geek:

• Heart
... and that a sitting PM is citing opposition to that policy as 'anti-democratic' and possibly a justification for the introduction of extraordinary measures.
I'm actually very concerned about a lot of our sitting MP's behaviour including our PM. I'm just very nervous about a person who wins a By Election and the the first thing that's said is 'I'm doing this for Gazza' and 'Free Free Palestine'. What about the residents of Rochdale who are in food and fuel poverty? Grooming gangs? George Galloway doesn't give a stuff about that.

Reactions: 9
I'm actually very concerned about a lot of our sitting MP's behaviour including our PM. I'm just very nervous about a person who wins a By Election and the the first thing that's said is 'I'm doing this for Gazza' and 'Free Free Palestine'. What about the residents of Rochdale who are in food and fuel poverty? Grooming gangs? George Galloway doesn't give a stuff about that.
He sent another leaflet to the white working class where he talked about how he knows what a woman is etc. Also I think he plans to "Make Rochdale great again" by bringing back the big Primark.

Reactions: 2
He sent another leaflet to the white working class where he talked about how he knows what a woman is etc. Also I think he plans to "Make Rochdale great again" by bringing back the big Primark.
I saw that. He's pandering to certain a demographic there. What an odd manifesto. Free Palestine and bring back the big Primark.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
As is everyone else

Be it immigration or trans rights or whatever other issue gets blown slightly out of proportion
Everyone is so angry and ready to fight. I think it was in this thread I said I'd stopped looking at twitter. My timeline was a Muslin woman being abused on a bus. A Jewish man being abused on a train. Black only performances of plays and George Galloway. I really did have a WTF moment. Everything is so binary. If you question Immigration it means you're a gammon racist and go around screaming 'stop the boats'. If you question trans women in sport or prisons you're a TERF and a transphobe. If you want a ceasefire in Gaza you're a Hamas supporter. If you bring up Oct 7th you're a Zionist. It's exhausting.

Meanwhile our hospitals are falling apart. There is fuel poverty. There is food poverty. Our schools are falling down and our water is full of tit. I wish people would get as angry about all of that and protest every Saturday with such passion.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I'm no fan of the Barclay Brothers ... but why are these people picking on Barclays? (Sorry, not read the article).
According to that Guardian article - Barclays has links to Arms suppliers to Israel.
The UK barely even registers in Arms supplies to Israel
israel-arms-pie-chart-2011-20.jpg

Reactions: 3
According to that Guardian article - Barclays has links to Arms suppliers to Israel.
View attachment 2791972
From palestinecampaign.org
Our research has uncovered that Barclays Bank holds over £1 billion in shares, and provides over £3 billion in loans and underwriting to 9 companies whose weapons, components, and military technology are being used by Israel in its attacks on Palestinians.

This includes General Dynamics, which produces the gun systems that arm the fighter jets used by Israel to bombard Gaza, and Elbit Systems, which produces armoured drones, munitions and artillery weapons used by the Israeli military.

By providing investment and financial services to these arms companies, Barclays is facilitating the provision of weapons and technology for Israel’s attacks on Palestinians.
General Dynamics HQ is in the US; Elbit Systems HQ is in Israel and apparently produces 85% of land-based equipment for the IDF. Basically, not only UK based

Thanks. It's absurd. If anyone in the UK has an issue with the Israeli Govt. and they feel a need to protest the first and only port of call is the US Embassy. Biden could call a ceasefire within about an hour and still have time for a cup of poorly American-made tea. I suppose their rationale is that Barclay's bank branches are an easy target and they'd get short-shrift if they try to mess with the US Embassy: ie: A bullet to the face.

Thanks. It's absurd. If anyone in the UK has an issue with the Israeli Govt. and they feel a need to protest the first and only port of call is the US Embassy. Biden could call a ceasefire within about an hour and still have time for a cup of poorly American-made tea. I suppose their rationale is that Barclay's bank branches are an easy target and they'd get short-shrift if they try to mess with the US Embassy: ie: A bullet to the face.
But it is almost like this hasn't been going on for 70+ years and nothing has changed.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.