UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are people insinuating that this is voter fraud? I’m not sure what’s wrong with postal votes
Seems as though the assumption is if you're doing a postal vote then you're not around in Rochdale enough to have a say.

But a postal vote only means someone wasn't able to get to the polling station on that particular Thursday for whatever reason.

Could be due to age or work.

They might just be as much a part of Rochdale as anyone else. All constituents have a right to vote.

The low voter turnout is a bigger worry, I'd say. Just from a point of political engagement.

Reactions: 9
Seems as though the assumption is if you're doing a postal vote then you're not around in Rochdale enough to have a say.

But a postal vote only means someone wasn't able to get to the polling station on that particular Thursday for whatever reason.

Could be due to age or work.

They might just be as much a part of Rochdale as anyone else. All constituents have a right to vote.

The low voter turnout is a bigger worry, I'd say. Just from a point of political engagement.
I always do a postal vote and yet my polling station if literally around the corner from where I live.

I suspect this is just a protest vote because the war in Gaza has been dominating the news. I hope come the general election the voter turnout is much higher but so many are disaffected with politics at the moment I'm not hopeful.

Reactions: 8
Oh that’s a load of bollocks! I know lots of people who use postal votes for various reasons. I use one because I have a chronic illness and don’t know if I will be well enough on voting day. Someone else told me he uses one as he ‘can’t be arse to queue’.

Reactions: 5
I think in this case it's not an objection to the postal vote, its whether the in-person turnout was so low at 7700-ish means people may have been intimidated out of turning up to vote in person.

The huge problem with postal voting is that most of them are cast days before the election day (yes I do know there are processes by which you can still go and vote on the day but they're not widely known/used). So what happens if something happens or is said in the day or two before election day that may have changed how people wished to vote. Also personally, I feel that if there are enough people who need to use a postal vote because of work or being away/ill/infirm etc then we probably should be biting the bullet and allowing internet voting in some form now.

Reactions: 4
i saw the galloway interview live, at the end while sam is trying to talk to camera after to summarise they started waving in his face, shouting etc to the point where he couldn't speak. actually quite uncomfortable viewing, you could tell based on his body language he was tense and just wanted out asap

Reactions: 3
The comments on this will unnerve a few, more support for George than they thought.

The comments on this will unnerve a few, more support for George than they thought.
I think Twitter / X always leans more left than the general UK population. If what everyone was saying on Twitter in 2019 was believed to be the attitude of the whole of the UK Jeremy Corbyn would have been PM.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think Twitter / X always leans more left than the general UK population. If what everyone was saying on Twitter in 2019 was believed to be the attitude of the whole of the UK Jeremy Corbyn would have been PM.
If you believe Twitter we'd still be in the EU and, as you say, have Corbyn as PM. Twitter is never a true barometer of what the population thinks.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Well Gorgeous George is now my MP. I ended up voting monster Raving Loony. Galloway absolutely hates women who stand up to him. His treatment of Naz Shah in Bradford was absolutely despicable. He's an opportunistic shill who will take money from Iran and Russia and defend their leadership whilst decrying British politics as undemocratic. I cannot wait for the GE to be called so he can duck off back out of town. He's claimed he's already arranged for the indoor market to reopen. I might make an appointment with his office to find out more about that and how I can get a stall so I can sell some rationality to people here.

As for postal votes, I always used to have one because I worked as a poll clerk so couldn't go and vote in person. However there have been questions before over the legitimacy of postal votes especially when you don't need ID for it and anyone in the household could technically request it and return it not necessarily the named elector.

Reactions: 9
Well Gorgeous George is now my MP. I ended up voting monster Raving Loony. Galloway absolutely hates women who stand up to him. His treatment of Naz Shah in Bradford was absolutely despicable. He's an opportunistic shill who will take money from Iran and Russia and defend their leadership whilst decrying British politics as undemocratic. I cannot wait for the GE to be called so he can duck off back out of town. He's claimed he's already arranged for the indoor market to reopen. I might make an appointment with his office to find out more about that and how I can get a stall so I can sell some rationality to people here.

As for postal votes, I always used to have one because I worked as a poll clerk so couldn't go and vote in person. However there have been questions before over the legitimacy of postal votes especially when you don't need ID for it and anyone in the household could technically request it and return it not necessarily the named elector.
Agreed, it was the same in Bethnal Green and Bow vs Oona King. Hopefully he won't be your MP for too long.

I'm not sure what Sunak is up to with this nonsense about democracy being undermined. If there's a right wing threat it's within his own party. Some people have gone as far as suggesting that Sunak is building up to postponing the election. Whatever it is, it can't be anything good.

Things are far changed from 2019 , the younger voter more influenced by SM the oldies (usually )go to the grave supporting the same party ,unless the current climate has affected them too 🤷🏼‍♀️ if anything Sunaks speech has done more for extremism than he’ll ever know .
---

Our politicians / campaigners used to visit the people ( especially elderly) and offer to fill it in and post it for them 😂

Reactions: 1
I'm not sure what Sunak is up to with this nonsense about democracy being undermined. If there's a right wing threat it's within his own party.
Going on LIVE TV to essentially slag-off Galloway when you have some real nasty bastards in your own party is patently absurd. I'm convinced by doing this he's broken some sort of broadcasting or electoral rule. What's to stop him doing this once a week on TV? Just issuing proclaimations about whatever is on his mind?

I think I would have done the same given the options.

He is a scary guy. Just look at some of his henchmen supporters standing around him. If you want to see what's just been elected there have look at Sky's Sam Coates X timeline. This is a snapshot of what happened. Sam has also posted the full interveiw with Galloway too.

'Free Free Palestine '

I am deeply concerned that a UK MP has been elected on essentially a foreign policy.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.