UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As Cameron isn’t an MP he “had” to be awarded a peerage. Meaning he will sit in the House of Lords rather than the HoC - presumably avoiding the inconvenience of being questioned by the opposition. Integrity and accountability eh Rishi?
What an embarrassing shambles this country has become.

Reactions: 12
For Cameron it's a massive win. A return to front line politics without all the aggravation of being an actual MP.

Was Lord Carrington ever an actual MP or did he always serve with the government as a peer? ( I know he was a hereditary peer)
Lord Carrington was never an MP. He was a gentleman and a first-class patriot. Which is why he wouldn't fit in with todays Conservative party.
---
As Cameron isn’t an MP he “had” to be awarded a peerage. Meaning he will sit in the House of Lords rather than the HoC - presumably avoiding the inconvenience of being questioned by the opposition. Integrity and accountability eh Rishi?
What an embarrassing shambles this country has become.
Yes. However the convention is that another Foreign Office minister will attend cabinet and be the chief spokesperson in the Commons (and be Camerons whipping boy/girl)

Can someone clear this up for me: I’ve read today that Rishi Sunak made Dave Cameron a Lord - Can he do that? And why did he do that? But he won’t be able to sit in the House of Commons? So the MP of one of the Great Offices of State won’t be sitting next to his PM when he is inevitably asked about what he’s doing in role of Foreign Secretary.
---
Also was David Cameron’s return in the cards for anyone? It feels like it’s come from left field.

Can someone clear this up for me: I’ve read today that Rishi Sunak made Dave Cameron a Lord - Can he do that? And why did he do that? But he won’t be able to sit in the House of Commons? So the MP of one of the Great Offices of State won’t be sitting next to his PM when he is inevitably asked about what he’s doing in role of Foreign Secretary.
---
Also was David Cameron’s return in the cards for anyone? It feels like it’s come from left field.
He can do that as PM. Why? God knows, but maybe he is trying to convince middle england that his government isn't the bunch of archoles that we all think they are.

TBF, Gordon Brown did appoint Peter Mandelson as DTI minister and Deputy Prime Minister when he was a Peer.

Reactions: 4
---
David Cameron can be a government minister without being an MP if he is in the house of Lords hence the quickly given peerage.

That was why we were discussing Lord Carrington who served in many government positions without ever being an MP. He was a hereditary peer ( since abolished).

Same thing happened to Peter Mandelson. He was made a Lord so he could come back into Gordon Brown's cabinet.

Reactions: 2
---
Cameron mentioned in around 2018 that he may return to politics, I heard this on the radio earlier.

Reactions: 1
He can do that as PM. Why? God knows, but maybe he is trying to convince middle england that his government isn't the bunch of archoles that we all think they are.

TBF, Gordon Brown did appoint Peter Mandelson as DTI minister and Deputy Prime Minister when he was a Peer.
In which case bringing back one of the chief arseholes may not have been his brightest idea. Next thing we know he’ll be appointing Johnson as special envoy to Israel and digging up Thatcher.

Reactions: 2
How on earth is Cameron back after all that corruption he was involved in with Greensill?
They really take us for fools.
Cameron who has caused so much division in this nation because of the Scottish referendum and bloody Brexit!

Reactions: 6
In which case bringing back one of the chief arseholes may not have been his brightest idea. Next thing we know he’ll be appointing Johnson as special envoy to Israel and digging up Thatcher.
But Cameron was liked among traditional Conservative voters and that is who Rishi needs to attract back to the party and very quickly. Boris and the Conservatives got the UKIP/Brexit vote and the anti Corbyn vote in 2019 ... that's not the case now and they are drowning. Any sensible person is going to vote Starmer or Lib Dem.

Cameron also got on well with the European Union leaders .. no one ever ignored him like they did with May or Johnson. I'll never forget the image of May wandering around like Billy No Mates at a European Union meeting.

Reactions: 3

Watch to the end of the clip. None of our politicians are in it for anything except the money.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
But Cameron was liked among traditional Conservative voters and that is who Rishi needs to attract back to the party and very quickly. Boris and the Conservatives got the UKIP/Brexit vote and the anti Corbyn vote in 2019 ... that's not the case now and they are drowning. Any sensible person is going to vote Starmer or Lib Dem.

Cameron also got on well with the European Union leaders .. no one ever ignored him like they did with May or Johnson. I'll never forget the image of May wandering around like Billy No Mates at a European Union meeting.
Yes. However I think that after “normal” Conservatives ( Ken Clark, Grieve, Rory Stewart etc) got turfed out, the type of Tories who thought like them would now be more at home in Starmer’s Labour Party. The Tories have lurched horrifically to the right - I’ve already heard people complaining about the reintroduction of Cameron because he’s a “lefty remoaner”.
He may get a slightly warmer reception than May, but he was the person who instigated the Brexit referendum- I’d guess there are plenty of European leaders who think he’s beneath contempt.
I can’t believe it’s 2023 and we’re discussing a government including David Cameron.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.