UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is particularly vile ... I am always amazed that this can be someones first thought. Some people need to take a break from politics, it's obviously in their head 24/7. Must be exhausting. Take a day off and go and watch Love Island.

Reactions: 6
Yeah. It wasn't for scientific research and I am pretty sure they signed a waiver in case of death so I'm not sure why it's all over the news. There are terrible things going on the world over.

Hundreds of migrants died in Greece and yet didn't receive anywhere close to this coverage. Another boat capsized in Nigeria a week or so ago in which 108 people died, nothing in the news.

I could list a bunch of tragic stories from around the world that never get covered in the news, yet a few rich people in a sub going down to view the Titanic shipwreck and its headline news. Don't mean to sound harsh, it's sad of course, but the focus on it is just a but much.
The saga of the submarine is such a novel and dramatic disaster that I quite understand why it has captured the attention of the media and the imagination of the public.

Many of the other stories you mention are tragically not uncommon. There is nothing unusual enough about them to generate much interest from the media. Plus of course as a glance at the appropriate thread will tell you there is a section of the media and public that has little to no sympathy with migrants dying anyway.

For my own part and hopefully it goes for many others too, I don't think having empathy with one situation takes away from feelings about the other.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
She's still going ....

I think most of us will agree that coverage is a bit OTT. The problem here is novelty value. That's why it's piqued peoples interest. I also think it's sad that someone like Ash Sarkar seems to think you can't have sympathies and compassion for both this and the migrant ship tragedy.

• Heart
She's still going ....

I think most of us will agree that coverage is a bit OTT. The problem here is novelty value. That's why it's piqued peoples interest. I also think it's sad that someone like Ash Sarkar seems to think you can't have sympathies and compassion for both this and the migrant ship tragedy.
Two of my bullies have died rather horrible deaths. Am I going to celebrate? No, I'm better than that.

Reactions: 1
Interestingly, the migrant boat got more coverage *at first*. My mum mentioned five people getting lost in the ocean on Saturday and I thought 'what's she on about? I've only heard about the migrants."

This is particularly vile ... I am always amazed that this can be someones first thought. Some people need to take a break from politics, it's obviously in their head 24/7. Must be exhausting. Take a day off and go and watch Love Island.
I don't necessarily disagree with her basic point but she has such a vile, confrontational way about conveying an argument. I think she's got oppositional defiance disorder or something. As you say, so very exhausting, both for her and for us. There's a lot of them about in the meeja at the moment ... luckily we have Tattle.

Reactions: 2
Just when you start to think the lunacy of this government cannot get any worse ...

Of course there's nothing in the government's staffing plan for the NHS about actually paying them a decent wage.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Rishi was on Test Match Special just now. Quite nice listening to him not getting the fourth degree from some hackeyed television presenter.

We all knew a Jess Phillips at school. The loud, gobby one who you always tried to keep away from, or stay on the right side of, because you knew she would make your life a misery otherwise.

Ms Birbalsingh obviously made an oversight when retweeting the Tina Turner post. Jess Phillips' reaction is hugely out of proportion. To then suggest that Ms Birbalsingh endorses domestic violence and her school's policies should be looked into?! You just know that if Diane Abbot had done thr same, she would be defending her to the hilt. At first I thought they must have a history to provoke such a pile‐on, but apparently they have never even met.

I thought Ms Birbalsingh's response was excellent, and just shows the void in class between these two women.

Sorry for the DM link. It was the only one I could find that had the full letter and tweets.

Reactions: 3
We all knew a Jess Phillips at school. The loud, gobby one who you always tried to keep away from, or stay on the right side of, because you knew she would make your life a misery otherwise.
Learned behaviour is my guess. A few months back a female labour mp was being heckled in the chamber by a load of men, it was a debate about trans-rights I think. Jess said nothing, nada, nought. I can't remember the womans name, but she has the audacity to claim that only women can give birth ... I don't think Jess likes that view, ergo she turns a blind eye to bullying against females she doesn't much like. Awful woman.

Reactions: 5

Ms Birbalsingh obviously made an oversight when retweeting the Tina Turner post. Jess Phillips' reaction is hugely out of proportion. To then suggest that Ms Birbalsingh endorses domestic violence and her school's policies should be looked into?! You just know that if Diane Abbot had done thr same, she would be defending her to the hilt. At first I thought they must have a history to provoke such a pile‐on, but apparently they have never even met.

I thought Ms Birbalsingh's response was excellent, and just shows the void in class between these two women.

Sorry for the DM link. It was the only one I could find that had the full letter and tweets.
Didn’t read the DM link but looked for the story elsewhere and a little confused as to why Birbalsingh has deduced that it was a racist pile on? Birbalsingh has enough examples of her being an arse that surely it might just be because she’s thoroughly unlikeable. I also thought tweeting Tina Turner with Ike was in bad taste too, fwiw.

Didn’t read the DM link but looked for the story elsewhere and a little confused as to why Birbalsingh has deduced that it was a racist pile on? Birbalsingh has enough examples of her being an arse that surely it might just be because she’s thoroughly unlikeable. I also thought tweeting Tina Turner with Ike was in bad taste too, fwiw.
From what I read the head mistress was coming from the angle that the labour party/Jess Phillips want black/ethnic people to be or feel victimised. She's feels like a commodity, used by the labour party to achieve their objectives and she feels that's racist.

From what I read the head mistress was coming from the angle that the labour party/Jess Phillips want black/ethnic people to be or feel victimised. She's feels like a commodity, used by the labour party to achieve their objectives and she feels that's racist.
That’s…. quite some reach by her but again, nothing she does surprises me. She’s very calculated - her, Priti Patel and Stella Braverman are very similar.

Reactions: 4
Ehhh, Birbalsingh is friends with Braverman, which tells you everything you need to know about her.
I’m pretty sure Braverman was on the board of governors at Birbalsingh’s school.

Oh that all seems to have a mountain Farage was trying to make out of a molehill by the way. It seems like he simply didn't qualify for the type of bank account he had, so the bank wanted to transfer him to a different type of account and he refused, leading to his account simply being closed.

Ironically, reading between the lines it may be that he was using his personal account as a 'family' one which his kids could also withdraw money from. But that became a problem as they're not British residents so, post-Brexit, money keeping on being taken out of the account from within the EU became an issue for the bank. But like I say, it seems like he was simply offered a move to a type of account he could use for that sort of transaction and refused.

So, really, this is just one of those misplaced consumer complaints via social media that's writ larger, and stupider, than most.

(Meanwhile, whether there are tax implications for any income from their father that his grown up children haven't been declaring will be a matter for, I'm guessing, the German equivalent of inland revenue.)

Oh that all seems to have a mountain Farage was trying to make out of a molehill by the way. It seems like he simply didn't qualify for the type of bank account he had, so the bank wanted to transfer him to a different type of account and he refused, leading to his account simply being closed.

Ironically, reading between the lines it may be that he was using his personal account as a 'family' one which his kids could also withdraw money from. But that became a problem as they're not British residents so, post-Brexit, money keeping on being taken out of the account from within the EU became an issue for the bank. But like I say, it seems like he was simply offered a move to a type of account he could use for that sort of transaction and refused.

So, really, this is just one of those misplaced consumer complaints via social media that's writ larger, and stupider, than most.

(Meanwhile, whether there are tax implications for any income from their father that his grown up children haven't been declaring will be a matter for, I'm guessing, the German equivalent of inland revenue.)
If that's the reason that would be hilarious. Mr Brexit complaining about one of the consequences of Brexit. I mean - they even said people should be fine with eating turnips to make Brexit work.

Reactions: 2
I know PMQs is a pantomime, but the bloke standing-in for Rishi today is a absolute melt.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.