UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The list of people that have declined an honour is quite something:
Alan Bennett
David Bowie
Danny Boyle
Michael Faraday
Albert Finney
David Hockney
Peter O'Toole
John Cole
Brian Eno
CS Lewis
Malcolm MacDowell
Paul Weller
Peter Capaldi
Ian McDiarmid
John Oliver
Howard Gayle
(there are more, but these are the eye catchers).

I'd rather be associated with these people rather than with 'Sir' Iain Duncan Smith, 'Sir' Jacob Rees-Mogg, 'Sir' Jimmy Savile.....

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Boris Johnson's birthday is the same day as the parliamentary vote? Beautiful. If only the Tories weren't chickening out, he would be getting the present he deserves.

He's apparently having a quiet "family" day in Oxfordshire...and a visit from Peppa Pig who still believes in him.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
He's apparently having a quiet "family" day in Oxfordshire...and a visit from Peppa Pig who still believes in him.
I wonder if all his bastards will be in attendance? And I don't mean Mogg or Dorries, I mean his actual bastards.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Do you think he can remember how many he has actually got? Or how many he has been repeatedly assured he has?

• Haha
Time to Face The Music now for the lot of them..

Rescind those tainted "honours" and name and shame the odious group of self-entitled oxygen thieves.

Reactions: 5
the fact that a lot of people find an accent like rees mogg's desirable / a reflection of status is beyond me

I have a lot of respect for the way Theresa May has conducted herself the past couple of years. She returned to the back benches and has been very dignified.

I'm also liking the cut of Penny Mordaunt's jib ... and that's without including her sword holding skills!

• Heart
I have a lot of respect for the way Theresa May has conducted herself the past couple of years. She returned to the back benches and has been very dignified.

I'm also liking the cut of Penny Mordaunt's jib ... and that's without including her sword holding skills!
Theresa May had a very raw deal as PM..I'm glad she can plunge the sword into The Serial Liar now..and savour the experience.
---
I'd love to see a psychiatric report on him, goddamn frightening I imagine.
He's thick as mince as James says..Easy meat for Johnson..

He'd be great on Jackanory or in panto.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Totally agree. The way she dealt with George Osbourne was great too, another awful product of Eton.

Adding insult to injury is just how lame this all is. Breaking the rules to spend time with colleagues???

My colleagues are actually quite fun but if I was going to risk trouble it wouldn't be with them! 😆

I guess it speaks volumes of the comraderie needed and expected in politics. Most of us were happy for a break from colleagues while they thought it was worth ruining their reputation for Sally in HR.
They were probably breaking rules with everyone they knew.

They were probably breaking rules with everyone they knew.
Oh, definitely. But with the amount of parties that seemed to have happened - personally if I had a million opportunities to break lockdown rules I'd have used all one million chances on friends and family.

Totally agree. The way she dealt with George Osbourne was great too, another awful product of Eton.
Eton really is a failing school..Good for nothing other than enabling the appalling self-entitled behaviours of the vulgar monied classes. Only school where one can get an A Level in Braying.

Tw: suicide. Absolutely infuriating.

I know I keep harping on but I think it's puts it into perspective a bit. For most of us, our coworkers are some of the least important people in our lives, as a collective group of people anyway.

Yet, our government isolated us from the people we care about most, in what was a scary and distressing time for many, knowing this is what they were doing and/or endorsing behind closed doors.

It is so infuriating. My grandfather died in late March 2020 - it was recorded as a ‘viral pneumonia’ and we don’t actually know if he COVID or not. It was right when there were very real discussions in the media about who should not be treated if the NHS was to be overwhelmed, and whether over 60s should be treated and so on. The whole thing was a mess, he was taken to hospital but wasn’t tested because there weren’t enough tests, he was put on a temporary ward with confirmed cases and then he was moved to a stroke ward when he deteriorated and died shortly after. There wasn’t a funeral - luckily my mum knew the local vicar and she offered to do a short service at the graveside, but the guidance at the time was so unclear that nobody knew if the vicar and pallbearers counted as part of the number who could attend, so in the end it was just my mum, her partner and my uncle. The whole thing caused my mum a huge amount of distress - I live some distance away so couldn’t travel, so I was trying to do my best to support her whilst working utterly stupid hours in my civil service job.

I am beyond furious with Boris and all of his cronies. Certainly in my bit of the civil service, we are constantly reminded of the Nolan Principles and to consider how our actions might be perceived by the general public, irrespective of whether what we are doing is ‘allowed’. Everyone involved in this knew what they were doing was wrong, they knew how it would be perceived and they carried on anyway. What’s worse is that so many people have sat on this for years and covered it up. There were email invitations sent out, videos taken and god knows what else yet they’re being dribbled out at strategic moments rather than honestly shared. People get so angry with civil servants and I am genuinely distressed at how this reflects on me - honestly, most of us are trying to do our best in our jobs in spite of the Government, and not because of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The Government have blood on their hands which won't wash off no matter how much political sanitiser they attempt to apply.
They will have no shame...It was all a hoot.
Suicides as a direct result of the covid lockdown should be counted and publicised.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.