UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Totally agree. The way she dealt with George Osbourne was great too, another awful product of Eton.
I'm sorry, I agree with what everyone's said about Theresa May, but the thing I'm always going to remember her for now is her fantastic comic timing when she was telling the story about dropping the cheese at the Queen's picnic!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I'm sorry, I agree with what everyone's said about Theresa May, but the thing I'm always going to remember her for now is her fantastic comic timing when she was telling the story about dropping the cheese at the Queen's picnic!
That was funny and very unexpected. Who'd have thought she'd have had the funniest anecdote.

Reactions: 3
She always used to get slated for being robotic and socially awkward when she was PM...I think she's decent and the complete opposite to Johnson in terms of honesty and integrity. People I know who've met her were all very impressed and liked her as a person.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Theresa May; author of the 'hostile environment', the Windrush Scandal, 'Go Home" adverts, lies about the Human Rights Act, leader of the first government to be found in contempt of parliament, "citizens of nowhere" speech, disgraceful response to the Grenfell tragedy and at the time of her resignation arguably the worst Prime Minister of modern times. Still, I suppose compared to Johnson, Truss and Sunak she was 'decent'.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm lost with the parties now and haven't a scoobie who I'll vote for in the next elections.

Tories can't agree with each other and stitch each other up. They're like big kids throwing dummies out if they don't get their own way.

Labour are far too critical and love to say they'd do things differently, but can't explain how because they don't have a plan.

So I'll have to hope the Lib Dems can pull something out of the bag.

I want to see:

A clamp down on benefit fraud to enable those who should rightly receive it be paid more.

Increase pensions to allow the elderly to live normally, heat their homes and eat well.

Pay compensation to WASPIs.

Send home illegal immigrants, or take them to Rwanda. Let hotels return to accommodating guests. Put money saved from paying the migrants to better use, ie: pay nurses and police more.

Sort out the prison overcrowding and stop releasing prisoners early to free up space. Send foreigners home to finish their sentences.

Stop building on green belt. Demolish or upgrade derelict buildings.

Give help to farmers, financial and/or workers. Grow more British. Stop the price of food increasing.

Do you agree with any of this?

Reactions: 4
I think it's a case of same old, same old, nothing has changed. Or vote for someone else and see if they can changes things for the better.

I'm lost with the parties now and haven't a scoobie who I'll vote for in the next elections.

Tories can't agree with each other and stitch each other up. They're like big kids throwing dummies out if they don't get their own way.

Labour are far too critical and love to say they'd do things differently, but can't explain how because they don't have a plan.

I want to see:

A clamp down on benefit fraud to enable those who should rightly receive it be paid more.

Increase pensions to allow the elderly to live normally, heat their homes and eat well.

Send home illegal immigrants, or take them to Rwanda. Let hotels return to accommodating guests. Put money saved from paying the migrants to better use, ie: pay nurses and police more.

Sort out the prison overcrowding and stop releasing prisoners early to free up space. Send foreigners home to finish their sentences.

Give help to farmers, financial and/or workers. Grow more British. Stop the price of food increasing.

Weren’t you the one who thought Liz Truss would be a brilliant Prime Minister?
Fwiw, if you’re even thinking of going near the Lib Dem’s as an alternative, just remember their leader thinks that women can have a penis.
Benefit fraud -
  • 3.6% (£8.3 billion) of total benefit expenditure was overpaid due to fraud and error
  • 1.4% (£3.3 billion) of total benefit expenditure was underpaid due to fraud and error
  • the net loss to the Department for Work and Pensions, after accounting for recoveries, was 3.1% (£7.3 billion) of total benefit expenditure.

Relatively speaking this is a miniscule amount compared to losses from tax evasion/fraud. You don’t mention that so I’m guessing you’re OK with it.

The Rwanda policy is utterly inhumane. You do understand that it’s almost an exchange programme and that the UK will be accepting vulnerable refugees from Rwanda? Which begs the question, if it’s not safe enough for its own citizens how can it be safe for anyone else?

Almost all of the other issues are down to 13 years of Tory mismanagement, incompetence and BREXIT.

Reactions: 7

I want to see:

Based on most of the things on your list; benefit fraud, illegal immigrants, ending early release, planning controls, I think you should definitely continue to vote Tory. You might even consider Reform or Reclaim. I am sure you wouldn't be happy with what a Labour or Liberal Democrat government would want to deliver. Incidentally I think it is wrong to say that Labour don't have policies although it's a fashionable thing to say for people looking for an excuse to continue voting Tory (along with the ridiculous suggestion that a Labour government would be no different to what the Tories have been over the least 13 years). Also, Labour 'too critical' - WTF?

Reactions: 9
Thanks for your replies. I'm always interested to hear what others think of my suggestions, positive and negative.

Reactions: 1
Trying to pin down exactly what you want from a party is nigh on impossible, it's probably easier to just rank certain criteria in order of importance, for example my top 3 things (off the top of my head) for a party I wanted to vote for to focus on would be:

1. Education
2. Housing
3. Health

Environment, Law and Order, Immigration would be lower on my list of important issues. (I've probably missed something glaringly obvious)!

Theresa May; author of the 'hostile environment', the Windrush Scandal, 'Go Home" adverts, lies about the Human Rights Act, leader of the first government to be found in contempt of parliament, "citizens of nowhere" speech, disgraceful response to the Grenfell tragedy and at the time of her resignation arguably the worst Prime Minister of modern times. Still, I suppose compared to Johnson, Truss and Sunak she was 'decent'.

That is the sad thing, she was compared to them. At least she was part of a party I recognised. I have no idea who this Conservative party is now. I absolutely detest most of them. There's a couple of good ones still hanging on in there but they are few and far between.

May was a terrible Home Secretary and why she thought becoming the Prime Minister to implement Brexit was a good idea, I will never understand. That was a poisoned challis.

Reactions: 2
May was a terrible Home Secretary and why she thought becoming the Prime Minister to implement Brexit was a good idea, I will never understand. That was a poisoned challis.
TBH, there was no one with any more credibility than her.

Johnson had been knifed by Gove, whose behaviour turned off many MP's, Osbourne was damaged goods, Hammond didn't capture the interest, etc.

Not sure where to put this, but is anyone else getting sick to the back teeth of the blanket coverage of a missing sub? Christ, enough already.

Not sure where to put this, but is anyone else getting sick to the back teeth of the blanket coverage of a missing sub? Christ, enough already.
I suppose the media is cashing in on the morbid fascination angle? Race against time factor? The stuff of future documentaries/ films versus the drudgery of the cost of living crisis? No doubt Jimmy Carr will be incorporating a few jokes on this in his live shows..

I just wonder what bad news is busily being buried right now

Reactions: 3
Probably the dire economic forecast and interest rate hikes ,they said were improving 🤔

Yeah. It wasn't for scientific research and I am pretty sure they signed a waiver in case of death so I'm not sure why it's all over the news. There are terrible things going on the world over.

Hundreds of migrants died in Greece and yet didn't receive anywhere close to this coverage. Another boat capsized in Nigeria a week or so ago in which 108 people died, nothing in the news.

I could list a bunch of tragic stories from around the world that never get covered in the news, yet a few rich people in a sub going down to view the Titanic shipwreck and its headline news. Don't mean to sound harsh, it's sad of course, but the focus on it is just a but much.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I suppose the media is cashing in on the morbid fascination angle? Race against time factor? The stuff of future documentaries/ films versus the drudgery of the cost of living crisis? No doubt Jimmy Carr will be incorporating a few jokes on this in his live shows..
If you want to see want to visit a Titanic-like ship underwater, you can visit its sister-ship which was sunk off the coast of Greece, mostly intact and not as deep.
---
Guess my prediction was right lol View attachment 2257862
Am I now grateful of setting a 5 year deal at 1.24% in 2021 after a life time of 2 year deals? Hell yes!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.