UK Politics #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Latest from the census. I'm confused as to why so many reported a non-UK identity only. Does that mean a significant number of people living in E&W are anticipating a return home after a few years work or something? How many students do we have? Sorry if my questions are stupid lol. It just sounds so high.

How national identity varied across England and Wales

In 2021, in England:
  • 88.0% of usual residents (49.7 million) reported one or more UK identity only
  • 2.0% (1.2 million ) reported at least one UK and one non-UK identity
  • 10.0% (5.6 million) reported a non-UK identity only
In 2021, in Wales:
  • 94.6% of usual residents (2.9 million) reported one or more UK identity only
  • 1.2% (37,000) reported at least one UK and one non-UK identity
  • 4.2% (132,000) reported a non-UK identity only

Latest from the census. I'm confused as to why so many reported a non-UK identity only. Does that mean a significant number of people living in E&W are anticipating a return home after a few years work or something? How many students do we have? Sorry if my questions are stupid lol. It just sounds so high.

In 2021, in England:
In 2021, in Wales:
There could be any number of reasons, but being from the UK isn’t what it used to be. I wonder if it’s as simple as people using an Irish/European/Asian/African parent or grandparent in the hope of applying for a passport from their relative’s country so they don’t have the embarrassment of UK nationality and a UK passport.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
There could be any number of reasons, but being from the UK isn’t what it used to be. I wonder if it’s as simple as people using an Irish/European/Asian/African parent or grandparent in the hope of applying for a passport from their relative’s country so they don’t have the embarrassment of UK nationality and a UK passport.
Less than 1% of those born in the UK held a foreign passport only.

In 2021, in England:
In 2021, in Wales:
It costs £1,330 for an adult to apply for British citizenship by naturalisation plus £215 for the English B1 test and £50 for the 'Life In The UK' test. That might have something to do with it.

• Wow
Reactions: 6

In 2021, in England:
In 2021, in Wales:
I don't think it sounds high, cosidering the number of Irish, Polish, Indian and Pakistani nationals - amongst other European, North American, Caribbean and other nationalities - living and working in the UK, contributing to its diversity and broadening culture and knowledge. A large concentration live in and around London, and this has been the case for decades. My partner is from a European countey and would have been one of the non-UK 10% quoted above (for England) had they not gained UK cirizenship years ago (a nightmare of cost and effort, as @Moth mentioned above), so they're now in the dual-identity 2% figure.
(Edited to use England figures)

Reactions: 1
I don't think it sounds high, cosidering the number of Irish, Polish, Indian and Pakistani nationals - amongst other European, North American, Caribbean and other nationalities - living and working in the UK, contributing to its diversity and broadening culture and knowledge. A large concentration live in and around London, and this has been the case for decades. My partner is from a European countey and would have been one of the non-UK 10% quoted above (for England) had they not gained UK cirizenship years ago (a nightmare of cost and effort, as @Moth mentioned above), so they're now in the dual-identity 2% figure.
Yeah good point re London. I am semi-rural which probably influenced my perception, the demographic is likely different -people here have already settled.

I wonder if it might also be people who have permanent residency in the UK, but not citizenship, and so they identify primarily with their non-UK nationality/citizenship?

Reactions: 4
A lot of Europeans have left though, including people that had lived in Britain for many years.

Shows the state of the country when millionaires are upping and leaving:

View attachment 1769876
However much some detest those with money, the fact is they are responsible for paying the most into the system.

If they up and leave, the tax burden is then passed down to everyone else.

The UK has rising fixed costs every year, in order to function. Those that wish millionaires would just up and leave need to be careful what they wish for. Public services would suffer deep cuts as a result.

I have no issues with people who have money - as long as they pay their fair share (what is legally owed), don't tax avoid and don't rub other people's noses in it, regarding how much money they have.

Reactions: 8
I'm very surprised at this. I'd have thought Boris had bigger money making ideas to attend. he really wants to be Prime Minister again doesn't he?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
It's a certain type of person that enjoys being a politician, let alone the leader. You couldn't pay me to be a politician. Obviously it's some kind of ego trip for Johnson.

Reactions: 3
It's a certain type of person that enjoys being a politician, let alone the leader. You couldn't pay me to be a politician. Obviously it's some kind of ego trip for Johnson.
Watching Matt Hancock in I'm a Celeb was like watching an Attenborough documentary. He was just weird and strangely detached.

Reactions: 3
I'm very surprised at this. I'd have thought Boris had bigger money making ideas to attend. he really wants to be Prime Minister again doesn't he?

Bearing in mind the ( unbelievable ) number of women the revolting specimen manages to juggle, keeping his options open seems par for the course.
I can’t believe he’s run out of thick Americans willing to pay to listen to his nonsense and I’m even more surprised he’s even considering standing at the next election - unless the Tories are going to parachute him into an unloseable seat, if such a thing will exist by then.

Thing is, he could probably make more money writing tit books about Churchill and appearing on TV than he'd make as PM, so it's obviously not 100% about that.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.