UK Politics #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh agreed,I hope you don't think I think Raab is a good person. I don't.
Obviously I don't know him but he comes across as someone whose arrogance doesn't match his ability.

I was going to say ... what's happening with Mone? I'm sure it won't be the first time she's been stripped. (I'm here all week) :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
I know of someone who schooled with Raab and apparently he's a classic example of failing upwards. Incredibly stupid from what I hear.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I know of someone who schooled with Raab and apparently he's a classic example of failing upwards. Incredibly stupid from what I hear.
Well, this is the man who said he hadn't quite appreciated the importance of the Dover - Calais crossing...

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I see Tory MP and wannabe celeb Dehennah Davison is standing-down at the next election (she'd lose anyway). Part of the Red Wall and to my mind an opportunist. Remember she went on that reality TV show? Married a councillour 35 years older than herself (It may have been true love, who knows). Had been appearing on GB News :rolleyes: I wonder what she's got planned next? She's bi-sexual these days; probably a book deal in the works or will be on I'm a Celeb or something. Gawd Knows.

0-31260840.jpg

I see Tory MP and wannabe celeb Dehennah Davison is standing-down at the next election (she'd lose anyway). Part of the Red Wall and to my mind an opportunist. Remember she went on that reality TV show? Married a councillour 35 years older than herself (It may have been true love, who knows). Had been appearing on GB News :rolleyes: I wonder what she's got planned next? She's bi-sexual these days; probably a book deal in the works or will be on I'm a Celeb or something. Gawd Knows.

View attachment 1761410
This marriage lasted about a year, and she is now with a senior official from the Foreign Office.

In the last general election I voted Green, even though I am pro-nuclear power. I could be persuaded to vote Liberal even though I don't wear sandles with socks. What I am having trouble with is voting for Labour. For two reasons: (1) I am worried that the rabid Left-Wing 'Momentum mob' will hijack the party, (2) the anti-semitism. Allay my fears on these issues and I will vote Labour. One of the first things you learn if you study politics is that the Left always fracture ... if labour got power, how long would it take for the factionalism to begin, the in-fighting? I'm more Left than you, no I'm more Left than you, no I'm more left than you I read Das Kapital in one night ... basically, can Labour be trusted? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5
In the last general election I voted Green, even though I am pro-nuclear power. I could be persuaded to vote Liberal even though I don't wear sandles with socks. What I am having trouble with is voting for Labour. For two reasons: (1) I am worried that the rabid Left-Wing 'Momentum mob' will hijack the party, (2) the anti-semitism. Allay my fears on these issues and I will vote Labour. One of the first things you learn if you study politics is that the Left always fracture ... if labour got power, how long would it take for the factionalism to begin, the in-fighting? I'm more Left than you, no I'm more Left than you, no I'm more left than you I read Das Kapital in one night ... basically, can Labour be trusted? :rolleyes:
We need to get away from the establishment party mindset in this country.

Both Labour and the Conservatives cannot be trusted to run this country effectively.

When you only effectively have a two party system (as we have) they tend to take voters for granted. They tend to tell people what they want to hear when campaigning, but in reality the promises don't match up to what is delivered.

Although I don't agree with some Green party policies, well done for voting for someone different.

(2) the anti-semitism
And the anti-blackness and Islamaphobia... That's just as much of an issue but few people care.

Plus Starmer isn't giving us much choice. He might as well have been a candidate for Tory leader with some of the statements he's made, especially of late. It feels like he's still banking on being the safe replacement for Johnson but Sunak has taken that position after Truss failed.

Similar policies/mindset different figurehead.

I think talk about getting away from the current system and analysing the possible outcomes of a Labour government are a dead end. I take a much more pragmatic view. For the foreseeable future only the Conservatives or Labour are going to be able to form a government. They are the only options. Consider the underlying philosophies of both parties and choose. If you don't vote Labour (or vote tactically to beat the local Tory) you are potentially enabling another Tory government. If you are comfortable with that risk then fine. I am not.

I think that’s completely understandable.
I always vote Green in the local elections. I live in Islington, so my MP is Corbyn. I have voted for him - mostly because as an under the radar constituency MP he did a really good job. He should never have been anywhere near the leadership. I am a bit of a lefty snowflake, so I do think that many of Corbyn’s policies were good - but he lost me over Brexit.
I don’t think there’s much chance of Momentum making enough of a resurgence to take back over, although I suspect they may want to give it another try - particularly now that Labour seem to have come out against the recent strikes. I think there’s more chance of them inching further and further to the (centre) right - possibly as a ploy to attract Tories who haven’t embraced fascism.
Obviously the Islamophobia, anti semitism and racism is a huge issue that I still don’t think has been properly addressed. For me though, Labour’s willingness to arbitrarily embrace self ID is equally worrying.
And then there’s Brexit. I wish Starmer would stop saying Labour will make it work. They won’t. They can’t. It’s a disaster and completely unworkable.
Can Labour be trusted? I hope so. I’d trust them a damn sight more than the current government, although that’s an extremely low bar.

Reactions: 10
live in Islington, so my MP is Corbyn. I have voted for him - mostly because as an under the radar constituency MP he did a really good job. He should never have been anywhere near the leadership.
When Labour were told who their knew leader would be after Miliband I think the most surprised person in the Party was Corbyn! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3
When Labour were told who their knew leader would be after Miliband I think the most surprised person in the Party was Corbyn! :ROFLMAO:
He was good friends with the late Jeremy Hardy, who was touring not long after Corbyn was voted in and his gag on it was something like 'Jeremy thought he was about the 41st person most likely to get the Labour leadership...on a list of people called Jeremy.'

Reactions: 1
I think talk about getting away from the current system and analysing the possible outcomes of a Labour government are a dead end. I take a much more pragmatic view. For the foreseeable future only the Conservatives or Labour are going to be able to form a government. They are the only options. Consider the underlying philosophies of both parties and choose. If you don't vote Labour (or vote tactically to beat the local Tory) you are potentially enabling another Tory government. If you are comfortable with that risk then fine. I am not.
I mean, the current system doesn't allow for any other options than Tory or Labour so it doesn't mean I won't do all I can to keep preventing a Tory government! I think it's our duty to vote and we can't abstain then moan about the outcomes.

But as a black person I can still complain about Labour.

And that's the problem. Labour rests on its laurels. They know that no matter what they say or do, they'll be the more favourable option to anyone who isn't upper class, white or male.

That means they can get away with ignoring the woes of people from those groups and not really suffer. Labour takes votes from people like us for granted.

That's not fair and I think these grievances still need to be said and heard.

Even if we do vote Labour to avoid a Tory government, we don't need to pretend Starmer is some kind of saving grace.

And by speaking up, hopefully our concerns are addressed. I think that's fair.

• Heart
I mean, the current system doesn't allow for any other options than Tory or Labour so it doesn't mean I won't do all I can to keep preventing a Tory government! I think it's our duty to vote and we can't abstain then moan about the outcomes.

But as a black person I can still complain about Labour.

And that's the problem. Labour rests on its laurels. They know that no matter what they say or do, they'll be the more favourable option to anyone who isn't upper class, white or male.

That means they can get away with ignoring the woes of people from those groups and not really suffer. Labour takes votes from people like us for granted.

That's not fair and I think these grievances still need to be said and heard.

Even if we do vote Labour to avoid a Tory government, we don't need to pretend Starmer is some kind of saving grace.

And by speaking up, hopefully our concerns are addressed. I think that's fair.
You make some very fair points. I guess I just get frustrated by people who are apparently prepared to contemplate a try government because Labour don't fit their ideal (not saying that's you). I didn't like Corbyn in the 80s so I was less than pleased when he was elected leader but I'd still rather have any type of Labour government than any kind of Tory one.

You make some very fair points. I guess I just get frustrated by people who are apparently prepared to contemplate a try government because Labour don't fit their ideal (not saying that's you). I didn't like Corbyn in the 80s so I was less than pleased when he was elected leader but I'd still rather have any type of Labour government than any kind of Tory one.
Of course. Voting Tory means putting people's lives at risk.

But it is also frustrating that not voting Corbyn because of anti semitism is/was rightfully seen as a legitimate stance but not voting Starmer because of Islamaphobia/anti blackness is seen as being a hindrance/liability.

(Not you personally necessarily, but I've seen such comments on social media. That certain groups should vote a certain way.)

I don't think people should be guilt tripped into compromising their humanity or values.

But I personally vote against Tory (though I live(d) in such Labour strongholds it makes no difference unless the vote is that close) because I think a non Tory society is usually a kinder one.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.