Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
Happy mother’s day toddler mums 🤍 did we get anything nice? I got an M&S box of chocs, a yankee candle set, some pj’s and a teddy bear that apparently my son picked himself 😂 and Dad took me out for breakie which was really nice

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Is it not just a total waste of money and nappies. I don’t understand the thought process here. I’d rather change a wet sheet than buy nappies. I can’t wait for the day I don’t have to buy them 😑

Reactions: 7

PillowsofFluff

Chatty Member
My 3yo has picked up the phrase "what the hell" which I hadn't even realised we said :ROFLMAO: the way she says it is hilarious
Also, "bloody adverts" if an advert interrupts her watching Spider in the Bath on Youtube

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Jellybean093

VIP Member
Thanks guys, sorry it's not so much the still having a bottle that worries me, it's more that she keeps asking for milk after teeth even if she's already had plenty of milk. Which never used to happen.
I’ve also never been a stickler for brushing teeth at night time until they’ve stopped their bottle. Plz don’t tell my dentist. Thanks xo

• Haha
Soooo all week my fella has been dropping our boy off. He just walks in smiles gives him a kiss goodbye and wanders off to play

what do I get …. Clinging to my legs. Crying, hand out , hand wrapped round my finger won’t let go
were both heartbroken 😂😂

why does he do this to me😢😢

• Heart

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
Hello all! I haven’t posted in these threads for a while, my kid is 2 next month somehow, but I need to rant somewhere, so I apologise.

I quit my job last year as I wasn’t ready to return (they were dickheads and I’d rather spend my time with my son) and fortunately, my husband earns enough.

My toddler started nursery a couple days a week at 18 months, so I’ve been looking for a job since then, got to the final stages to a few of them but haven’t been successful. Anyway, I’ve been feeling really shit and borderline depressed about this, and I’ve had a few comments from people (men) that have made me feel even shitter.

Brother: ‘You not got a job yet?’ Me: ‘yeah, being a mother’ Brother: ‘Easiest job ever.’ 🤬

Dad: ‘You got a job yet?’ Me: ‘No.’ Dad: ‘Lazy sod.’ 🤬🤬

A dad who lives local: ‘Any luck on the job front, or are you just chilling?’ 🤬🤬🤬

What do I say back to these twats? Has really put in perspective how little people (men) think of mothers.
I was in a similar situation, my partners Uncle who see a lot is a proper judgemental dickhead. I was a sahm and he’d make comments about me just ‘relaxing at home’ ‘not paying my way in life’ bla bla bla. Asked me if I have a job yet everytime I seen him. I did get a job, I’m a healthcare assistant in a nursing home and when i told him i got a job he told me it weren’t a proper job 🤣 dunno how that works cos a job is a job but it tipped me over the edge cos i’m proud of my job and what i do so i told him to fuck off and mind his own business 🤣 he’s not said anything since. It may not be ideal to say exactly that but just stick up for yourself and say you are trying to do what is best for you and your child, and it’s non of their business. The right thing for you will come when it’s the right time. Good luck 🥰

• Heart

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
To be honest, I think we're damned if we do and damned if we don't with kids sometimes 🤷 My 5yo is going through the death obsession stage due to one of our neighbours sadly passing away just before Christmas. My partner and I weren't sure how to broach this especially as we don't believe in an afterlife. We kept everything as factual as we could, based on articles we found on the Cbeebies website. But we still worry about whether we said the wrong thing or not. He does ask questions about whether someone would die if they were hit by a car or if a plane crashed and I just reply very factual to say yes, that could result in someone dying then try to move the conversation onto something else.

I've also given the same child an absolute bollocking at the age of 3 when he took his shoes off in the car and threw them at my partner's head whilst he was driving. There's times to apply gentle parenting and then there's times where we have to be a little bit stricter. I wouldn't have an issue with absolutely drilling road safety into my child. My 2yo is horrendous on the school run and he's kept in the buggy now, much to his disgust. But he refuses to hold my hand on the walk so tough - in the buggy he goes.

• Heart

Definitelyme

VIP Member
My 3 year old is having my life at the minute, they are being do challenging . Running off is a big thing at the minute. Apparently he only runs off when I'm there . I feel like my husband should be telling him that running off for me isn't acceptable. Being out in public is a nightmare, I dread it sometimes.
It’s so frustrating when you know something is just done with you.
In this case I would say something like “it’s not safe to run off. If you won’t stay with me I’ll have to start strapping you in to the buggy” (which presumably he doesn’t use any more?) and follow through with that. The loss of freedom may help stop it.
Personally I don’t think at that age they really understand danger a lot, so keeping it simple is best.

WhatABore

VIP Member
i don’t know, maybe! When we went to Haven in April she was in pull ups and she was dry at night so if I compared the two I just seem to think it’s the excess fluids she’s having that are causing bed wetting. My friend just said to limit drinks from 4pm and make sure she goes for lots of wees between tea and bedtime 😫 she’s just woke up and her pull up is full to the brim of wee and the beds wet. I’m actually shocked at how much wee one child can produce 🤣
Maybe waking her up to pee during the night is a better idea than limiting drinks in a hot country?

LilyRose1234

VIP Member
Adults come in different shapes and sizes so why is it a shock when kids do too
Standards for everything seem to be higher for babies and children than adult - sleeping, eating, behaviour, weight - there are people who genuinely seem to expect them to be tiny robots that eat/sleep/behave better than adults. They’re kids ffs have a day off

Definitelyme

VIP Member
Really struggling with my 3.5 year old and her behaviour. It’s just the two of us at home and she attends nursery full time 4 days a week (and has done since she was 10 months).

She doesn’t listen to me. At all. It’s like I’m not in the room. Ignores everything I say. Lashes out if she can’t get her own way. A few moments ago she put a cat toy on my leg and the cat immediately jumped on my legs with his claws out, she does this all the time knowing what the cat will do. She throws things and hits me during these rages too. I don’t get where she’s learning it, I monitor her screen time, I tend to follow a gentle parenting style (where possible). I don’t know how to stop the meltdown/rage episodes once they start. It’s getting where I’m scared to take her anywhere through fear of it happening in public😭
That sounds really rough for you both. You seem to be blaming yourself, thinking it’s something you’ve done, but please don’t. You cannot stop a meltdown, and it’s not a time you can get through to a child. You just need to give her a safe space to ride it out. Tell her “I’m here if you need me” and stay close. If she’s lashing out “I won’t let you hurt me, I’ll be in the other room if you need me”.
I also don’t think it’s learned behaviour, from tv or anything. She is obviously having a tough time and just reacting in the way her wee brain tells her to.
It must be extra hard when you have no back up, and nobody to take over from you when things get really tough.

• Heart

I’mThankyou_

VIP Member
Whilst phrases mean one thing to us as adults, who can process and interpritate sentence structures and pick up on tone of voice, they mean something completely different to a child who's imagination drives 95% of their personality.

Words like this, or to this effect is why we now have adults riddled with anxiety, because topics such as these were broached exactly like this in the 80s/90s.

• Heart

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
Had a really hard day again. Apparently she was fine at preschool. Was fine in the morning but did push back on going there a bit. As soon as I picked her up she was on one. The emotional reactivity is so high and I can’t do anything right. She tells me to stop talking, if I do anything other than sit and breathe next to her it’s wrong. I’ve cried a lot once she was in bed. I just read about the limbic leap, is this a real thing?
My daughter is always smiling and happy at nursery and I’m constantly told she’s had a great day and then it starts as soon as in the car on the way home, the crying and whining. I think she holds in her big feelings all day and then explodes when she’s home in a safe place with me.

We’ve had a meltdown this morning because I told her we were going to her favourite class and then it was cancelled 😩 going to have to spend the morning at the park now instead 🙃

• Sad
I definitely wouldn’t say no. If she’s assessed and there is no evidence of ODD then at least you know there is nothing there and it’s just a few hours of your time. Or if they do find something to support ODD diagnosis, then you’ve got all the help at your disposal.
I am a teacher (although secondary level) and kids having a proper diagnosis of SEN just makes everyone’s life sooo much easier. It allows parents to access many resources very easily (or more easily is maybe the right way to say it) and allows teachers and schools access to resources as well. It also means that schools can provide the right care. We have kids coming through and the parent says “oh they have ADD or ADHD” but they won’t get a diagnosis and we can really do nothing with it.
Thank you. I was half expecting them to suggest it based on their feedback on how hard it is to get her to follow the rules there. I think I’m just feeling a bit worried about the next steps and don’t want to feel like I’m forcing a label on her. She’s always been strong willed and an “orchid” type of child. She needs a lot of nurturing which has been my privilege to provide. I guess it’s just scary now she’s going out into the world and not getting that understanding. Having a diagnosis will help with that, I’m just feeling a bit overwhelmed now it’s finally on the table.

• Heart

Jellybean093

VIP Member
shes 3 and 4 months but she’s been dry every night since September aside from the last 2 this week (we are abroad and I think she’s just in such a deep sleep she doesn’t wake up to go) and she wet the bed the other night at home but didn’t go for a wee.

I’ve only just stopped using pull up at night cos I just thought she’s been dry for SO long but then my friends little girl who’s 5 this year still wears one at night and she’s been dry for years, she just says she cba changing wet sheets if she had an accident.
Leaving a kid in nappies when they are dry because they can’t be bothered to change wet sheets is awful. There are mats you can put on a bed or even get a waterproof bed sheet
And if Mini A is having accidents while on holiday not wearing a pull up, chances are she’s not dry at night and has one wee a night

ETA - my 3 year old wet the bed 3 nights in a row last week. Not sure why, but as we had mats it was easy to change and stick a wash on. Never would I put him back in nappies

WhatABore

VIP Member
Hello. I have a friend who got a little girl who was a prem and is comng up to 3 years old. Her daughter weights 2 stone 4 lbs as of yesterday (she weight her every Saturday) friend is freaking out as thinking daughter is overweight everyone saying g oh she a heavy one isn't she. I bet your over feeding her (she isn't trust me the kid eats all fruit veg as good size meals as junk food on weekends) if people don't stop it's going to set her bulimia off. Her daughter is a solid child. As being from when started soilds. Plus the kid is strong she pulled her mum over who is strong herself and was a solid baby herself. I told her the kid is fine. Don't worry she a.toddler all under 4 year olds have extra weight on them but it drops when schools start. So can someone on here tell me she is panicking over nothing.
As @Definitelyme says, anyone commenting on a child's weight is a dick head in the first place.

My daughter is 5, she has always been 90th+ percentile.
97th and above is classed as "overweight".
She was also 99th for a long time.
She's now 5 and once they hit school age, height is also taken into consideration. But she's now 70th. Not because she's lost weight, but because height is now included.

She doesn't sound like she has any extra weight on her to "lose" as such anyway. She's very average!

I would also may advise your friend that weighing her every week won't be good for the child and can easily lead to the child also becoming obsessed with weight ❤

Definitelyme

VIP Member
This is what I thought but when I had the meeting they said it’s not normal. I suppose as part of the bigger picture it points more to neurodivergence than usual meltdowns.
Oh they were very, very wrong! Sure even myself I’m all happy smiley lovely colleague at work all day. I get home and I’m so grumpy 🤣

WhatABore

VIP Member
2 year old has started saying "OOO IS IT?!"
Every time she hears the front door open or someone knock 😂

Amazes me that she could only say 2 or 3 words at 18 months but now she says all sorts!

She's currently banging the xylophone saying "Good tune" 😂

• Haha
  • Heart