Things that you are sick of seeing on social media #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Instead of sending Christmas cards this year, I'm donating to charity". Can you not do it quietly?

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I do believe that cultural appropriation is a real thing and an issue but some of the gate keeping on things that are deemed to belong only to POC is a bit much. For instance these are replies to an instagrammer who said she used a silk bonnet, like her Italian grandmother, to help with frizz etc at night. These comments started appearing saying she must delete this post and going on at white people for taking over things that belong to POCs.
My very white grandmother and great grandmother both used silk bonnets, it’s an old fashioned way to keep your hair looking good overnight?
B1BD9B8B-8519-48C6-AE82-6D233B3DC541.jpeg

Reactions: 12
I do believe that cultural appropriation is a real thing and an issue but some of the gate keeping on things that are deemed to belong only to POC is a bit much. For instance these are replies to an instagrammer who said she used a silk bonnet, like her Italian grandmother, to help with frizz etc at night. These comments started appearing saying she must delete this post and going on at white people for taking over things that belong to POCs.
My very white grandmother and great grandmother both used silk bonnets, it’s an old fashioned way to keep your hair looking good overnight?
View attachment 925361
Agreed. Satin and silk bonnets are what was used by so many before hot tools and smoothing shampoos and conditioners were a thing. Just think of all the old films where the women would go to bed with rags and ribbons and rollers and satin tied around it all to keep the heatless hairdo's in place overnight. I too think cultural appropriation is a serious issue but not everything is cultural appropriation. Sometimes the social media police cause more of a divide by overly policing everything everyone does, I'm sure that influencer was only trying to reduce frizz in a thrifty and harmless way and now they are being chastised and accused of appropriation.

Reactions: 16
Agreed. Satin and silk bonnets are what was used by so many before hot tools and smoothing shampoos and conditioners were a thing. Just think of all the old films where the women would go to bed with rags and ribbons and rollers and satin tied around it all to keep the heatless hairdo's in place overnight. I too think cultural appropriation is a serious issue but not everything is cultural appropriation. Sometimes the social media police cause more of a divide by overly policing everything everyone does, I'm sure that influencer was only trying to reduce frizz in a thrifty and harmless way and now they are being chastised and accused of appropriation.
It’s such a dumb take too, like I have curly hair and if I want it to look good for more than one day I have to wear a satin or silk bonnet to stop it frizzing and getting knotted at night.
Speaking of curly hair, I’ve also had people telling me that wearing my hair in its natural curly state is cultural appropriation. It’s completely ridiculous.
I’ve also noticed that most of the cultural appropriation police are white in the first place?

Reactions: 15
This cultural appropriation thing. I remember watching a video of a man walking round a campus in a sombrero. Everyone was horrified. Later on in the video it transpired he bought it from a Mexican market and they loved the fact he was wearing it. I mean there obviously is a line that must never be crossed (black face for example. Justin looking at you). But everyone screaming ‘cultural appropriation’ is just going too far. I thought the whole point was to learn about other cultures and embrace them?

Reactions: 11
People who post a semi-viral tweet about something frivolous and then turn it into a thread with links to every single charity cause known to man.

Nobody is donating to “Save the one-armed colourblind lesbian escapees of the North Korean regime” or “Plant more trees in Dundee” because you posted a mildly amusing tweet about watching Netflix or eating bacon. Bore off.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
It’s such a dumb take too, like I have curly hair and if I want it to look good for more than one day I have to wear a satin or silk bonnet to stop it frizzing and getting knotted at night.
Speaking of curly hair, I’ve also had people telling me that wearing my hair in its natural curly state is cultural appropriation. It’s completely ridiculous.
I’ve also noticed that most of the cultural appropriation police are white in the first place?

Me too! Cultural appropriation? Nope, this is just what my hair does all by itself.

Reactions: 4
People who post bizarre things on FB groups. Like this, just seen on my town’s (30k members) page.

Thank you so very much to Dr X of YZ Medical Centre who dealt with my mother in law’s water infection speedily and prescribed antibiotics today. You are a star, as are all your team

FFS 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 19
People romanticising toxic relationships (tv/movie) because they are conventionally attractive and therefore it's okay to "stan" them. o_O

Reactions: 6
Self-indulgently telling people on Instagram how much the vaccination centre staff appreciated the box of biscuits you bought them.

Then arguably even worse, someone screenshotting that post and saying 'we should all be doing this'

Just be a nice human without posting about it on Instagram!

Reactions: 18
People who post bizarre things on FB groups. Like this, just seen on my town’s (30k members) page.

Thank you so very much to Dr X of YZ Medical Centre who dealt with my mother in law’s water infection speedily and prescribed antibiotics today. You are a star, as are all your team

FFS 🤣
Maybe the MIL is an absolute weapon and this is passive aggressive genius 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Set-up 'social experiments' i.e., being loudly racist or homophobic to see which of the general public might intervene. Also, any 'prank' which involves scaring strangers. Actually, anything which involves unwitting members of the public. Just let people get on with their day uninterrupted!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Set-up 'social experiments' i.e., being loudly racist or homophobic to see which of the general public might intervene. Also, any 'prank' which involves scaring strangers. Actually, anything which involves unwitting members of the public. Just let people get on with their day uninterrupted!
I also despise those videos of people filming themselves giving money/food to a homeless person. Do something nice without exploiting a vulnerable person for likes on the internet.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I also despise those videos of people filming themselves giving money/food to a homeless person. Do something nice without exploiting a vulnerable person for likes on the internet.
YES! They make me itch.

"Instead of sending Christmas cards this year, I'm donating to charity". Can you not do it quietly?
Can't they just buy charity Christmas cards?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

I hate that, people filming themselves doing something nice or telling everyone about it. Because they're not doing it to be kind, they're doing it for attention and some easy virtue signalling. Look at how kind I am!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Agree re cultural appropriation. I once saw someone post that she browsed sites like Etsy to see if white women were selling traditional Chinese clothing (qipao, hanfu etc.) and if they were, she would message them to say that they shouldn't be profiting from this and ask that they give her the clothes or donate them to the Chinese community. I'm from a Chinese family and have to say: who the hell are you to do that? You don't even know where the seller got that item - could have been passed down in their family or given to them by a Chinese person etc. My mixed race cousin is often assumed by others to be white as she has fair skin and dyed blonde hair, etc. If someone randomly messaged her and said she was "appropriating" her own culture I would be pissed off!

Sick of seeing people who are not scientists or healthcare professionals talking about COVID "peaks" and "waves" on social media as if they are experts

Reactions: 8
I got shouted at by a group of young folk on the tube once for wearing a baseball cap, they ripped into me saying I was disrespecting their culture.

It was a proper scooby doo moment like 'huh?' followed by head scratch

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.