Things that you are sick of seeing on social media #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In the previous thread, someone posted about people using the term "thought leader" on LinkedIn or in CVs. Well, it also made its way into job descriptions apparently. A large UK company I'm interviewing for included the following sentence in the job description attached to the case study: "You are a thought leader capable of winning over executives". I saw this today as I didn't pay attention at first, but it was the very last line on the page. I don't know what to make of this. To be honest, what is even a "thought leader"? This term makes no sense. I'm not enough of an egomaniac to think I can be a "thought leader". These terms created by armchair career coaches the same way those con artists tell you one can invest £1 and earn £10K from it without doing anything.
That was me. I was moaning about it on the thread about words/phrases that need banning.

Get ready for some word salad...

Thought leader is the expression of ideas that demonstrate you have expertise in a particular field, area, or topic. ... In short, the definition of thought leadership is innovative thinking full of insight and information.
🙄

Reactions: 1
When people post (usually on Facebook) like "right I'm off to bed" no one cares? Just turn your phone off and go to sleep? Why are you announcing your departure?
Or people who write
‘House cleaned from top to bottom
Dinner is prepped and on
Uniforms all washed and ironed!!!’
Honestly I cringe so hard at these kinds of statues
It’s not ‘dear bleeping diary!!’
Jeeeezzz

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Or people who write
‘House cleaned from top to bottom
Dinner is prepped and on
Uniforms all washed and ironed!!!’
Honestly I cringe so hard at these kinds of statues
It’s not ‘dear bleeping diary!!’
Jeeeezzz
I’m on the FB but not use it much but stayed because all the useful groups. Anyway a lady I know posts daily photos of her cooked dinner, her children’s achievements, spelling tests, maths work, club’s achievements. I know we all have a proud moment but seeing her daughters school work? Your dinner? I genuinely don’t get it.

Reactions: 11
A few people I know have recently become coaches/guides/mentors to help women become their best selves. Insta profiles, hundreds of crappy affirmation type quotes, filtered selfies of them smiling.
Usually involves a retreat or online course which yep you’ve guessed it, is extortionate.
They’ve done duck all in terms of qualification for this unless you count some unaccredited hour-long online bollocks.
boils my blood. Not only because they’re charlatans but whoever they get signing up may have a need for actual counselling and support and they’ll just be given empty bullshit as advice.
It’s infuriating and worrying. My sister worked so hard for her professional psychologist qualifications and we keep seeing these charlatans all over the place. Trauma and any kind of mental issues need to be worked on with a qualified professional, not Mandy from down the road who’s now a “relationship coach” because she’s managed to stay in one for a year. It’s actually so dangerous and damaging.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It’s infuriating and worrying. My sister worked so hard for her professional psychologist qualifications and we keep seeing these charlatans all over the place. Trauma and any kind of mental issues need to be worked on with a qualified professional, not Mandy from down the road who’s now a “relationship coach” because she’s managed to stay in one for a year. It’s actually so dangerous and damaging.

I feel the same about psychics that communicate with the dead. I’m all for people believing what they want and if it brings people comfort then who am I to say anything but it feels very much like they are preying on vulnerable people

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Pictures of a manicure (one hand only), with the person's sleeve pulled halfway over the hand. It's always an item of knitwear too. Drives me mad 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I know it’s probably an unpopular opinion but I can’t stand serious selfies, I get it if you want a picture with your friend and you’re being goofy and daft or your kids but being that self absorbed that you sit there for half an hour doing different angles on your own, I just find it ridiculous.

I took a few in my younger days (hypocrite I know) but I’d be embarrassed of myself now.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I know it’s probably an unpopular opinion but I can’t stand serious selfies, I get it if you want a picture with your friend and you’re being goofy and daft or your kids but being that self absorbed that you sit there for half an hour doing different angles on your own, I just find it ridiculous.

I took a few in my younger days (hypocrite I know) but I’d be embarrassed of myself now.
Or taking 17 photos of your dinner before you eat it. Just enjoy it while it’s hot because no one else cares what your dinner looks like!

Reactions: 8
Or taking 17 photos of your dinner before you eat it. Just enjoy it while it’s hot because no one else cares what your dinner looks like!
Or posting videos at concerts, nobody gives a duck just put your phone away and enjoy it 😂

Reactions: 12
People who post nothing but their medical problems. No, I don't care that this is your first run after a heart operation.

Which leads me to - people on benefits groups, list their medical conditions and the amount of medication they take and either ask if they can get benefits or asking why they've been turned down.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
People who post nothing but their medical problems. No, I don't care this isyour first run after a heart operation.

Which leads me to - people on benefits groups, liet their medical conditions and the amount of medication they take and either ask if they can get benefits or asking why they've been turned down.
yes. especially when they bang on about the pain they're in. usually something like this:

Monday: struggling to get out of bed today in so much pain
Tuesday: so much pain again today, will ring the doctors tomorrow
Wednesday: Rung doctors, got ignored and told there's nothing they can do! Wish they'd do something about my pain. What are taxes for?!
Thursday: Run out of pain so duck knows what I'm going to do tonight
Early hours Friday morning: Can't sleep cause of this pain.
Friday: Early night and pain for me. Off to town tomorrow with the family. Hope I'm okay for it. Will have to dose up on so many pain in the morning that I will probably rattle while I walk
Saturday: Fab day with the family in town, walked miles and miles and bought a ton of crap. Spent my benefits on bingo and got pissed.
Sunday: Yesterday was fab but I'm in agony today. Taking 4 pain already and it's only lunchtime.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Which leads me to - people on benefits groups, list their medical conditions and the amount of medication they take and either ask if they can get benefits or asking why they've been turned down.
OMG, a family member added me to a DLA group (my child’s is up for renewal soon) and every single post was a laundry list of developmental delays and high care needs… followed by “Will I get DLA? I’m worried they’ll say this is normal for their age 😭”.

I was like, are you nuts? Of course you’ll get DLA! Made me wonder whether the group was more of a pissing contest/venting opportunity than an actual source of advice. Anyway, I muted it fast.

Reactions: 7
People who post nothing but their medical problems. No, I don't care that this is your first run after a heart operation.

There's this woman on IG with a bit of a following who never misses an opportunity to mention how she has 6 (or something) neurological diseases and chronic disease and the most complex and rarest form of one of them that the Doctors ever saw (she is also apparently a (wannabe) model, life coach, opera singer, Harvard graduate in 1 post / had to pull out as she was so ill in another post etc etc. but that's another story) It's like it's a pissing contest with who can be the sickest. Is it supposed to impress people?

Reactions: 2
There's this woman on IG with a bit of a following who never misses an opportunity to mention how she has 6 (or something) neurological diseases and chronic disease and the most complex and rarest form of one of them that the Doctors ever saw (she is also apparently a (wannabe) model, life coach, opera singer, Harvard graduate in 1 post / had to pull out as she was so ill in another post etc etc. but that's another story) It's like it's a pissing contest with who can be the sickest. Is it supposed to impress people?
Munchausens by Internet.

Does she call herself a chronic illness warrior? Does she have EDS, POTS and gastroparesis? These women (always women) are fakers and malingerers.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Munchausens by Internet.

Does she call herself a chronic illness warrior? Does she have EDS, POTS and gastroparesis? These women (always women) are fakers and malingerers.
I thought it was that. She posts every day and replies to all comments so I think it must be a validation seek thing. And yes, does refer to herself as a chronic illness warrior / disability advocate etc. I don't know what those acronyms are but I'm sure she has those too!

yes. especially when they bang on about the pain they're in. usually something like this:

Monday: struggling to get out of bed today in so much pain
Tuesday: so much pain again today, will ring the doctors tomorrow
Wednesday: Rung doctors, got ignored and told there's nothing they can do! Wish they'd do something about my pain. What are taxes for?!
Thursday: Run out of pain so duck knows what I'm going to do tonight
Early hours Friday morning: Can't sleep cause of this pain.
Friday: Early night and pain for me. Off to town tomorrow with the family. Hope I'm okay for it. Will have to dose up on so many pain in the morning that I will probably rattle while I walk
Saturday: Fab day with the family in town, walked miles and miles and bought a ton of crap. Spent my benefits on bingo and got pissed.
Sunday: Yesterday was fab but I'm in agony today. Taking 4 pain already and it's only lunchtime.
I do have sympathy for people living with chronic pain, however, I have also seen family friends using Facebook as a personal journal exactly like your example above. It's too much.

Reactions: 10
Not so much something I'm sick of seeing as it's one a one off but made me laugh how weird some people are, I saw a post of a memory saying something like "can't believe this time last year we found out we're having a girl and now we have a gorgeous 8 month old" yeah thats usually how it works 🤣
(BTW if my maths is wrong I'm sorry, I couldn't remember that exact words so had to improvise and try work it out but you get the point 😅)

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Instahuns coming up on my Instagram explore page that literally ALL LOOK THE SAME. Blonde hair, huge lips, filtered skin, chiselled jawline, eyelashes that could take a man parachuting, skinny waist, huge boobs, veneers, so much tan they have changed race.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.