Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Forgot to mention I was once convinced and scared that there were tigers and panthers lose in the woods. Our house used to back on to this huge field and the woods could be seen from my bedroom window. Me and my sister used to walk our neighbours dog to help her out and one time we came accross a dead fox, she starts telling me that a lion had escaped from the circus and was on the prowl. Cow! I was perhaps around 8 and she was 13 😅
Them woods near my house always creeped me out. Rumours of devil worshippers, tigers and wolves on the prowl and then when Blaire Witch came on film4 well that just finished me off completely!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
the universal logo/music. I used to sit so close to the television that it was so loud, it scared me. I hate loud noises even now.

the BBC logo/music, it used to play before VHS/DVDs (I think I saw it on a teletubbies video and a Doctor Who dvd as a kid) it had a really low, ominous sounding sort of note, it was terrifying like it was out of a horror movie - it always made me squirm. Still does now!

Reactions: 4
My sister once told me of the "nightmare people", basically if you thought about them at all they would come and take you in your sleep. No wonder I had night terrors.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
the BBC logo/music, it used to play before VHS/DVDs (I think I saw it on a teletubbies video and a Doctor Who dvd as a kid) it had a really low, ominous sounding sort of note, it was terrifying like it was out of a horror movie - it always made me squirm. Still does now!
Was it this? Yeah it’s a bit weird to have that dramatic music before the joyful Brum or Mr Blobby.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
DH fear was Pinhead. Even now aged 40 he is still creeped out by him. State of it though....

Sounds like someones going to say "Good evening and welcome to another episode of creepy haunted houses"
Have you ever seen the film? It’s the one horror my mum said was scary (usually that accolade goes to The Exorcist, or maybe it was more disturbing).

Reactions: 1
I love Hellraiser but I have the worst Cenobite dreams ever!!! They always creep me out.

I mentioned this in a phobias post previously. Escalators were horrendous things to me. I was in M&S as a small child, when a woman blocked the top while talking to a friend. There was no way off and I have dyspraxia (poor balance and coordination) so fell back to the bottom. Even now they can give me panic attacks if going on them.

I was also briefly scared of the bus. There was a warning on my local bus company warning people not to try unscrew them, with an image of someone sinking down. So I had nightmares of people disappearing on the bus from this to some strange underworld.

The worst television/movie was 'Garfield in Disguise' aka 'Garfield at Halloween', which was a Uc certificate (especially for young children). Sorry but this guy in it freaked me out more than anything else. We had it on VHS, and my brothers liked to put it on as knew how upset it make me!
garfieldhalloween-09.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I was also scared shitless of Flat Eric when I was little. I went past a van once which had a toy of it stuck to the window and for some reason it frightened the life out of me 😂

I forgot about it completely until a few years ago when I saw a picture of it and it was like a repressed traumatic memory coming back!

• Haha
I wonder if anyone knows a name for this. I think it may have been an advert but I was terrified of it as a kid.
Must have been mid to late 90s.

It was a man with chicken legs sat on an armchair flying around in space. That's all I can really remember, I think it was an advert but I was terrified of it. If anyone knows a name I'd love to know!

Wind turbines...... there’s a row of about 10 not far from where I live, they really freak me out, luckily I don’t have to drive past them but when I do I’m scared stiff! Even thinking about them gives me the heeby jeebies 😩
Oh no. Sack that! Id be moving 😂
Luckily there's none particularly close to where I live thankfully! Its not often I see them but when i do I just feel so uneasy!

• Haha
I’m not actually scared of clowns now for some reason, but when I was young my family member had a clown statue quite sizable not small and it played a saxophone and it freaked the hell out of me for some reason, when I went round to stay i was adamant It used to make me have bad dreams aswell so I would complain about it 🤣

Ouija Boards...
When I was 13, I stayed overnight at my friends house, her parents were out, and her older sister was supposed to be looking after us. We were all watching tv, when the older sister’s friend arrived with a “board game” for us to play.
I had never heard of a Ouija Board, so didn’t know what to expect.
The really weird thing was, after each spirit has answered the questions, you are supposed to say goodbye, but there was this one spirit that came through and I remember feeling really scared. And when we said goodbye to it, this mirror on the wall smashed, (it was one of those old coca-cola mirrors with a women’s face on it)....And when the mirror smashed- the only bit that was left intact, were the woman’s eyes..
I have never played a Ouija since...😱😱😱

• Wow