Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I might be making this up or reliving a nightmare but I'm sure there was an advert warning women to be careful when ironing 🀣 and at the end was a closeup of a 'dead' doll on the floor with a singed, bashed-in head 😱

Was it 'stay' by Shakespears sister? It messed me up as a youngster πŸ˜‚ not helped by mum who said 'that's what the devil looks like' wtf mum
Guarantee it was this one. Scared me shitless too. I mentioned it on my reply earlier in this thread. The woman looks absolutely possessed.

Reactions: 3
The test card girl/clown used to scare the tit out of me when I was little. I remember getting up early and going downstairs to watch tv before anyone else was up, and switching it onto that and being so frightened by it.

Even now it creeps me out πŸ˜‚

Reactions: 5
The test card girl/clown used to scare the tit out of me when I was little. I remember getting up early and going downstairs to watch tv before anyone else was up, and switching it onto that and being so frightened by it.

Even now it creeps me out πŸ˜‚
I just googled this out of curiosity and it’s fully shat me up - as someone who has always hated clowns I should’ve known better πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Reactions: 4
I might be making this up or reliving a nightmare but I'm sure there was an advert warning women to be careful when ironing 🀣 and at the end was a closeup of a 'dead' doll on the floor with a singed, bashed-in head 😱

Was it 'stay' by Shakespears sister? It messed me up as a youngster πŸ˜‚ not helped by mum who said 'that's what the devil looks like' wtf mum
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ be careful when ironing, you may unexpectedly start attacking dolls!
I thought initially you meant the doll was supposed to be the woman who turned on herself with the iron πŸ˜‚

That video creeps me out, one of my friends knows it & regularly sends me snapchats of it πŸ˜‚ when I was little I used to think the man actually fancied the scary woman because she had long hair πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I remember this! Absolutely terrifying.

Reactions: 2
The Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Sinking sand

Killer bees

That I might just be in someone's dream, not a real person

Nuclear War (I'm old and grew up in the Cold War era)

No, it definitely wasn't Shakespears Sister 'Stay'. I can't even remember the lyrics or the tune itself but it was definitely pop and upbeat, I think it had a disco vibe to it.

Or maybe Betty Boo as she had a bob and also did psychedelic stuff
Thank you for the suggestion. I've had a look at some of Betty Boo's videos and nothing is ringing a bell but I can confirm whatever this video was had a similar vibe to it.

Last edited:
The advert when a boy climbs a pylon to get his football and gets electrocuted. I was terrified of pylons for years as a child!
I am still terrified of pylons and will never ever forget when we had to watch that advert at school..awful but I suppose it did the trick!!

Abe used to freak me out so much!

I also have a strong dislike for wind turbines... so creepy
Wind turbines...... there’s a row of about 10 not far from where I live, they really freak me out, luckily I don’t have to drive past them but when I do I’m scared stiff! Even thinking about them gives me the heeby jeebies 😩

Salem's Lot ,the part where he's knocking on the window :eek: even now when the birds are pecking at the window i don't look out😬
i was tit scared of the bald vampire in that..i used to do an early morning paper round as a teen...(back in the days when there was loose adverts for Britannia music / videos inside it)...one of them fell out of a paper i was delivering on pitch black winter morning and Salems lot was the featured video on the front with that awful vampires face enlarged on it ...i t scared tit out if me !

• Haha
i was tit scared of the bald vampire in that..i used to do an early morning paper round as a teen...(back in the days when there was loose adverts for Britannia music / videos inside it)...one of them fell out of a paper i was delivering on pitch black winter morning and Salems lot was the featured video on the front with that awful vampires face enlarged on it ...i t scared tit out if me !
Yeah it's a creepy show ,even yet he'd give you a good scare πŸ§›β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚ the knocking on the window freaked me out 😬

Reactions: 1
The Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Sinking sand

Killer bees

That I might just be in someone's dream, not a real person

Nuclear War (I'm old and grew up in the Cold War era)
I totally still sometimes think, am I a real person, or just a dream?! Genuinely blows my mind!!

Reactions: 1
I totally still sometimes think, am I a real person, or just a dream?! Genuinely blows my mind!!
I know, right? How can we ever be 100% absolutely certain? My husband thinks it is weird that I still ponder the idea but...

I was scared of dogs used to climb up my dad if we saw one thought it was gonna get me (I’m not now) πŸ˜‚ and I was scared of leaving my mom when I went to nursery/ primary school was really attached to her 😭 so cried every morning

• Sad
The Wizard of Oz 2: Return to Oz - the whole of that film is terrifying. Heads on the wall, the wheeler things, etc 😩😩

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Psychomania! This Gang turned into something that resembled Stonehenge (Altnough this was a fair few decades ago). I was traumatised for years!

076A35F0-CE1E-4D33-8F35-295E0E14FCD8.jpeg

• Wow