Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Salem's Lot ,the part where he's knocking on the window :eek: even now when the birds are pecking at the window i don't look out😬

Reactions: 5
My parents rented "I know what you did last summer" from blockbuster, I must have been about 7 or 8. For some reason they let me stay up to watch it. It absolutely terrified me and for about 5 years afterwards I would run up the stairs as fast as I could if it was dark incase he was there to get me. I am still to this day scared of the dark and will not sit in a house in the dark with the lights on and no blinds or curtains drawn. Scarred for life.
Watching it nowadays I can see it was utter trash but the damage is done 🤦‍♀️🤣

Reactions: 1
An episode of a long lost CITV British mini-series, titled The Frighteners. The episode was set in Victorian times I believe and centered on a little girl finding fairies at the bottom of her garden. Gradually, the fairies turned evil and the episode ended with the fairy's distorted face superimposed onto the mother (I think!) laughing maniacally. This episode aired in 1997. To this day, I have never been able to find it again, at the time I remember being extremely freaked out!!
I'm now wondering if this was the same series that had another episode that really freaked me out. I only have vague memories.
A girl was in her room & a boy kept coming in through her window, they became friendly but something sinister happened. At the end the roles were reversed & it was the boy (except younger) playing in the room but the girl came in through the window & it turned out she was his sister who died. You knew she was going to do something to him.

Reactions: 1
Oh and the jeepers creepers man. Still to this day I hate driving at night just incase he ends up on top of the car 🙈

Reactions: 6
This must be the same thing that creeped me out. I cant remember the ending with the face but I remember the fairies were hungry and they bit the girl, she had to feed them sausages. I spent about a week planning how I would have to deal with said fairies if I ever came across them 😂
I remember the fairies biting the girl too!! It took me years to identify what the show was, I had thought for years it was an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark as I watched that around the same time. It was only a 4 part anthology series. I’d be so curious to see it again but at the same time a little scared 😂

Reactions: 2
Oh and the jeepers creepers man. Still to this day I hate driving at night just incase he ends up on top of the car 🙈
Oh god how could I forget Jeepers Creepers. Even the music. Jesus that was horrific. I am never letting my children watch horrors 🙈

Reactions: 3
I remember the fairies biting the girl too!! It took me years to identify what the show was, I had thought for years it was an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark as I watched that around the same time. It was only a 4 part anthology series. I’d be so curious to see it again but at the same time a little scared 😂
I was horrified when she got bit, was totally fooled into thinking all fairies were good 😂! Thanks so much for writing this. Recently I spent ages trying to remember what it was called & I was scrolling through lists. It was definitely on Citv. The other episode came into my head & I think the concept of it is more scary as an adult than it was back then.

Just tracked down a 70s kids series that scared the crap out of me. Called ‘Escape into Night’ about a bed-ridden girl and everything she draws becomes real at night. Truly terrifying!!

• Wow
I'm a 42 year old man with a black belt in tae kwon do.
I go weightlifting at the gym and have a house/job (grown up tit, you know).

Remember the cartoon Captain Caveman?

There is an episode set in a film studio with a "masked phantom" which TERRIFIED me as a child- I remember hiding behind a chair trying to watch it (even though I was a huuge Scooby Doo fan and had no issues with that cartoon).
"MP" wasn't even scare, just a guy in a mask and coat.

Managed to find the video on YT a couple of years ago. Thought duck it- I'm old enough to watch it.
Stopped the video after 20 seconds as I was still too scared to watch the thing. I was about 40 at the time.

These things stay with you!!!

(Also Ghostwatch on BBC1 shared me SHITLESS as a young teenager!)

• Haha
I was horrified when she got bit, was totally fooled into thinking all fairies were good 😂! Thanks so much for writing this. Recently I spent ages trying to remember what it was called & I was scrolling through lists. It was definitely on Citv. The other episode came into my head & I think the concept of it is more scary as an adult than it was back then.
No problem at all. I'm just glad that other people remember it too! I hope someone out there recorded it at the time and uploads it to YouTube.

Reactions: 3
Sleeping in the dark. I still dont like it much but can arrange my own chink of light now I am a big girl !

Reactions: 4
OMG someone else who remembers that game! The gatekeeper 😂 Xmas 1992/3 memories.My memories of that are him saying ‘bring me the old one’ and the oldest person playing had to come close to the TV screen and the gatekeeper’s face would decompose or something
‘Hello maggots!’ I loved this game!

OMG someone else who remembers that game! The gatekeeper 😂 Xmas 1992/3 memories.My memories of that are him saying ‘bring me the old one’ and the oldest person playing had to come close to the TV screen and the gatekeeper’s face would decompose or something
Was that were you had to stare him out? All i remember was him calling you little maggot all the way through and slowly aging as the game progressed.

I was terrifed of Jaws(or George as i called it) more so the music. My sister would play the theme when i was in the bath and id freak out. Also wave machines at the swimming pool definitely had sharks in it.
Hated Freddy Kruger, my uncle had a big poster on his door hewould have to cover up if i went round.
I was and still am terrifed of crabs and dark water, I hated dark slides too.
Does anyone remember the Chiller tv show? That was horrendous.

• Heart
When I was in primary school the fire brigade told us that sometimes people can put fireworks through your letter box.. our front door was the only way out unless we jumped out the window, every year I would be terrified that someone would do it, I made my dad tape up the letter box

I might be making this up or reliving a nightmare but I'm sure there was an advert warning women to be careful when ironing 🤣 and at the end was a closeup of a 'dead' doll on the floor with a singed, bashed-in head 😱

An episode of a long lost CITV British mini-series, titled The Frighteners. The episode was set in Victorian times I believe and centered on a little girl finding fairies at the bottom of her garden. Gradually, the fairies turned evil and the episode ended with the fairy's distorted face superimposed onto the mother (I think!) laughing maniacally. This episode aired in 1997. To this day, I have never been able to find it again, at the time I remember being extremely freaked out!!

The Witches film based on Roald Dahl's novel. We ended up watching it in primary school around Christmas time, where we watched videos as a treat before end of term. It freaked so many kids out, parents complained and it resulted in us being unable to watch PG rated films without parental consent from then on. I was terrified by the witch trying to coax the boy down from the tree house and of course all the scenes involving The Grand High Witch.

I remember seeing the scene from GHOSTWATCH out of context where the possessed voice was coming out of the girl's mouth. I watched it in full years later and it was truly a groundbreaking piece of television. It is understandable why it created so much hysteria at the time.

Lastly, I recall being freaked out by a music video which to this day I have been unable to identify. It was late at night and I think my family had VH1 on the TV. The music video featured a female singer, it was quite a psychedelic video, the song was upbeat. I remember close ups of the singer, she'd do something freaky with her eyes as if she was staring into the TV, then it would freeze frame. I may have confused it with "Groove is in the Heart" but from memory the singer looked different. She was brunette with a bob haircut. I'm guessing the video would have been 80's or early 90's.
Was it 'stay' by Shakespears sister? It messed me up as a youngster 😂 not helped by mum who said 'that's what the devil looks like' wtf mum

Last edited:
  • Wow
1.That girl with the clown on BBC when the station closed down.
2. Clowns and all porcelain dolls
3. Terror hawks kids show (loved it though ha)
4. That weird show with thingy from Minder .He was married to a woman with a mole .She Devil I think it was called.
5. Old style Crimewatch show
6. Victorian photos

Reactions: 5
I might be making this up or reliving a nightmare but I'm sure there was an advert warning women to be careful when ironing 🤣 and at the end was a closeup of a 'dead' doll on the floor with a singed, bashed-in head 😱

Was it 'stay' by Shakespears sister? It messed me up as a youngster 😂 not helped by mum who said 'that's what the devil looks like' wtf mum
Or maybe Betty Boo as she had a bob and also did psychedelic stuff