Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hated the British transport police public info film where the kids were playing on the train tracks and the boy gets his legs taken off - our school was v close to the railway station so every year we’d get that and I swear it was worse every year! I follow ‘scarred for life’ on twitter which is all about these old films etc.

I was also frightened of sirens and would get v anxious hearing them, I’d be convinced they belonged to a fire engine and our house was on fire.

As an adult I still can’t look properly at pics of Regan from the exorcist - horrible!!
I can’t look at her either , I am petrified of her. id never look for her intentially but sometimes you would just be scrolling through Facebook she would be on a meme or something 😱 she is so scary!!

Reactions: 2
An episode of a long lost CITV British mini-series, titled The Frighteners. The episode was set in Victorian times I believe and centered on a little girl finding fairies at the bottom of her garden. Gradually, the fairies turned evil and the episode ended with the fairy's distorted face superimposed onto the mother (I think!) laughing maniacally. This episode aired in 1997. To this day, I have never been able to find it again, at the time I remember being extremely freaked out!!

The Witches film based on Roald Dahl's novel. We ended up watching it in primary school around Christmas time, where we watched videos as a treat before end of term. It freaked so many kids out, parents complained and it resulted in us being unable to watch PG rated films without parental consent from then on. I was terrified by the witch trying to coax the boy down from the tree house and of course all the scenes involving The Grand High Witch.

I remember seeing the scene from GHOSTWATCH out of context where the possessed voice was coming out of the girl's mouth. I watched it in full years later and it was truly a groundbreaking piece of television. It is understandable why it created so much hysteria at the time.

Lastly, I recall being freaked out by a music video which to this day I have been unable to identify. It was late at night and I think my family had VH1 on the TV. The music video featured a female singer, it was quite a psychedelic video, the song was upbeat. I remember close ups of the singer, she'd do something freaky with her eyes as if she was staring into the TV, then it would freeze frame. I may have confused it with "Groove is in the Heart" but from memory the singer looked different. She was brunette with a bob haircut. I'm guessing the video would have been 80's or early 90's.

Reactions: 4
This thread has made me remember so much weird tit that was SO BLOODY SCARY to me as a child. Honestly though why was everything in the 90s so fucked up 😂
This advert honestly terrified me. What is even happening! How is this an advert for a car:

Also vaguely remember some sort of late night music video that had a skeleton in a shower/bath/toilet? I turned it off as soon as it came on. Thought it was smack my witch up at the time but its not that song. It was a dance song though from what I can remember.

Also the extended video for rock DJ freaked me out so much I remember seeing it one morning before school and it took me by surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
This thread has made me remember so much weird tit that was SO BLOODY SCARY to me as a child. Honestly though why was everything in the 90s so fucked up 😂
This advert honestly terrified me. What is even happening! How is this an advert for a car:

Also vaguely remember some sort of late night music video that had a skeleton in a shower/bath/toilet? I turned it off as soon as it came on. Thought it was smack my witch up at the time but its not that song. It was a dance song though from what I can remember.

Also the extended video for rock DJ freaked me out so much I remember seeing it one morning before school and it took me by surprise.
I remember kids in school talking about the Rock DJ video and how gruesome it was!! I'd only seen the cut version during the day but remember staying up late watching the music channels one night and saw the full version!!

That programme was probably my first taste of horror as a youngster, along with those cheesy Point Horror books. I loved it.
Point Horrors were addictive. Do you remember the one called Trick or Treat about someone moving to a new house and there was a tunnel in it or something, they thought it was a ghost but was some psycho from their school tormenting them. Also The Accident with someone dying in a boating lake and she came back from the dead trying to drown this girl

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Does anyone remember elidor , I found that really creepy. One scene where they were all on a train and passed this house with a spooky face bothered me for ages.

Yup. Terrifying. Still to this day I can go back to being no older than 5, in hedgehogs class, shitting myself.
We had a game similar to Granny’s Garden called Flowers of Crystal, some of that was weirdly nightmare inducing too- this was in 1992 but looked dated then

Reactions: 1
The field of blood scene in watership down. My primary school always put it on as the film on the last day of school before summer hols. I was traumatised

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Gremlins! When the got touched by water and turned into those horrible green things I hated it so badly, I don’t even think I could watch the film now as it terrifies me 🤣

An episode of a long lost CITV British mini-series, titled The Frighteners. The episode was set in Victorian times I believe and centered on a little girl finding fairies at the bottom of her garden. Gradually, the fairies turned evil and the episode ended with the fairy's distorted face superimposed onto the mother (I think!) laughing maniacally. This episode aired in 1997. To this day, I have never been able to find it again, at the time I remember being extremely freaked out!!
This must be the same thing that creeped me out. I cant remember the ending with the face but I remember the fairies were hungry and they bit the girl, she had to feed them sausages. I spent about a week planning how I would have to deal with said fairies if I ever came across them 😂

Reactions: 2
Freddy Krueger in general still to this day he screams the life out of me the part in the film where he sucks the girl into the bed oh no that ruined me and i would never sleep in a bed for years after thay so made my mum get me a sofa bed I figured that was the safest but that's my worst

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Freddy Krueger in general still to this day he screams the life out of me the part in the film where he sucks the girl into the bed oh no that ruined me and i would never sleep in a bed for years after thay so made my mum get me a sofa bed I figured that was the safest but that's my worst
The bath/plug hole scene got me. I used to be in the bath and just watch the plug hole just incase it moved 🤣🤣 and I used to love baths but after that they got very quick. my cousin was mean and put it on one night 🙈 I was only like 10

• Haha
Reactions: 4