Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For me when I was 7 or 8.it was daleks and triffids.but when I was 12 I watched the original chainsaw massacre.it got banned not long after,and I have never eaten a sausage since.had nightmares for weeks.also there's a scene in it that shows you a chicken living in a tiny budgie cage.jesus that disturbed me to

The x files episode with tooms terrified me. Was convinced he was going to climb out of the vents in my sisters house while I was babysitting my nieces. Was about 13 at the time

Reactions: 5
The one thing that frightened me when I was younger was watching Tales of the Unexpected especially when the music came on and the lady was dancing in the flames.
I used to hate the music from Tales of the Unexpected too. It was so creepy

Ghosts. I loved books like the Point Horror series and Bunty comic which had random stories like people who went through time slips, had a mate who turned out to be a ghost etc. I’d be thinking about them of a night lying awake and panic if I heard a noise 😂

Reactions: 1
The x files episode with tooms terrified me. Was convinced he was going to climb out of the vents in my sisters house while I was babysitting my nieces. Was about 13 at the time
Gosh yes! The yellow eyes! I was working my way through X Files and had to take a break for about a year after that one, and that was fairly recently. Very creepy and definitely not one I'd cope with as a child.

Not sure why, but the advert with "BELLY'S GONNA GET YA!" used to freak me out as a child.

Also, the Goosebump's opening sequence where the woman on the billboard morphs into something that looks like Michael Jackson.

Bought this for cheap on GOG.com a couple of years ago. A lot of odd looking characters on there for sure. Another game with FMV that was quite creepy was Phantasmagoria.
I was too young to know about Phantasmagoria but I watched some top ten scary Sierra games countdown on YouTube, it’s featured Phantasmagoria. I’d say that’s the scariest looking game I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: 1
When Doom melted in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Absolutely terrifying as a kid.

I’m still traumatised over the public service announcements that we were shown as very young kids at school. Particularly the train safety ones.

Death. I remember having an absolute massive panic attack when I was very young when I realised that one day I could lose everyone I love.

Reactions: 7
Ghost watch was bloody terrifying! We rewatched it recently and they kept talking about the glory hole......smirk.
Definitely Ghostwatch! I was about 16 and some friends and I watched together and we were all petrified! Very controversial at the time too as a young lad killed himself after watching it 🙁

I was about 10 and went to the shops with my Aunty and saw a missing poster for a young girl who later turned out to be murdered. I was then terrified I was going to be abducted or murdered! I don’t think it helped that my dad loved watching the news and Crimewatch etc.

I’m sure a similar film to the one with the frisbee and the pylon was shown in schools in the 80’s? But involved some trainers and railway lines, Cheggers was in it I think? Horrendous! The police would come round and do a safety talk and petrify all the kids at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I hated the British transport police public info film where the kids were playing on the train tracks and the boy gets his legs taken off - our school was v close to the railway station so every year we’d get that and I swear it was worse every year! I follow ‘scarred for life’ on twitter which is all about these old films etc.

I was also frightened of sirens and would get v anxious hearing them, I’d be convinced they belonged to a fire engine and our house was on fire.

As an adult I still can’t look properly at pics of Regan from the exorcist - horrible!!

Reactions: 8
Atmosphere game! I had two older sisters that used to play it and it used to scare the crap out of me!!
OMG someone else who remembers that game! The gatekeeper 😂 Xmas 1992/3 memories.My memories of that are him saying ‘bring me the old one’ and the oldest person playing had to come close to the TV screen and the gatekeeper’s face would decompose or something

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just hearing the theme tune to Ghost Hunters on cbbc would petrify me, especially if it was a winters evening and it was dark by 5pm (when it would come on)

I’m sure their was a public service advert about children playing on train tracks as well, any sight of a train track would scare me, didn’t really help that my house backed on to one.

The woman from Terrorhawks (clue in the title really!) and the monkeys from the wizard of oz.. I still can't wait that film to this day and I'm 38.
Zelda? She terrified me too. 😔

Tripods. Completely freaky program about aliens that used to put some kind of implant in the back of humans' necks.

OMG someone else who remembers that game! The gatekeeper 😂 Xmas 1992/3 memories.My memories of that are him saying ‘bring me the old one’ and the oldest person playing had to come close to the TV screen and the gatekeeper’s face would decompose or something
Yes!!! I honestly thought I was the only kid that was scared of this game!! My family would play it when they all get together and I'd be hiding away in another room, but could still here the bloody game! 🤦‍♀️😄.