TheLongMum

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never said I was perfect and I never said you were tit. My son uses an ipad and I think they're great. But I'd never let him stare at an ipad in a restaurant while out for a family meal because I think it's rude and doesn't teach them any social skills. That's my opinion.
I think teaching my child manners, spending quality time with her and teaching her not to be judgemental of peoples situation will make her a far more rounded child with social skills, doubt an hour on an iPad at dinner is going to make her a rude obnoxious weirdo that nobody wants to be friends with? You’re more than welcome to your opinion that’s the whole point of tattle? Whilst I’m on here cos I’m not much of a fan of thelongmum- the way I see it is that she’s been with her children all day and interacting- maybe she’s sick of them and they’re sick of talking to her? If you’re judging people in restaurants you don’t know why they are using ipads. My friends daughter uses hers because she is non verbal and autistic and it calms her down. I see people lives on here as they share everything but I don’t judge people in restaurants because I’ve no idea of their circumstances.

Reactions: 9
Yes I’m an autism parent and often use screens at restaurant tables.
We’ve had the judgemental stares.
As you say, no one knows why there may be a screen at the table but what I do know is that it’s the parents choice and that there are far bigger things to worry about.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I am an only parent like Anna but I have a full time job. I use the iPad because to be honest that’s great that you have so much patience but sometimes I’ve not eaten all day and need 5 minutes peace to do some admin and mindlessly scroll here because I’ve had an absolute ball ache of a day and no I don’t want to talk about unicorns for an hour at dinner time. So yes I’m a tit parent but we can’t all be perfect!
Oh no no I really didn’t want anyone to take offence to what I said so I hope I didn’t offend you as I don’t think you’re a tit parent in the slightest because I am totally with you on that. I deffo am not a tablet free household and some days I want to put my kids in the cupboard so I can shove some food down my throat 🤣 (in fact...I very nearly did yesterday). I rate tablets for down time absolutely and I am running on 3% most days especially on the days I work with kids that aren’t my own so I get it I really do. I was more getting at parents who literally surgically attach it to their own kids hands for every minute of the day and basically spoon feed it to them like they NEED it, rather than it’s a nice addition to everyday life - my lovely bosses, god love them but I don’t understand it. I’d rather see my kids faces at least 85% of the time you know. The other 15% (-25% 🤪) of the time they can watch Blippi to their hearts content.

In fairness, the eldest that I work with is autistic and does use his iPad to regulate and stay focussed and engaged and it’s been a godsend for him. But when you see kids being actually damaged by the overuse of an iPad or tablet right in front of your eyes (bad school report, poor focus and attention, rattiness, addiction to the device) and not taught manners, how to behave at the dinner table, how to do anything apart from switch the tablet on and watch continuous Youtube videos then it’s super hard not to kind of get a bit riled up on the topic. It wasn’t even the original point so I will stop now! But hope you see my point. It’s been a long day with said ratty kids so my apologies. Everyone’s just doing their best, including Anna I’m sure.

Reactions: 4
Oh no no I really didn’t want anyone to take offence to what I said so I hope I didn’t offend you as I don’t think you’re a tit parent in the slightest because I am totally with you on that. I deffo am not a tablet free household and some days I want to put my kids in the cupboard so I can shove some food down my throat 🤣 (in fact...I very nearly did yesterday). I rate tablets for down time absolutely and I am running on 3% most days especially on the days I work with kids that aren’t my own so I get it I really do. I was more getting at parents who literally surgically attach it to their own kids hands for every minute of the day and basically spoon feed it to them like they NEED it, rather than it’s a nice addition to everyday life - my lovely bosses, god love them but I don’t understand it. I’d rather see my kids faces at least 85% of the time you know. The other 15% (-25% 🤪) of the time they can watch Blippi to their hearts content.

In fairness, the eldest that I work with is autistic and does use his iPad to regulate and stay focussed and engaged and it’s been a godsend for him. But when you see kids being actually damaged by the overuse of an iPad or tablet right in front of your eyes (bad school report, poor focus and attention, rattiness, addiction to the device) and not taught manners, how to behave at the dinner table, how to do anything apart from switch the tablet on and he attached to continues Youtube videos then it’s super hard not to kind of get a bit riled up on the topic. It wasn’t even the original point so I will stop now! But hope you see my point. It’s been a long day with said ratty kids so my apologies. Everyone’s just doing their best, including Anna I’m sure.
No no - not offended in the slightest and trust me I know there are people out there who completely don’t engage with their children- my daughter will take it or leave it but my point is that we don’t know peoples circumstances - so we can THINK oh my god that’s terrible that they are all on devices (parents included) but you just don’t know? Sometimes I’ve not been on my phone for personal reasons all day, I want to switch off and scroll and so does my child! I speak to people all day, she’s in nursery with her friends all day so I don’t see the problem with switching off. We tend to have a hood long chat after I read her a book at night because we are both engaged by that point? Sometimes we are out for dinner because I don’t even have food in the house nor the inclination to cook- we’ve maybe chatted in the car on the way there, we will chat when the food comes but yes I sit on my device and so does my daughter. I grew up with parents that plonked us in front of home and away and neighbours most night with dinner- I’ve grown up to be a director of a company with very good social skills I would say! Ipads can be the devil- I totally agree with you. The deal with my daughter is she gets the iPad and if I say enough it’s handed straight over- any attempt at a tantrum well no iPad for days until she learns……although that’s more of a punishment for me 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
No no - not offended in the slightest and trust me I know there are people out there who completely don’t engage with their children- my daughter will take it or leave it but my point is that we don’t know peoples circumstances - so we can THINK oh my god that’s terrible that they are all on devices (parents included) but you just don’t know? Sometimes I’ve not been on my phone for personal reasons all day, I want to switch off and scroll and so does my child! I speak to people all day, she’s in nursery with her friends all day so I don’t see the problem with switching off. We tend to have a hood long chat after I read her a book at night because we are both engaged by that point? Sometimes we are out for dinner because I don’t even have food in the house nor the inclination to cook- we’ve maybe chatted in the car on the way there, we will chat when the food comes but yes I sit on my device and so does my daughter. I grew up with parents that plonked us in front of home and away and neighbours most night with dinner- I’ve grown up to be a director of a company with very good social skills I would say! Ipads can be the devil- I totally agree with you. The deal with my daughter is she gets the iPad and if I say enough it’s handed straight over- any attempt at a tantrum well no iPad for days until she learns……although that’s more of a punishment for me 😂😂
Completely agree with everything you’ve said 🙌🏼 I’m all for it how you’re saying and I agree. You are far better at articulating it than I am! We were a plonked in front of the tv household too so I feel like I actively try to avoid that with the kids despite turning out a pretty well rounded and mannered person so maybe it is just work that’s fuelled the fire in me as it totally enrages me when people just don’t interact on any level with their kids, makes me so sad. And I’m all for heading out for dinner because cba to cook, I wish I had the money to do it most nights in all honesty 😂 anyway this is totally going off topic but I should just say in saying all this, it’s been a late one tonight and my kids are currently on their 568th pre-bedtime story Hey Duggee episode so YANNO 😂 win some, lose most of them 🤣

Anna is a single parent who might want to have one later dinner to feel like an adult on holiday. I think she’s CONSIDERATE taking devices for the children to use.

Reactions: 15
These are all interesting points but my observation was of Anna letting her two children use ipads while eating at a restaurant table when we all know neither of them are autistic which personally I see as lazy and rude and apparently it seems I'm in the minority with this view. I have no issue with how parents of autistic children manage at mealtimes.

• Angry
I wonder if she will be referencing anal sex or wanking while she’s on her gifted trip with the new boyfriend?

I wonder who is looking after the girls - after her moaning that their dad was only having them for a week of the summer holidays.

Reactions: 2
She should be tagging every story as a press trip and not just stating it in the first one.

‘Press trip’ is just a ridiculous made up phrase.

It is an AD and AD should be clearly on every story and at the start of every post. Otherwise she risks being reported to the ASA.

Reactions: 7