The Tim Tracker #54 Stranger Danger? Wut dis?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m a huge Disney park/resorts fan, and have never understood how DVC is currently worth the buy in. 25 years ago? Yeah. Tim’s explanation of 70k plus 3500/year didn’t make me feel any different. What am I missing about DVC.

Reactions: 14
So, is $3500 a normal price to fly across the US round trip in first class? I near about spit out my drink when they said the price per person.
I don't want to come off as braggy, but I'm childless and lucky to have a great job making good money. I like to treat myself when I go on my one or two vacations per year (which have stopped since COVID started), so I fly first class domestically here in the US and business when I fly international. It's not cheap, but I scour the internet for a cheapest deal possible. I usually can fly from coast to coast in domestic first class for about $400, and I usually can score a good lie-flat business class seat on an international flight for around $2000 to $2500 USD round trip. To get these cheaper deals, I sacrifice convenience. Usually I have weird layovers, when I could have easily had a direct flight from my home airport. They're also usually non-changeable and non-refundable, so once I purchase there's no turning back. I wouldn't put it past the trackers to just pick the most expensive flights and book them, just because they're the most expensive. If I went on the 100 trips per year these dicks go on, I wouldn't be able to find these deals.

Reactions: 20
So, is $3500 a normal price to fly across the US round trip in first class? I near about spit out my drink when they said the price per person.
That's insane to spend on plane tickets, I've never really gotten the whole first class thing, you aren't getting there any faster than anyone else an your still going be fed like everyone else, I've done first class once, me an my bro go upgraded since out two flights had been cancelled going back into Newark because of hurricane sandy an we couldn't stay any longer in orlando, it had went from a weekend to a week an we needed back so they upgraded us to do that since they had two seats in first class, to me it wasn't as special enough to jusitfy what those seats probably would cost, sure we got on the plane that little bit quicker an got a bigger meal but that was is aside from the bigger leg room which being small has never bothered me anyway, I could never see myself spending that kind of money even if I had it just for that

Reactions: 7
I’m a huge Disney park/resorts fan, and have never understood how DVC is currently worth the buy in. 25 years ago? Yeah. Tim’s explanation of 70k plus 3500/year didn’t make me feel any different. What am I missing about DVC.
In my honest opinion you aren't missing a darn thing- all it does is line the pockets of greed at Disney. After they toured the 3 bedroom villa, you could tell in his voice he had a woody for DVC, LOL, sorry but he was beside, around, under, over, on top of himself with excitement.. $$$$$$$

Our stay at Kadani village in October, we had two bathrooms and that was so, so nice and I believe hubby said it was almost 900.00 per night but mind you we hadn't been in forever since Covid and had a nice pile of money put back in our Disney savings account.. So what the hell we splurged but generally we stay at Ft. Wilderness and rent a golf cart.. The trackashians are trying so hard to impress themselves and everyone else!!!!

Reactions: 5
Thank you for telling us you are rich & good at wasting $…. Ugh.

At least there are a few WTF comments…
I'm with Jimmy M on that one. It's a shame they've completely forgotten what got them where they are. The people who clicked, subscribed, liked, commented, etc, are the ones who helped them get to the point where they can go on all these trips and destroy the house they're living in. Now, they're this unrecognizable channel, catering to this bottom of the barrel fan base, and the people who fueled their success are supposed to either shut up, or stop watching. They can't even take a little well-worded constructive criticism. I hope Jimmy makes his way over to our group here.

Reactions: 12
Many places in the USA to Hawaii, yes $3,500’is about average for that route. New York nonstop on United averages 3-4K a person. If you take delta one (large planes through Atlanta or Minneapolis) it’s similar, same with AA Flagship business though Dallas or Chicago. I have seen Delta 1 and Flagship AA for as low as 2,100 though.

Cheapest way in first is typically City A to California to Hawaii. That’s usually 2-3K because you don’t have the lay flat seat on an international configured plane.

That's insane to spend on plane tickets, I've never really gotten the whole first class thing, you aren't getting there any faster than anyone else an your still going be fed like everyone else, I've done first class once, me an my bro go upgraded since out two flights had been cancelled going back into Newark because of hurricane sandy an we couldn't stay any longer in orlando, it had went from a weekend to a week an we needed back so they upgraded us to do that since they had two seats in first class, to me it wasn't as special enough to jusitfy what those seats probably would cost, sure we got on the plane that little bit quicker an got a bigger meal but that was is aside from the bigger leg room which being small has never bothered me anyway, I could never see myself spending that kind of money even if I had it just for that
Within the US, first class is not worth the price at all. When you fly overseas or to hawaii, it becomes very appealing.

Reactions: 6
You're not missing anything. It currently makes little to no sense to buy in direct via Disney at these prices (resale market can be much cheaper, but they restrict access to other resorts and events.)

I bought in about 14 years ago at $80/pt. I crunched the numbers for over a year before I decided it was worth it for me. At that point in time my kids were still young, I was a single mom and Disney was a familiar safe zone for us to get away to. It more than paid for itself.

If I had that same situation today I would never buy in at these prices. I could save money by staying in those mods and the newer Universal resorts.

Reactions: 8
Well, the Trackers being stupid is part of the problem. 70k at Aulani translates to around 500 points right now if you buy direct. Well over 500 if done resale. That's at least a week in an ocean-view two-bedroom villa every year. A week in October in that room with cash is going to be 13k in 2022. 70k divided by 40 years left on the contract means $1750 per year, plus dues. Still coming out ahead of Disney prices, so I think it makes sense for what it is - a luxury vacation purchase. Plus, in 20 years, buying now will have seemed smart if the last 20 years of DVC are any indication of where it's going. Dues have almost always increased more slowly than hotel pricing has gone up.

The Trackers are dumb, though.

We bought in about a decade ago and even then when we ran the numbers, the margins were tight. Now? There's no way I'd grab in. At this point we just rent our points out for cash when we don't want to go. So we're not "losing" money but it's not the savings center we thought it would be.

I have been a 150 point DVC member since 1997.
Would I buy now? NO.
Not with the saturation of members and the point costs now.
But that is a different topic.

Tim was looking to buy around 375 points @ $188 per point at Aulani. Enough to get an Aulani 1B Villa Ocean View (like what they stayed in) for 8 nights in the lowest tier season.

Dues for Tim with 375 points are $8.68 per point or $271.25 per month

Your DVC points remain the same each year. You can bank and borrow points also.

DVC usage fluctuates depending on what resort you stay in, when you are going and what type of room you require.

If you have specific questions, myself or many of my fellow DVC members, could help clarify.

Last edited:
If I had that same situation today I would never buy in at these prices. I could save money by staying in those mods and the newer Universal resorts.
I was tempted to stay at one of the Universal resorts in 2018. We opted to stay at a Hilton Hampton Inn near Universal. What did you like about the Universal ones I might have missed out on? Besides being on location?

Reactions: 3
I’m guessing these two are J$’s cousins’ least favorite aunt and uncle. They spent all that money on themselves but couldn’t even buy a couple of keychains for their nieces/nephews? Not even a box of chocolates for Dim’s parents?

You know the only reason they mentioned bringing the family along on their next trip would be to try to justify staying in the grand villa.

Reactions: 12
We bought in about a decade ago and even then when we ran the numbers, the margins were tight. Now? There's no way I'd grab in. At this point we just rent our points out for cash when we don't want to go. So we're not "losing" money but it's not the savings center we thought it would be.
We looked at buying into Riviera when it was the “deal” this spring. Obviously it wasn’t a 70k buy in like Aulani but we still couldn’t make it make sense. And trust me, I wanted to make it make sense.

With the way you can rent points, you never really have to pay full price for a room at Disney, which is one of the reasons it isn’t so appealing anymore.

Reactions: 5
Dimmy has come a long way since Disney first opened up from COVID. He wouldn't eat anything, touch anything, go near anyone and generally had a scared shitless look on his face the entire time. Then relaxed enough to eat while still distancing, wouldn't touch toppings packets, wouldn't touch merch and carried an umbrella to push buttons or doors open.
Now he jaunts off to Hawaii, touches and eats EVERYTHING while their numbers continue to rise:
1641925424493.png

So, where was the big change? Him getting vaccinated? Getting COVID? Views dropping?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I was tempted to stay at one of the Universal resorts in 2018. We opted to stay at a Hilton Hampton Inn near Universal. What did you like about the Universal ones I might have missed out on? Besides being on location?
I used "universal resorts" loosely there, sorry. I'm one to find the best bang for my buck and for Uni, so far, it's been the royal pacific, even Concierge level one time (amazing deal).

Could not beat the front of the line access, ability to walk to the parks (or take the boat which took longer) and despite the lack of balconies it was beyond beautiful inside with all the orchids.

At that time staying offsite would have been more expensive for a hotel I was comfortable with.

Add in that my son often does his own thing, and I needed him to have the fastest, safest way to get from the parks to the resort. It alone played a big role in my decision to buy DVC. This is where I'm saying the newer resorts at Universal may be the best deal... then again, there's a very long walk from the parks to the bus stop. Maybe Sapphire Falls is the way to go here now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
We looked at buying into Riviera when it was the “deal” this spring. Obviously it wasn’t a 70k buy in like Aulani but we still couldn’t make it make sense. And trust me, I wanted to make it make sense.

With the way you can rent points, you never really have to pay full price for a room at Disney, which is one of the reasons it isn’t so appealing anymore.
Good call!
Riviera is a fantastic resort, but the restrictions on it are ridiculous! You can’t use your Riviera points at any of the other DVC properties the last I heard.

Reactions: 4
Dimmy has come a long way since Disney first opened up from COVID. He wouldn't eat anything, touch anything, go near anyone and generally had a scared shitless look on his face the entire time. Then relaxed enough to eat while still distancing, wouldn't touch toppings packets, wouldn't touch merch and carried an umbrella to push buttons or doors open.
Now he jaunts off to Hawaii, touches and eats EVERYTHING while their numbers continue to rise:
View attachment 982563

So, where was the big change? Him getting vaccinated? Getting COVID? Views dropping?
That was all a little much when he was doing it. He should have just been staying home when the parks first opened. If he was still behaving this way when he’s fully vaccinated and boosted, it would be disturbing. Countless people are traveling to Hawaii/Disney/you name it. Tim Tracker is not some sort of stand out problem in this situation.

You know the only reason they mentioned bringing the family along on their next trip would be to try to justify staying in the grand villa.
The Aulani 3 bedroom Grand Villa is between 122 - 184 points per night depending on when you visit.

This is just Tim flexing, puffing out his chest and boasting. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

🤔 Tim hasn’t bought DVC so it’s a moot point anyways 😂😆😂!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.