The Tim Tracker #158 Will our budget get as tight as our pants?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have seen many kids my son's age (he's 7) become addicted to video games. It's scary how so many don't want to play outside, do Legos, etc. We let him play but have strict limits and he mostly plays on weekends. I don't see the Trackers doing this since they are happy to plop him in front of a screen during every meal.
I don't let my 3 year old play video games. He gets some screen time while I am cooking. I'll be ok with him starting Minecraft at 5 like my older son did. It's a pretty cool game.

Reactions: 17
I will disagree with you on this although I agree with one person that he should’ve he should be made to earn one. He needs a console video game. console video games have been proven to be fantastic for hand eye coordination, and we all know that that poor kid needs help in that area. I think it will be good for him.
However, they do need a limit his screen time the same with the freaking iPad
My kiddo has been doing great with his hand-eye coordination since he's had a Switch. It's Xmas break so we've been way too lenient on screen time especially since his friends are all out of town and the mr and I have been sick, I feel like a bad mom haha. During school he mostly only plays on weekends, but everything in school is on iPads now. He dislikes reading which breaks my heart.

At that age though a Switch? We didn't get one until my son was about 8. He had an old iPad to occasionally watch things and play educational games with when he was J$'s age.

Reactions: 14
Going to also say that hand-eye coordination can improve with a videogame. When I was young the Dr told my parents I was a bit "off" in the hand-eye coordination and to get me a Nintendo. Thank you Dr.

Reactions: 9
I hate to be the asshole here, but as Tim is feeling pretty good about knowing the definition of festoon, there is an alternative use for the word, and unfortunately he has festoons under his eyes…and not the decorative kind…

Festoons, also called Malar Bags or Under Eye Bags, are sagging baggy swellings below the eyes primarily over the cheek mounds. They make you look constantly tired or unwell and are a significant cosmetic derangement.

Reactions: 18
Going to also say that hand-eye coordination can improve with a videogame. When I was young the Dr told my parents I was a bit "off" in the hand-eye coordination and to get me a Nintendo. Thank you Dr.
I remember the Nintendo being recommended as well as computer games. Kid really should have some Play-dough though. I remember my occupation therapist had me do ton of activities with play-dough to build up coordination skills. As arts and craft friendly as they claim to be you'd think they'd have some. Honestly, I don't know if a Switch is that great for J$. He seems to get hyper focused on things so if they don't watch it-they won't-I can see it leading to a meltdown fast. Also, the cynical part of me wonders if they'll push it so when they do go to SM in CA or when the one in FL finally opens they can claim that have a Nintendo obsessed kid.
---
“Jackson’s First Gaming Console” is not Jackson’s at all. Amanduh, sweetie, you ain’t getting your Switch back. Like ever.

Welcome to a very Tracker Friendship!

Hey Girl! View attachment 2667240
I'm sure Auntie AManduh will be happy when the switch is turned into a makeshift Hot Wheels car and ends up missing buttons and/or it's thrown at Da Baby.

• Haha
There are plenty of ways to improve a child’s hand eye coordination without a video game. That child gets too much screen time as it is. They have ignored every red flag he has- especially his speech. A damn video game for a 4 yr is certainly not going to help his speech or social skills.
They have already ruined him in so many ways- why not f him up more with video games.

Attachments

• Heart
There are plenty of ways to improve a child’s hand eye coordination without a video game. That child gets too much screen time as it is. They have ignored every red flag he has- especially his speech. A damn video game for a 4 yr is certainly not going to help his speech or social skills.
They have already ruined him in so many ways- why not f him up more with video games.
I think basically he lives on screens.

If my kiddo had speech and other delays I'd have gotten him into the pediatrician for a referral like, yesterday.

It's appalling they won't but I think it's genuinely they do not give a tit.

Reactions: 18
They won't spend $5 on a digital car for one of his iPad games but allow him to have a console where the games can cost as much as $40 to $60? Especially if he wants Nintendo published games like the Mario games that rarely drop in price much. Those games can have add ons and downloadable content that cost extra as well.

Like others said I think he will be using it way too much. With the Hot Wheels Unleashed game (if they get it for him) the way you get new cars in the game is buying them with coins in the game earned from racing and selling duplicate cars. No real money is involved but it forces you to play more and more to get all the cars you want.

My kiddo has been doing great with his hand-eye coordination since he's had a Switch. It's Xmas break so we've been way too lenient on screen time especially since his friends are all out of town and the mr and I have been sick, I feel like a bad mom haha. During school he mostly only plays on weekends, but everything in school is on iPads now. He dislikes reading which breaks my heart.

At that age though a Switch? We didn't get one until my son was about 8. He had an old iPad to occasionally watch things and play educational games with when he was J$'s age.
My son is 4.5 he hasn’t touched his iPad since June, even on an airplane. We have a few games for the Switch. We got him Mario Kart and Switch Sports for Xmas. He’s gotten really good at Mario Kart. Switch Sports is so much fun. It’s like the old Wii Sports. But we also teach him that you won’t always come in first and that’s okay. You have to win and lose with graciousness and say good game.

All kids are different. I’m okay with him playing bc he won’t play all day he gets bored. Right now he’s in a rotation of: Switch, Play Doh, Marble Rush, trampoline, his scissor cutting and pasting skills workbook, wooden train set and his rug from IKEA that has the streets and the little town and volcano on it.

OG Buddy seems to zone out a lot. I’d be interested to see what his fine motor skill set is like.

I think they will get him a Switch just to keep him out of the way. If it's a AAA game they'll be spending out the wazoo on games. Just Googled Hot Wheels unleashed the cheap version in $50 you know he'll want all the DLC. I'd just love for him to get a hold of Mommy's credit card and max it out by buying crap. Hey it could be the basis of The Buddy and Mommy's Magical Card.

Reactions: 13
Probably unpopular but I don’t mind Amanda calling herself out letting everyone know she’s besties with the Trackers. I guess I just find it so annoying that Tim and Jen say that stupid “we’re here with friends” bs but then don’t show them. We all know that Amanda is not camera shy (and Mike didn’t seem like it either) so it’s obvious the Trackers are the ones who don’t want anyone else on camera with them. I realize there’s some strange exception for Adam and Nick, and I can’t figure that one out. I assume it’s because they feel there’s something in it for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Probably unpopular but I don’t mind Amanda calling herself out letting everyone know she’s besties with the Trackers. I guess I just find it so annoying that Tim and Jen say that stupid “we’re here with friends” bs but then don’t show them. We all know that Amanda is not camera shy (and Mike didn’t seem like it either) so it’s obvious the Trackers are the ones who don’t want anyone else on camera with them. I realize there’s some strange exception for Adam and Nick, and I can’t figure that one out. I assume it’s because they feel there’s something in it for them.
Honestly, if they want to be friends with a nutjob like Amanduh I say let them. You'd think they'd actually care about the safety of their kids with some of these randos they bring into their lives but they don't as seen in Buddy Learns a Lesson: Stoves Are Bad.

Plot twist: Jackson gets the switch for Oliver’s birthday!
But seriously, Christmas and his birthday JUST passed, there’s no reason for him to get another big gift so soon.

• Sick
Reactions: 20
I just don't think they ARE besties with her. She wishes, and may have been led to believe she is, but I don't buy it. So, she replies publicly with stuff that says something like... so glad that cool item I delivered directly to you--because we were together in person and we are friends--is so loved by your son and it is all because of meeeee...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
So I finally watched the NY resolution voog and noted Jenn saying she wants to do DIY updates to their pantry and laundry room.

She just recently (like very recently) seems to have followed two DIY IG pages; her 'following' numbers jumped up after months of no posts or anything on IG -- 2 DIY pages and ThatTracks. 🥴

So, she plans to upload every day this month, fully explore local areas on different days this year, and Tim plans to be more consistent (with, I assume, filming and using social media, and was also referring to Jenn with uploading), and yet Jenn is going to spearhead a full-blown DIY renovation for their pantry and laundry room inspired by her IG scrolling while also editing every day? 😅

• Haha
I have seen many kids my son's age (he's 7) become addicted to video games. It's scary how so many don't want to play outside, do Legos, etc. We let him play but have strict limits and he mostly plays on weekends. I don't see the Trackers doing this since they are happy to plop him in front of a screen during every meal.
I don't let my 3 year old play video games. He gets some screen time while I am cooking. I'll be ok with him starting Minecraft at 5 like my older son did. It's a pretty cool game.
A great strategy. When our son was the same age we gave him a bank of 7 hours a week to play video games. He could use it how he pleased - all in one day, an hour a day - what ever he wanted. When it was gone that was it. He could earn extra gaming time by reading - 15 mins of reading = 15 mins of gaming time.

Interestingly when he found Harry Potter and Skullduggery Fletcher his reading far outstripped his gaming. He is 21 now and still loves both gaming and reading although the former in moderation.

Reactions: 21
I wonder if the Trackers will try to screw Nick out of revenue from the podcast. I know I wouldn’t trust the Trackers to give me 50% of earnings. The channel was made by Tim. Wouldn’t they have to pay all taxes on the revenue they make from the channel? Nick is probably doing it for free so he can sit next to Tim for an hour.

• Wow
A great strategy. When our son was the same age we gave him a bank of 7 hours a week to play video games. He could use it how he pleased - all in one day, an hour a day - what ever he wanted. When it was gone that was it. He could earn extra gaming time by reading - 15 mins of reading = 15 mins of gaming time.

Interestingly when he found Harry Potter and Skullduggery Fletcher his reading far outstripped his gaming. He is 21 now and still loves both gaming and reading although the former in moderation.
I need to try this again. We weren't consistent - my husband is rarely consistent with parenting things like this so it's mostly on me.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.