Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
Got my kitten at the end of December. She's 1 on 4th November.. really want a friend for her. But when I got her we was locked down so had all my time with her. How will it work if I get another and I'm at work? How do people get pets while at work . Any help would be helpful :) thanks.
I've taken time off work when I've had a new pet, I know that's not always possible though.

Reactions: 2

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
yes, she is beautiful you cannot see in the photo but her little back legs are orange 😻 , but a "typical tortie" as the vet says, basically hates everyone except my dad as he feeds her :ROFLMAO:
Oh they are weird typical tortitude..one minute loving,ne t biting you and having a go..I’ve had three.I adore them though.l❤

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
Please don't EVER use ANY Bob Martin stuff. It's terrible. Their flea collars and treatment have caused severe illness and deaths in animals.

A couple of years ago I THOUGHT I saw one loan flea on my cat. The vet THOUGHT he saw something too. Neither of us were sure, but he said best to treat it anyway

I got a spray from the vet called 'RIP Flea' (yes, seriously! 😂 ) that you use to treat the house. I won't lie. It's a pain to do, but fortunately I've only ever had to do it once. He treated the cat in the surgery on the day.

I couldn't understand how it happened as she's treated with a prevention treatment every three months, however I had been using Advocate and the vet said that a lot of cats seem to be getting immune to it. I use Bravecto now.

You can buy RIP Flea on Amazon and perhaps pet shops might have it, but ask the vet what's the best thing to treat the cat with.
I got Strikeback, I used the bomb and then the spray over the next few days. you need to spray and then hoover and make sure you throw away the hoover bag outside immediately (I forgot this the first time i did it and had to basically start again) Apparently fleas have been a huge problem this year for lots of cats

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
omg thank you so much! 🥰 thankfully i think i could have a set up where they would each have their own room so that they have enough personal space. roisin is indeed female and she's very calm, i've only heard her hiss once in her life but i can imagine she'd get jealous because she's obsessed with me! so i was thinking in general we'll have to shower her with attention but feeding her first is a really good tip!

look at me not getting excited at all 😂
I'm squealing for you! What I found easiest was to get some wire fencing stuff from a hardware shop and block off a room with the kitten in it, but leave the door open. That way the cats can see and smell one another but there's no physical contact and sweetie Roisin can still have most of the house. I hope I'm explaining it correctly, I got the idea by googling the best way to introduce them and that's what worked for us.

• Heart

mRsKbRoOkS

VIP Member
Okay I don’t feel so bad about not letting him out now! I have those same worries, I messaged his mums owner a couple weeks ago to update her on his progress. Sadly his mum has since passed as she got knocked down 😭, that’s what changed my mind about letting him out. But like you say he seems to want to. I also get a look of disgust from him when we let our dog in the garden and not him, he watches him outside until he comes back in 🤣.

Regarding tips about dogs and cats getting along, I think the fact that we had our dog first was a bonus. He was very excited at first and the cat wasn’t sure. We put our dog on a lead and let them sniff each other, everytime the dog was calm he got a treat, it only took 20 minutes to get them both loving each other. I think we were lucky. I think you should be fine with your future pup liking your cats but I’m not sure an older cat will take to new dog. I might be wrong Any one else know ?

@MaineCoonMama out of interest how big are your Maine coons ? I didn’t know what one was until the vet mentioned the breed! (See such a ignorant person 😆). But wow ! The size some of them grow too I was shocked !! Are yours any where near as big as Google leads one to believe ? X

Last edited:
  • Heart

AladdinSane

VIP Member
Maine Coons are massive but they're so gentle and sweet. The worst they'll do is crush your head sitting on it. 😊
Can confirm they are soft as anything 🤣 I've got a maine coon mix (with ragdoll) and he is so soft. But a typical cat who does not do anything that isn't his terms.

• Heart

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
...she is gorgeous...surprised she let's you...if I attempt with mine I usually get a swift swipe ( claws in though) :LOL:
I have three and they all really love belly rubs. It might be a Maine Coon thing as I've never come across cats who dig tummy pats so much!

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
Got my kitten at the end of December. She's 1 on 4th November.. really want a friend for her. But when I got her we was locked down so had all my time with her. How will it work if I get another and I'm at work? How do people get pets while at work . Any help would be helpful :) thanks.
I actually find it better now that I have 2 as they can keep each other company when I am out (Albeit they mainly just sleep all day anyway) if you can't stay at home for a few days when you get the new cat I would keep them in separate rooms when you are out just in case, just for the first week or so

emm

VIP Member
Have you tried a spray bottle with water in it? I keep a couple around the house, they're cheap as chips and work really well for me. If the neighbour cat comes in give it a spray, it might take a few goes but soon enough you should see at least a few less visits! I spray my three when they get on the kitchen table or scratch the furniture. Now all I have to do is shake the bottle and they take off! Best of luck x
you could also put something citrus smelling around the window to deter them

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
Hello!

My wee Orion has just turned 1 years old, so I started to cut back his food as recommended by the vet as he’s now an adult. He’s not too happy about this, but despite cutting back he’s still a whopping 5.5kg.

hes always been a solid chunky cat even as a kitten, but I’m worried about his weight. I’d like to feed him more as he’s clearly looking for it, but don’t want him to end up overweight. Any advice?

At the moment he gets two aluminium trays and one Whiskas pouch. I leave a wee handful of biscuits out overnight, but he honestly hates them.

I’ve tried condition scoring him but it’s really hard.
Oh my god, the bottom right is hilarious! He's just beautiful too. As for food I think the dry stuff is the one that puts weight on them so he's doing ok.

mRsKbRoOkS

VIP Member
View attachment 931386
My biggest boy is 13 kg, he is massive! I'm in Australia but I think some of the European and American cats are quite a lot bigger. They really are very big! They have gigantic personalities as well.
o wow 😻😻😻😻 look at him he is beautiful!

13 kg !!! That is huge o my ! That is 28 lbs wow! How old is he ? X

Totally agree, I know quite a few people who never thought they were cat people until spending time around them! So cute the cat and dog get along, my cat used to get on well with my parents puppy when she was smaller but as I don’t live with them after a while of not seeing each other my cat now just finds the dog annoying, although the dog still wants to play. It is actually very funny as the dog doesn’t seem to understand that the cat wagging her tail doesn’t mean she is happy 😂
It depends where you live, my cats go outside as it is quite a quiet area, I waited until she was about 8months old. My parents live on a busy road but have a big garden, my dad started to introduce them to the garden by taking them out on leads gradually. They have always been fine and never really venture past the neighbours garden (at most). It is nerve wracking when they don’t come back for a day or so though, if you are nervous I would just suggest waiting until the cat is older, maybe a year or so, as they actually become quite lazy and just stay very close to home

Agree about getting a dog first, cats are very territorial and any new animal will make them angry, especially a dog. My parents got their cats first then a dog a year or so later, the dog tries to play with them ( still) but they just hiss or run away. Sometimes they will sleep on opposite nds of the same sofa but that’s about it
thank you for the advice! I’ll wait till he is a year and assess the situation then ❤

• Heart