The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have just done day 5 of couch to 10k and I am really enjoying it - but seem to be covering the exact same distance for the last 2 runs is this normal?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have just done day 5 of couch to 10k and I am really enjoying it - but seem to be covering the exact same distance for the last 2 runs is this normal?
Off the top of my head the run duration each week is exactly the same so if you’re covering the same distance in the same duration that means you’re consistent, well done!

Off the top of my head the run duration each week is exactly the same so if you’re covering the same distance in the same duration that means you’re consistent, well done!
Thanks for this! I’ve never done the programme before nor do I know anyone who has so I can’t ask these questions in person - found this thread at the right time!

I have a love hate relationship with running! Took up running back 2010 with my dad. Did a 10krace for life and then did a local 10k both with walking in, as couldn’t get to running a full 10k due to runnin solo n not havin a clear 10k route ( live 3 hrs away from my dad) did another 10k the following year. Then stoppped runnin for a bit, always dipped in n out.
Last year started running with a friend n we did our village 10k my times have been 1hr 14 my quickest was 1hr11, again stopped.
Just before Lockdown hit and i downloaded the 5k app and completed my first park run it was my last due to lockdown. Completed the app! But then again I stopped. Think I was bored of my running routes.
I’m not the fastest runner and I do walk if i have to especially in 10ks just helps recharge my legs.
I just dip in and out of running now. I went today and did a 5k loop but I walked more cos the fields were muddy n I had the wrong trainers on lol
There is something about running in the winter.
I’ve found since I’m older now I run even slower n my legs are a lot heavier.

I have a love hate relationship with running! Took up running back 2010 with my dad. Did a 10krace for life and then did a local 10k both with walking in, as couldn’t get to running a full 10k due to runnin solo n not havin a clear 10k route ( live 3 hrs away from my dad) did another 10k the following year. Then stoppped runnin for a bit, always dipped in n out.
Last year started running with a friend n we did our village 10k my times have been 1hr 14 my quickest was 1hr11, again stopped.
Just before Lockdown hit and i downloaded the 5k app and completed my first park run it was my last due to lockdown. Completed the app! But then again I stopped. Think I was bored of my running routes.
I’m not the fastest runner and I do walk if i have to especially in 10ks just helps recharge my legs.
I just dip in and out of running now. I went today and did a 5k loop but I walked more cos the fields were muddy n I had the wrong trainers on lol
There is something about running in the winter.
I’ve found since I’m older now I run even slower n my legs are a lot heavier.
Welcome! I hated running for a good 10 or so years (my younger sister is a very good runner and I’d pace her in workouts but would much prefer being ‘finish line support’). In about 2011 my family roped me into a 5km race and I hated every second of it. Fast forward to 2016 and I decided to run a half marathon just to see if I could. I haven’t stopped running since! The running bug will hit you soon enough too :p

Reactions: 1
I ended up running 25km last week :D I am annoyed with myself for not starting back up sooner. It was the weather which was putting me off mainly, I forgot it's fine once you get going. Been loving the fresh air and it's done wonders for my skin too it looks so much brighter!

I downloaded Strava again which I haven't used in years (was met with a post of my ex boyfriend's recent bike ride, lovely 😂) and signed up to the December 100km challenge 😬 hope I can do it.

Gyms back open from Wednesday - not sure what to do about this. I find running on the treadmill mind numbing but it is good for working on speed. My membership has expired too so I'll have to drop £250 on it as well, don't really need that just before Christmas! Tempted to just stick to running outdoors 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 5
I ended up running 25km last week :D I am annoyed with myself for not starting back up sooner. It was the weather which was putting me off mainly, I forgot it's fine once you get going. Been loving the fresh air and it's done wonders for my skin too it looks so much brighter!

I downloaded Strava again which I haven't used in years (was met with a post of my ex boyfriend's recent bike ride, lovely 😂) and signed up to the December 100km challenge 😬 hope I can do it.

Gyms back open from Wednesday - not sure what to do about this. I find running on the treadmill mind numbing but it is good for working on speed. My membership has expired too so I'll have to drop £250 on it as well, don't really need that just before Christmas! Tempted to just stick to running outdoors 🤷‍♀️
Honestly just run outdoors! Some days it'll suck but as long as you acknowledge this before hand and just accept it you'll do fine 😊

Reactions: 4
Honestly just run outdoors! Some days it'll suck but as long as you acknowledge this before hand and just accept it you'll do fine 😊
Thank you 😊 think the key is just to get up and get out there - said I was having a day off today anyway but the weather is particularly shocking where I am today 🤣

Definitely stick to running outside! The fresh air is really nice plus treadmill’s can be even harder on your joints...

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Well done 👍🏻 you have done amazing 🤩 that’s how I felt about going back to the gym after the first lockdown, I made the choice not to activate my membership and continue with my running, and so far it’s the best decision Iv made. You just feel more alive being outside running, So keep going 👏🏻

• Heart
Well done 👍🏻 you have done amazing 🤩 that’s how I felt about going back to the gym after the first lockdown, I made the choice not to activate my membership and continue with my running, and so far it’s the best decision Iv made. You just feel more alive being outside running, So keep going 👏🏻
Thank you!! Hoping I can keep it up, it’s just getting out there which is the problem most or the time! Great once I am though. I have coast and countryside around me so really easy on the eye.

This thread is a real motivator tbh 😄

Thank you!! Hoping I can keep it up, it’s just getting out there which is the problem most or the time! Great once I am though. I have coast and countryside around me so really easy on the eye.

This thread is a real motivator tbh 😄
Yeah it’s a great thread 👍🏻 Just think to yourself the quicker I get out there the quicker I’ll get back home

• Heart
Hello running thread! It's so nice to find a community of normal runners & couch to 5kers :) I remember when everyone was running 5ks to donate to Virgin/NHS in the spring, the amount of people posting sub 25 and even sub 20 times who aren't regular runners or exercisers was quite disheartening to me, as I am pretty fit but a terrible runner. I've been working on not judging my running style or speed, and learning to push aside the shame so I can finally enjoy running.

I did couch to 5k over summer and have been running semi-regularly since. My first goal was to be able to finish a 5k without walking, and now I can do that I am aiming for a sub 30 minute 5k (on about 31.20 currently), so I am trying out the Nike Run Club 5k plan. Partly posting this for accountability so I try to stick with it, haha: has anyone else used this plan to improve their speed?

Reactions: 6
I love this thread too !! I have been “doing” couch25k for years and only ever getting to week 3 and doing it for months. Well lately I’ve got to week 4 and repeated it for another week, but I’m definitely going to move onto week 5.
Today I have got a very bad tummy and awful cramps so feeling a bit sorry for myself 😒 Also a bit annoyed as I think I have this due to not washing a fig I had yesterday on my (post 🏃‍♀️). (Ate skin as well). Silly me.

Hello running thread! It's so nice to find a community of normal runners & couch to 5kers :) I remember when everyone was running 5ks to donate to Virgin/NHS in the spring, the amount of people posting sub 25 and even sub 20 times who aren't regular runners or exercisers was quite disheartening to me, as I am pretty fit but a terrible runner. I've been working on not judging my running style or speed, and learning to push aside the shame so I can finally enjoy running.

I did couch to 5k over summer and have been running semi-regularly since. My first goal was to be able to finish a 5k without walking, and now I can do that I am aiming for a sub 30 minute 5k (on about 31.20 currently), so I am trying out the Nike Run Club 5k plan. Partly posting this for accountability so I try to stick with it, haha: has anyone else used this plan to improve their speed?
This is so true! I remember thinking I am a pretty decent runner and then seeing all the times other people had done their 5k in when they were all 'I don't even run!' was such a buzzkill! I love Strava and tracking my runs but I am terrible at getting too caught up in the times. I did my first 10k at the weekend in an hour which I was so buzzing with and then seeing people do 12/13k in the same time totally bought me down which I know is so silly. Getting up and out is the main thing, the mental health side of things and the fresh air and exercise are so much more than the numbers on the screen :)

Reactions: 3
This is so true! I remember thinking I am a pretty decent runner and then seeing all the times other people had done their 5k in when they were all 'I don't even run!' was such a buzzkill! I love Strava and tracking my runs but I am terrible at getting too caught up in the times. I did my first 10k at the weekend in an hour which I was so buzzing with and then seeing people do 12/13k in the same time totally bought me down which I know is so silly. Getting up and out is the main thing, the mental health side of things and the fresh air and exercise are so much more than the numbers on the screen :)
Highly recommend checking out elapsed times on Strava (you can see it under the ‘View Analysis’ bit). It shows you the total duration of the run, including where they’ve paused their watch / phone and had a break.

There’s nothing wrong with taking a break, but if you’re comparing yourself against others, give yourself a fair shot and compare against peoples elapsed times.

Getting out the door and running is the important part, don’t worry about times and distance, enjoy being outside, feeling alive, clearing our mind and briefly forgetting what’s going on in our lives and world 🙏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Well, I did it, I have just finished week 3, run 3.

So hard but I have never even got this far.

It's just such a jump. And I'm very slow.

Will be repeating this week mind you!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Well done 👍🏻 your doing brilliant, time and speed doesn’t matter

Well done well done !! 👏 it’s such a buzz, just do what you can. But keep going !!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.