The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went for a run yesterday - week 6 run 2. Consisted of 2 10 min runs with a 3 min walk in between - I was very impressed with myself.only my 2nd run since August and wasn’t too bad - no more little walk breaks anymore which worries me a little !

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I went for a run yesterday - week 6 run 2. Consisted of 2 10 min runs with a 3 min walk in between - I was very impressed with myself.only my 2nd run since August and wasn’t too bad - no more little walk breaks anymore which worries me a little !
I’ve done c25k twice now, and I’m always surprised how well the plan works. It’s always a leap of faith but you can do it, your body has trained for it this far :)

Reactions: 4
Hey. I love running. One day I woke up and decided to go for a run, and 5 years later thats what I still do.

I'm not in it for the distance or time, just to get out the house and exercise. I'm an early, empty stomach runner. Happy to get up at 0530 and go. This is my sort of running weather, dark damp British mornings 😁

Don't bollock me but I wear primark trainers and my husband t shirt to run in! I have bought running leggings though as I like the feel of them and they stay in place.

To keep me motivated I sign up for virual running medals. I always see Park Runs and SO want to sign up, but I'm so so shy and I cringe at the thought of people watching me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
To keep me motivated I sign up for virual running medals. I always see Park Runs and SO want to sign up, but I'm so so shy and I cringe at the thought of people watching me.
Honestly I urge you to sign up! It's the best thing I ever did which sounds a bit over the top, except I actually mean it! No one will be watching you, everyone's too busy concentrating on their own journey round the course or having a natter with a mate.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've had two rest days going into a 10km TT on Sat. As much as I like running sometimes having a mental and physical break can be nice!

Hey. I love running. One day I woke up and decided to go for a run, and 5 years later thats what I still do.

I'm not in it for the distance or time, just to get out the house and exercise. I'm an early, empty stomach runner. Happy to get up at 0530 and go. This is my sort of running weather, dark damp British mornings 😁

Don't bollock me but I wear primark trainers and my husband t shirt to run in! I have bought running leggings though as I like the feel of them and they stay in place.

99% of the time people are preoccupied with their own running and won't be looking at everyone else! People at park run are so welcoming and you can make lifong friendships that transcend running etc. That said always do what you're comfortable with.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I've had two rest days going into a 10km TT on Sat. As much as I like running sometimes having a mental and physical break can be nice!

99% of the time people are preoccupied with their own running and won't be looking at everyone else! People at park run are so welcoming and you can make lifong friendships that transcend running etc. That said always do what you're comfortable with.
I agree with life long friends. I moved to a new town where I knew no one except my husband. I now have lots of local friends thanks to parkrun. You could always try volunteering there before running to get a feel of what its like

Reactions: 3
Ran the furthest I ever have yesterday ☺ Lately I've been doing 2x a 2.5km loop from my house, either going slowly while listening to an audiobook or quicker listening to music, depending on the day. But yesterday I decided to keep it nice and slow, but to do a 3rd loop and run 7.5km instead of 5km.

Thinking about starting a 6 week 10k training plan and signing up for a virtual one to do in early January, perhaps...

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I used to be big into running until earlier this year. Between lockdown/restrictions and pregnancy complications I had to stop. I'm 14 weeks post partum, I have the all clear from my GP to start back but I'm finding it so hard. My core is so weak and my legs are like lead. Has anyone else here been in my situation? How did you get back into it?

• Sad
Ran the furthest I ever have yesterday ☺ Lately I've been doing 2x a 2.5km loop from my house, either going slowly while listening to an audiobook or quicker listening to music, depending on the day. But yesterday I decided to keep it nice and slow, but to do a 3rd loop and run 7.5km instead of 5km.

Thinking about starting a 6 week 10k training plan and signing up for a virtual one to do in early January, perhaps...
Awesome! Very well done 👏🏻
I’ve been thinking about also doing a virtual run in January just to keep me on track. Do you know of any good ones? (or anyone else)

So pleased to find this thread.

I was super fit not that long ago then got diagnosed with a chronic illness that has left me fat, unfit, and too exhausted to run.

Been trying to get back into it and you guys have all made me feel so much better about my super slow pace. Really motivates me to keep going 🐌

Thank you 😌

• Heart
I used to be big into running until earlier this year. Between lockdown/restrictions and pregnancy complications I had to stop. I'm 14 weeks post partum, I have the all clear from my GP to start back but I'm finding it so hard. My core is so weak and my legs are like lead. Has anyone else here been in my situation? How did you get back into it?
I just took it slowly. Didn't beat myself up for being slow. Did 1k, then 2k etc. But remember you just had a baby so don't compare your body/times to pre baby. Good luck and have fun.

Awesome! Very well done 👏🏻
I’ve been thinking about also doing a virtual run in January just to keep me on track. Do you know of any good ones? (or anyone else)
I use this one as I like that I can choose which medal/theme I like. Also my husband cycles so he does some medals too. Easy to upload proof too. I just screenshot my phone screen with the dates and lengths and they happily accept

• Heart
Reactions: 3
For the cold, I'd really recommend getting one of those thick running headbands that go over your ears, or some ear warmers! They're a lifesaver.

There's an app called Charity Miles which is pretty fun and a good motivator. They donate to charity for miles you move, and theres loads of different charities you can choose from.

So glad I found this thread. I’ve just started up outdoor running again 10 days ago. I’m 5 months PP so having to start from scratch. I don’t do the C25k, I just do my own thing. Today I managed 1.35k (11mins) non stop & then a mix of running/walking up to 3.25k. I’m just focusing on increasing my stamina of how long I can be out for so today was circa 30mins. Surprised how much I’m enjoying running in this weather. I did manage to get up to a 10k between baby one & baby 2 so would love to get back there.
Any one have any tips on how not to get a stitch or what best to do if you get one as finding this is causing me to struggle at the mo, thanx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So glad I found this thread. I’ve just started up outdoor running again 10 days ago. I’m 5 months PP so having to start from scratch. I don’t do the C25k, I just do my own thing. Today I managed 1.35k (11mins) non stop & then a mix of running/walking up to 3.25k. I’m just focusing on increasing my stamina of how long I can be out for so today was circa 30mins. Surprised how much I’m enjoying running in this weather. I did manage to get up to a 10k between baby one & baby 2 so would love to get back there.
Any one have any tips on how not to get a stitch or what best to do if you get one as finding this is causing me to struggle at the mo, thanx
Congrats at getting back into it and for you bub! A stitch could be caused by a couple of things:
- are you eating before you run? If so, what, how much and how close to your run?
- are you overexerting yourself on runs? Try to keep to a pace where you could have a conversation easily. This may feel slower than walking atm but it'll help you get fitter faster and prevent injury (and stitches!)

In terms of getting rid of a stitch I normally start walking and clasp my hands behind my head. Basically that position really opens up your lungs so they can take in more oxygen and then get it to the muscles that are hurting.

I went out yesterday, week 6, run 2 (think someone else is at the same stage, I am also worried about the 20 min run with no walking break next).

I actually went further than the app needed me too, do ran a bit more. I covered 4.8km (didn't look til I got in the house, so was a bit annoyed that I didn't get to 5) and though I didn't run it all, I definitely ran at least 4km.

I ate 2 slices of toast an hour before I went out, one with peanut butter and the other with jam and I think it worked. Out again tomorrow afternoon 😀

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Ooh glad I found this thread :D

I desperately need to get back into running. The year before last I ran almost every day and entered several 10Ks and a couple of half marathons. I'm not the fastest by any stretch but had my 5k down to under 30 and average 10k time was about 1 hour 6 minutes. Ran one of the half marathons in 2 hours and 16 and it felt amazing! Was running a lot again the first lockdown then I got back into the gym, but now it's closed and I'm struggling to get out there in the cold and bad weather. I have Raynaud's disease so I really struggle with the cold but ironically running really helps it and I'm fine once I get going.

This thread might be the kick up the arse I need! I'm working from home again since this lockdown and I hardly leave the house unless it's to go out and buy food (or wine 😂) and barely move during the day, I feel like crap!

I keep saying to myself tomorrow morning I'll just get up and get out there, even if it's only for 15 minutes but I never do :(

Reactions: 5
Ooh glad I found this thread :D

I desperately need to get back into running. The year before last I ran almost every day and entered several 10Ks and a couple of half marathons. I'm not the fastest by any stretch but had my 5k down to under 30 and average 10k time was about 1 hour 6 minutes. Ran one of the half marathons in 2 hours and 16 and it felt amazing! Was running a lot again the first lockdown then I got back into the gym, but now it's closed and I'm struggling to get out there in the cold and bad weather. I have Raynaud's disease so I really struggle with the cold but ironically running really helps it and I'm fine once I get going.

This thread might be the kick up the arse I need! I'm working from home again since this lockdown and I hardly leave the house unless it's to go out and buy food (or wine 😂) and barely move during the day, I feel like crap!

I keep saying to myself tomorrow morning I'll just get up and get out there, even if it's only for 15 minutes but I never do :(
I always layer up so much in cold weather! A few years ago I found what I thought were running tights but are actually thermal ski tights lol. In winter I'll wear them, a singlet, long sleeve top and a shell jacket (basically a plastic bag) so then I can take off and put on clothes as I need lol. I generally start out freezing but I magically hit 800m and start sweating. I also wear a band/ buff over my ears and gloves on my hands!

I second the struggle getting up early, especially in Winter. It's when my motivation just diessssss. I find having my stuff ready and in the bathroom the night before and not touching my phone gets me out the door. Then I tell myself if I completely hate it I can go home after 1km. By then I've normally become a bit happier about being outside at 5am.

I always layer up so much in cold weather! A few years ago I found what I thought were running tights but are actually thermal ski tights lol. In winter I'll wear them, a singlet, long sleeve top and a shell jacket (basically a plastic bag) so then I can take off and put on clothes as I need lol. I generally start out freezing but I magically hit 800m and start sweating. I also wear a band/ buff over my ears and gloves on my hands!

I second the struggle getting up early, especially in Winter. It's when my motivation just diessssss. I find having my stuff ready and in the bathroom the night before and not touching my phone gets me out the door. Then I tell myself if I completely hate it I can go home after 1km. By then I've normally become a bit happier about being outside at 5am.
That’s a good idea! That’s the problem I find with layering up, after 5 minutes I am too hot and end up running round carrying everything 😂

and that’s what I always say to myself but I always end up carrying on. Not touching your phone is a tip too. I’m always up by 6am but I’ll get a coffee and sit reading on my phone or laptop then before I know it it’s too late to go out! Always have to run in the morning. It never happens after work. Can always think of a million excuses not to.

That’s a good idea! That’s the problem I find with layering up, after 5 minutes I am too hot and end up running round carrying everything 😂

and that’s what I always say to myself but I always end up carrying on. Not touching your phone is a tip too. I’m always up by 6am but I’ll get a coffee and sit reading on my phone or laptop then before I know it it’s too late to go out! Always have to run in the morning. It never happens after work. Can always think of a million excuses not to.
Hahaha I bought a really nice salomon shell jacket to get me through the Australian winter and because it's a glorified plastic bag it kept me really warm when I needed with just a singlet underneath but then was really lightweight to tie around my waste.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.