The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else use resistance bands to build strength In their legs? I know I have week glutes, and have been trying to strengthen them for ages but nothing works.

Great progress! And yes morning daylight makes such a difference! Can’t wait for those summer mornings where it’s actually warm. Honestly don’t think I’ve ever hated winter so much as this year in lockdown!
Thank you! And I know, same! Love going to the gym this time of year usually and going for a swim/sauna! There was a time in the summer I was having to get up at 4.45am to go for a run cos otherwise it was too warm, a distant memory now 🤣

Reactions: 1
Does anyone else use resistance bands to build strength In their legs? I know I have week glutes, and have been trying to strengthen them for ages but nothing works.
There’s loads of exercises you can do to build strength in legs (I definitely wouldn’t solely focus on on the weak area otherwise the other areas will them become the weak ones!)

Body weight exercises are good for building strength

I’ve used resistance bands in the past but to be honest don’t really think they do much!

I haven't ran since the end of December and I am finding it so hard to motivate myself to get back out and do it, it's getting warmer and lighter so I've really got no excuse but I just seem to have some sort of mental block preventing me from doing it, even though I know I enjoy it!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thanks🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

How many runs do you do in a week? I don’t care how far I go (minimum 5k) I just need to get out 4-5 times!
Hey, I try to get out 4-5 times a week to, depending what shift I’m on, I’m just a new runner started when COVID 19 came about, I’m absolutely loving running, before it would be fitness classes that I went to, but there’s just something about running 🥰

I haven't ran since the end of December and I am finding it so hard to motivate myself to get back out and do it, it's getting warmer and lighter so I've really got no excuse but I just seem to have some sort of mental block preventing me from doing it, even though I know I enjoy it!
I was feeling the same way a few wks ago, I had to throw myself out the door 😂 but once I was out it was fine, i keep saying to myself “go out a run today as you might not be able tomorrow” hope you get over that hurdle soon 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Thank you! And I know, same! Love going to the gym this time of year usually and going for a swim/sauna! There was a time in the summer I was having to get up at 4.45am to go for a run cos otherwise it was too warm, a distant memory now 🤣
Same, those days where if you left it until the sun came up it was too warm!! Madness.

I actually really rate resistance bands for glute work, they’re great for activation as opposed to actually building strength though I guess (I am not a PT or anything but I’ve had physio for weak glutes and hamstrings). I have small ones which I use for side steps (straight leg side steps with the band round the ankles and in a squat position round the knee if that makes sense) and they’re also good for doing clam shells - have a look on YouTube there will be plenty of videos. Then you can supplement with all kinds of other strength exercises once you’ve activated the right muscles!

I find it hard to get motivated to go but that feeling when it’s all done is fab and so worth it!!!

I find it hard to get motivated to go but that feeling when it’s all done is fab and so worth it!!!
I think I'm going to motivate myself by running to the bakery tomorrow morning!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Buzzing with my 5K time of 30:41 this morning and my splits actually getting shorter!

I’ve ran 26km this week, was going to have a day off today but decided to go cos the weather is actually half decent and it was my best run! Tbh have been spurred on by my cousin who has been doing this insane challenge for charity where he has to run a kilometre for every day/date of Feb which works out at 408km in total, so he’s running 21km today so a half marathon every day and then some until next Sunday 😂
25F89142-FFFE-494B-90C2-489900DF8FC3.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm going into the last week of couch to 10k (started halfway through though as I did C25k not long before that) and not gonna lie it's getting hard. The runs themselves are fine but feel absolutely exhausted after!!!

Reactions: 3
I did a 5km trail run tomorrow and currently soaking in the bath cos will need to go out tomorrow as well. I normally do Sat/Mon/Wed, but didn't go out yesterday. Cos of the weather.

Can anyone recommend me a jacket? I don't want to spend a fortune, but needs something lightweight, shower proof and won't just build up condensation cos I'm a hot runner...

I'm going into the last week of couch to 10k (started halfway through though as I did C25k not long before that) and not gonna lie it's getting hard. The runs themselves are fine but feel absolutely exhausted after!!!
I’m the same! I’m finding it incredibly hard and haven’t found this hard with the increases. I’m considering going back to the week with interval runs before doing the final week because it’s totally wiping me out!

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I’m not getting any faster? I go running about 4 times a week, usually a 5k (or the odd 10k but they’re so hard!). My 5k time is about 28 minutes, which I got about 2 months ago and was so so happy with, but now I just can’t get any faster and it’s really frustrating! If anything I’m getting slower? Anyone got any tips?

Reactions: 4
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I’m not getting any faster? I go running about 4 times a week, usually a 5k (or the odd 10k but they’re so hard!). My 5k time is about 28 minutes, which I got about 2 months ago and was so so happy with, but now I just can’t get any faster and it’s really frustrating! If anything I’m getting slower? Anyone got any tips?
You need to do proper training sessions rather than just running. If you want to run fast you need to train fast!
EG if your 5k pace is 9 mins per mine, you need to train at paces quicker than that eg 8:45 and much quicker but for shorter distances. Sessions including :
8x400m
5x1km
3x1 mile
With walking or jogging recoveries. You must train fast to race fast 😀
*each session must have a warm up and a cool down of at least mile*
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I’m the same as you

I ran just over 5 miles (8km) yesterday in 52 min (10 min miles approx) .. I normally do 3 miles in 27 mins.. not impressed 🤣 I obv struggle in the wind

I’m also too competitive I share it all on Strava so compare myself to other people constantly

Newbie to the thread here. I used to run quite often, did a few half’s... then got dodgy hips, had surgery and stopped. Recently started again and decided a half marathon later in the year is a good plan.

why do I do this to myself? 😂

I’m comfortable back to 5ks,with a couple of 10ks thrown in... I know I can do it,but as I still have ongoing hip issues wondering if it’s a good idea...

I also don’t really like running. I love how it makes me feel after, I love being able to eat more, I love medals... but not actually running

From what I've read you need to go on longer runs. Your cardio ability will then increase which will allow you to run faster for the 5k. But also as it was mentioned before do some fast runs too. Probably a combination of doing 5k, one shorter, and one longer run a week could help. Just running 5k each time at the same pace will just keep you at the same level, training is about progressive overload so making it harder each time. My 5k time already improved slightly when I started working towards 10k

• Wow
Same! I was doing 40km a week in horrendous weathers, local legend galore on Strava 💁🏼‍♀️ but really cba atm. I got stopped by a knee injury, waited weeks for a treadmill (still unused) and have no get up and go due to work etc. I seem to spend all my time decorating now (procrastination) and cursing the running newbies as I drive the dog the park 🙊 I went for a 5km at the weekend and it was a killer, my splits were almost a minute slower and I stopped twice.

Has your work got busier or is lockdown depleting your motivation? You’ll be more up for it in the warmer weather and sneer at this inactive period 🙂 Good luck to everyone experiencing the same. Spring will sort us out.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.